Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

stem cell research

cla_guaccla_gua Posts: 186
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Has anyone done any research on stem cells used to rebuild bulging or herniated discs? I found this web-site Regenexx.com where they are apparently doing it.

Clarissa
advertisement

Comments

• This doc is about 6 miles from my house, and I've never heard about this. I will have to look around for info on the doc.--Mazy
  • It sounds of course to good to be true. But I do like the stem cell part where it rebuilds the damaged disc and you keep your God given disc. I am going to do more research on this. I know $7500 and trips to Colorado are expensive. If I add up everything I've spent on preventative treatments I am sure it is close to $7500 or even more.

Clarissa
  • I noticed this doc has several good websites. He's done several good technical papers. I emailed him yesterday, and I'm hoping for a response. He also does prolotherapy and has a technical paper I found interesting on instability. I appreciate the research you have done in finding out about this.I will let you know if I find out anything else. ---Mazy
  • Mazy- Sounds great.
    Clarissa
  • Clarrisa,

There are companies doing research into repairing regenerating damaged intervertebral discs via stem cells. I have done extensive research on this topic. Its important to note though however that no company (Regenerex or whoever) has proven through the FDA that their product works. So buyer beware. The companies I am listing also have not proven there product works but have been successful so far in repairing regenerating damaged discs and are on track of having an available product.

Check out the company Mesoblast. It’s an Australian company who has had success in using stem cell to repair discs. They are currently in the process of requesting people for the beginning of the phase II study. I don’t know if they are accepting US residents yet because I requested to be a patient and I have not heard from anyone.

Cartilix was a company that came about with the same goal but they recently were acquired by another company and are not pursuing this research anymore.

I have not read any news articles on Regenerex and have not heard about them. This doesn’t mean they are not legitimate, it just means that if they are successful and legitimate then it would be in the news. Back injury is the second leading cause of disability in the United States. Maybe its only a matter of time before they are.

I read some people are suffering from knee problems also on this forum. Angioblast (a US company)is in trials to use stem cells to regenerate knee cartilage. They also had some success and are also doing research into regenerating heart muscle via stem cells. Mesoblast owns 32% of Angioblast.

I hope this helps.
  • Stem Cell treatment for Orthopedics is finally here within our grasp and may be the help we are longing for.

Dr. Joseph Purita and his staff have been featured in numerous publications. From The New York Times to ESPN Magazine, the media have been abuzz about Dr. Purita's recent work with New York Yankees pitcher Bartolo Colon. His breakthrough stem cell treatment and professional sports relationships made him a household name among injured athletes and brought orthopedic stem cell therapy into the spotlight.

He is the director of the Institute of Regenerative and Molecular Orthopedics. They combines traditional orthopedics with cutting-edge techniques in regenerative medicine that utilize platelet rich plasma (PRP), an assortment of stem cells (such as fat mesenchymal and bone marrow stem cells), and various supplements and growth factors. By integrating these various techniques , they can provide effective non-surgical solutions for common orthopedic conditions.

According to their website conditions that can be treated range from basic tennis elbow problems to degenerative arthritis afflicting major joints that usually require joint replacement. Between these poles lie most orthopedic problems—herniated discs and trigger points in the spine; enthesopathy and rotator cuff injuries; and a plethora of meniscal and ligamentous injuries of the hip, ankle, and knee.
  • marketweismmarketweis Posts: 16
    edited 05/08/2013 - 5:34 AM
    From all that I've read about this, including comments from long-time surgeons, this is going to be pretty ground-breaking in terms of treatment. I read one surgeon who thinks that all surgeons will have to adapt to treating people this way rather than traditional operations because this is so promising.

I also know some ortho facilities are "quietly" doing research studies on how well this treatment really works. So I think it's really close to being accepted as a great, new option for treating disc problems, which is GREAT....my fear is that insurance companies will still want to classify this as "experimental" too long after doctors and patients are raving about it.
advertisement