Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not the most romantic topic...

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
I would like to know the best stool softener that you have used. I don't want to go 12 times a day, but would like for this natural thing to happen as it should, without great pain.

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement

Comments

• only becos it rather depends on what other and all meds you have and other conditions too.

Drink loads of water.
    Some folk swear by warm milk. Doesn't help me tho.

Eat plenty Fibre (fruit & Veg...prunes are excellent, so are figs)

There are 3 kinds of laxatives.
    Stimulants, softeners and bulkers.

• Stephanie...I had really good luck with Fiber Choice tablets, and always have some prunes on hand also.
  • hopefully no emergencies necessary
  • I actually like the taste of prunes. :)
  • The best I have every known and will ever try is a thing called CALM you can by at any pharmacy, vit. store or grocery store.
    It is magnesium and I will never go to bed without it and have never had any problems since starting it.
    If you can not find it just use reg magnesium vitamins, you cant take to much and if you did it would just cause diarrhea, start with a low dose and work up until you find a good dose for you.

This is just a suggestion!!!! Patsy
  • the hard way (pun intended), if i know i'm gonna start back taking an opiate, i will start with the Beneful 6-12 hours ahead to avoid a "rescue" treatment.
  • and all of the others who have given advice on this. I am sure I will get a chance to let you know how grateful I am for one of these. #:S

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Works very well and I was told by my doc that it is very safe. I can not take the other kind because they contain sodium which I am hypersensitive to. Good luck.
    BTW- My doc told me never to go more than 3 days without BM as it can cause serious problems.
  • I find a handful of prunes about 10 of em work wonders
  • prune juice is pretty good - but never really cold straight from the fridge cos that can cause other problems!

make sure you drink loads of water with whatever you take - fibre type stuff is pretty useless without water cos it will just cause bloating and more blockage.

i found the best thing apart from natural stuff was lactulose - not sure if it is called something else in the states.

isnt it nice the things we have to deal with!! /:)

good luck!
  • This one is a constant fight for me.. preventative maintenance is key. I use miralax 1 week on/1 week off, to keep it working, plus 6-8 glasses of water a day, and a combo softener STIMULANT. The stimulant part is SO important, as what causes a lot of the problems is these opiates slow or stop little muscle contractions that move everything along, it dries up, and, voila! problems. The stimulant helps SO much, by bringing back some of those muscle movements. I take 2 in the morning, 2 at night. Generic for peri-colace, has docusate sodium (softener..) and sennosides 8.6mg (stimulant). This has been working for me for months now. If I get lazy, things get ugly. If I'm on top of my schedule, all is well. If you exercise and sweat a lot, drink more water. Water.. water.. and yes, as someone said, fiber is NO good without water. Exercise seems to help too, in general. Swimming, running, anything you can do. 'Night

JWM
  • To all of you for responding to this post. I got some great info.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • To all of you for responding to this post. I got some great info.

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement