Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Fusion due to bursted L1 (motorcycle accident)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone else had a similar surgery? I had my accident on August 10th of this year and surgery on the 12th. My T11-L3 are now fused together to hold my bursted L1 in place.

So I'm a couple months out now, I still can't walk since my legs got so weak from being in the hospital. I got home exactly 1 month ago and was in the hospital for 1 month at Eden Medical Center in Castro Valley, CA and then to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in San Jose, CA.

My back feels great... no problem there, never was. I am confident that my back will not be an issue.

The issue is nerve pain. When I went into surgery you couldn't so much as blow my way or I'd start crying...and I'm not a cryer.

I can sleep some what ok but it's to the point where some nights I wake myself up from the sheets causing ridiculous amounts of pain againts my legs.

It's from my knees down....anyone else have this experience?
advertisement

Comments

• Hi and welcome to spine-health.com

Did you have the leg nerve pain after the accident and before surgery, or only after surgery?

It sounds like it could be nerve pain emanating from your lower lumbar area. The following link talks about this http://www.chirogeek.com/000_Sciatica_General_Infor.htm

Increased leg nerve pain for a while after lumber surgery is quite common as usually the surgeon needs to move around nerve roots during the surgical procedure. This irritates the nerves and coupled with inflammation around the surgical site can take a long time (weeks to months) to settle down. In my case it took 1 - 2 months for the sciatic nerve pain in my leg to disappear after my lumbar surgery.

Have you talked to your surgeon about this? Are you on any nerve pain medication? There are some good medications specifically for nerve pain such as Neurontin, Lyrica or Topamax. Normal analgesic (even narcotic based) pain killers wont help much with nerve pain.

All the best... Bruce

Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator