Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks post surgery(2 level acdf)..and I'm going back to work!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
ever hear the expression "I feel like a brand new used one"?
Well.. That describes me to a T. I had my first post op Dr. visit on Monday. Got my stitches removed and x-rays..basically I was given a thumbs up. Dr said my cervical spine looks great, my incision site looks great, and he said I could begin driving as soon as I thought I could turn my neck around. He told me to start doing stretching exercises for my neck and I have to say.. they are making me feel more limber up there..
And I am now going back to work. Exactly 2 weeks after my surgery..I'm kind bummed about it because my time off is over but I'm also ready to go back to work..
So I wish everyone with upcoming surgeries the same speedy recovery that I have had...and much thanks to everyone who helped calm my nerves before mine!
advertisement

Comments

• What type of work do you do? Start small. I too went back after 2 weeks post acdf c 5/6. Personally I think it did much more harm. I started 1/2 time for a week or so. Then full 8-10 hour days. I don't have a physically challenging job. I stilll think I went back too soon.
    Be careful. Don't overdo. Rest when you can.
    I wish you well. It sounds like you are recovering nicely. I don't want to see you harm yourself in any way.
  • I work as an office manager for a shipping company. As much as I don't really want to (I am really getting used to and enjoying being home) I have to go back to work. I have used up all my vacation time and really have no choice. On the same note, I also feel like I am ok health-wise to go back as well. My range of movement in my neck is back to almost normal, it's actually better than it was before surgery. I am not going back full speed ahead and I plan on being very careful and aware of my body as well. Screwing up my recovery is not an something I am going to do..trust me. Tomorrow I am going in for about half a day to catch up on some things, see how it feels and I start back full time on Monday. Full time is 7-8 hours..
    Thank you for your concern, I am going to take your advice and rest when I can.. Luckily I have a couch in my office so I have a place to lay down if I need to. :D

Wish me luck!!
  • Hi Chelle:

Just wanted to say "thanks" for the inspiration. I'm scheduled for the same surgery on 11/7. My neurosurgeon said to expect a month out of work (I manage a team of LTD claim analysts) -- or perhaps 6 weeks. I'm a pretty motivated person, so I asked if he'd consider releasing me prior to 4 weeks, and he said he would . . . as long as I was in a good place with regard to the fusion and I work part time. I laughed at that. Part-time for me is 8 hours per day, LOL.

I'm glad to hear that you're doing well!!! Keep me updated on your progress!!!!