Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Life back to normal after more than 15 weeks of Lower back pain.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Management
Hello there,

I wanted to share my expirence with all who gave up "HOPE".

I will tell my story in short,

1. Went to aerobics for weight loss.
2. Twisted my Lower back muscle (Really bad).
3. After 2 days of excrutiating pain went for diagnosis.
4. Told by the doc that there could be a muscle tear or Disc slip and that it could be an year or so before the pain could substantially come down. :SS
5. Went for another opinion and was told that such pains will be your best friend for life. @)
6. Went for third opinion(Life changing decision). Told by the doc that it is not the treatment but your approach that could make you get better in a few months or as my 2nd doc said "Pain for life". :jawdrop:

First thing he suggested me was to take real gud care about my diet. It wud lower your weight slowly. But you will be glad when you shed those pounds. I cant resist tasty food =P~

Gave me some exercises and told me to do only those which will make me comfortable.

Told me to walk 1/2 a mile or whatever you are comfortable with, daily(This was after 20 days of complete bed rest).

Told me to sleep on one side with a small cushion between my legs or a small cushion below my back if i sleep straight. Striclty told me not to sleep on my stomach.

Avoid running or any fast paced activity, do not use your reflexes however gud they might be.

Avoid sitting up for long times and do not relax in awkward positions. When you are standing for a long time avoid standing on both legs, insted keep one leg at a slightly higher position.

Wear a Sarco Lumber belt to avoid twisting and keep your back straight and firm. Remove it from time to time and take to bed whenever you feel the pain is increasing.

Avoid journeys especially long ones, and the ones which require for you to sit up. Strictly "AVOID DRIVNG".

Well its a pretty long list of Dos and Donts. But i conformed with all of them.
Today i am almostpain free.(sometimes i get minute pinching pain but thats alright) <:P
Although i didnt loose too much weight but i lost a few kilo's. Working to loose some more.

Well all this changed my attitude. Now i do not think i have had a severe back pain in the past, but i only think how i worked to get it fixed.

By the way i took 2 months leave for the treatment. For me it is better to sacrifice 2 months for treatment rather than making pain your best friend for the rest of your life.

My cousin had the same problem and he didnt abide by the solution offered to him. He is still suffering. Although he has started towards getting his health back but complains about the effort :''( he has to put in(Crybaby).

Well i would admmit that my pain was not that bad, like that of the people i have read here. I wouldnt say that you can make 100% recovery in no time, but take a break and think about recovery, afterall 6 months or 1 year is not a big deal compared to lifelong misery.

So all the Best to people who are fighting to get their lifes back to normal. God favours the brave.

PS: A few days ago i ran to catch my bus, and forgot about my docs advice. I got my bus and realised what i just did. I didnt feel any pain and I felt so happy and had an immense feeling of pride. I didnt win a 100 mts dash in olympics but i did outraced "PAIN".
advertisement

Comments

• Hiya,
    Welcome to Spine Health >:D< . It is so nice to hear about success stories :) . I am so glad you got better and are also feeling better :O . I can not speak for everyone here, but i have always done exactly what my doctors have told me, and have had all the treatments available to me #:S . I have followed there ragimes to the letter, but in my case it has not done any good :( . I do think it depends on your medical problems that you have to how you recover, and everyone heals differently and some not as quick as others :? . Since the car accident back on 2001 i have just got worse :''( , i had a disctectomy in 2003, and i have just got worse since then :( , i am still under going treatment, and i am on a drug programme with PM @) , which now the medication that i have been taking may have caused others problems and nothing to do with my back :''( . Anyway Good Luck! :) Take Good Care of Your Back! >:D<

Angie :H
  • I am so glad to hear that you were able to get your life on track and that your injury was not more serious. It sounds that your issues were in the muscles rather than the discs. But you do have a very good point about listening to the docs! Thanks for sharing.
  • @painintheback

yes i didnot have a surgery.
    thats why i said mine was not that serious, but 2 weeks completely in the bed, i guess it was baaaaaad.

just wanted to make people happy and give them some hope.

cheers :)))
  • Did you have an MRI? I had short term back pain in November and then it resided somewhat, then the leg pain came and by February I was off work with a herniated disc and impingement on a nerve and annular tear and haven't returned to work yet. The Insurance company relates it to my type of work that aggravates the back as well as DDD.Do you have sick benefits at work? It's accumulative as of the last few weeks that you work. I hope there is nothing more than pulled muscles. Keep us posted. Take care Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement