Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thoughts on Narcotic Meds

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
:? Hi everyone. I have been on Vicodin 5/500 3x a day and 15 mg morphine 2x a day for about a month and a half. I'm waiting for my neuro surgeons office to schedule one more MRI for me. He was not satisified with the quality of the previous open MRI.

He is thinking about doing either a C5-C6 ACDF or possibly posterior foraminotamy. My DO told me about 2 weeks ago he wanted to start cutting back on the vicodin because otherwise pain management post op would be more difficult. He also mentioned issues that could arise with breathing difficulty post op.

I got a new prescription of the vicodin and morphine today at the pharmacy. I took my evening meds. I notice sometimes with the vicodin it will make me very drowsy and kind of spacey without really alleviating my left arm, back and neck pain that much. But it puts me in a state of mind where I don't care about the pain so much. That happened this evening.

Other times these meds definitely help with the pain to a satisfying degree without making me particularly drowsy or spacey.

Odd, and I can't explain the variations of results.

Thanks for listening,

Ken GreyEagle
Western Band Cherokee
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,722
    experienced some of what you are going through. I was on Oxycontin ER for almost 2 full years and during that time, using Oxycodone IR as breakthrough medication.
    There would be times when I took the medication and I would be in total control, just having more pain relief. I believe that was mostly due to the way ER (Extended Release) medication works. With the IR (Immediate Release) pain medication I would from time to time get a bit spacy. And prior to starting with the Oxycontin ER I was on Vicodin, different doages for almost 2 year before the Oxy. With vicodin, I noticed that I would get spacy. But after some time, my tolerance changed and I would need another pill or higher dosage before I would get that feeling.

If I could graph it here:

ER ___+____+_____+______
    IR +++++++______________

Which basically is trying to illustrate that the ER medication provides more of a constant even release so that you maintain that level over an eight hour time frame.
    Now, the IR, gives you the quick but short lived burst of pain relief.

As far a PostOp concerns, I believe your doctor is just being careful so as to not to have you develop a tolerance for the vicodin. so that after surgery, that medication or something else would be more effective

Wishing you the best
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • GreyEagle, somebody just posted a question exactly the same as yours a few days ago. Scroll down to Questions about pain meds for responses.
  • I know with me, it had a lot to do with how much food I had in my stomach. On an empty or partially empty stomach i would get the spacey/sleepy feelin u talkin about. On a full stomach, i couldn't even tell i had taken anything. Just my experience.
  • I really didnt think that my pain meds, which I just started taking Kadian 10mg 2x day with percocet 10's for break thru, would be a big issue with my upcoming hysterectomy. Now after reading these posts I am concerned about my pain meds and relief post-op and even more concerned about my breathing during the proceedure. Any ideas or suggestions on this???

Thanks!
    karenc
  • My NS said the same... it would be harder to control pain post op. makes since? I wonder if the drug co mis (diluted batches) to save money, because, I as well as others have noticed (the working/not working)with Ambian Cr and moreso with generics. My thoughts only, of course no proof. Rose
  • More than likly the cause for meds not working is human error, at least in my case, ie too much pop (caffien)I couldnt live without ambian,I couldnt sleep with out it!!! and only when I drink too much pop then I dont sleep well. Maybe like foods cause and pop cause the meds frm not working
  • <:P Do me a favor and try and go 48 hours watching your sugar intake and discontinue the pop all together. You get water pounded into your head, believe me, I know its not sweet, tasty, and bubbly but IMHO it works wonders in aiding your pain medication. I don't have a clue why, but I did as my Dr. said and WALLA! I take a considerable amount more of morphine than you and it also helped with the sleep I so desperately need, when before nothing would let me take more than a nap, now at least it's a long nap.

• That makes sense that you would feel the effects of these meds more if you take them before eating. That is what happens to me if I take the Vicodin on an empty stomach. I get to feeling spacey.

Today though I've been feeling tired and kind of spacey all day and now its almost 1 in the morning. The morphine 15 mg is the extended release.

I will say this: this combination of meds does relieve the pain in my arms so the pain is tolerable day to day. I'm just happy I'm finally getting another MRI next week followed by an appt with my NS Nov 4th.

Thanks for all your sharing!

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
advertisement