Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NEED OPINION RE:SPINAL FUSION,LUMBAR SPINAL STENOSIS

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Spinal Stenosis
IM 63 YR OLD DIGNOSIS:X-RAY,MRI,DISCOGRAM SPINAL STENOSIS,SPONDYLOLISTHESIS, OLD FRACTURE BODY OF L3-L4 SURGERY HEMILAMECTOMY 20 YRS AGO PROPOSED FUSION L3-L5 WITH 2 CAGES COLLAPSE DISC SPACES CONCURRENT PAIN AT L3 AND L5 SYMTOMS STENOSIS ALSO OLD MENISCIS SURGERY BOTH KNEES AND ABDOMINAL AORTIC ANYERISM 4mm .WHAT AM I LOOKING AT?IM A DISABLED VET AT 100% NEUROSURGEON AT PENNSLYVANIA HOSP.IN PHILA SHOULD I ROLL THE DICE? I APPRICIATE ANY INPUT.MANY THANKS CANISIRATUS
advertisement

Comments

• had at least 3 opinions from different docs? Only you can say if your pain is severe enough to roll the dice. There are no guarantees with fusion but I do understand that some people get to the point that they have exhausted all other conservative options and the pain is too much to bear. Sorry if I was not too much help to you but I did at least want to welcome you to the forum. I am sure that others will be along shortly to offer their opinions. You may also want to check out the back surgery section. There are lots of post fusion patients there that will be more than happy to share their experience with you. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • IM FACING MULTI-LEVEL LUMBAR SPINAL FUSION THAT INVOLVES L3-L 5 WITH COMPLICATIONS OF CAGES 2 THE AREA OF AN OLD FRACTURE AT L3-4 AND STENOSIS AT THESE LEVELS I HAVE LIVED WITH BACK PAIN SINCE AN ACCIDENT WHILE IN SERVICE,ARMY,IN 1968 I WILL JUST SAY THE V.A.MEDICAL CARE THROUGH ALL THESE YEARS HAS A BEEN MORE OF A BURDEN THAN A CURE OR MEDICAL SOLUTION IN 1986 I HAD A HEMILAMICTOMY IN A PRIVATE HOSPITAL AND EVENTUALLY HAD THEM PAY FOR THE PROCEEDURE AT THE PRESENT TIME SPINAL STENOSIS LIMITS MY WALKING TO LESS THAN A BLOCK WHEN THE PAIN FORCES ME TO SIT DOWN NOW THE V.A.SENDS ME TO A NEUROSURGEON AT PENN I GUESS I SHOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR THAT.AFTER A BATTERY OF TESTS X-RAY,MRI,DISCOGRAM AND EPIDURAL STERIODS I HAVE A DECISION REGARDING MULTI-LEVEL LUMBAR SPINAL FUSION THE MRI REVEALED AN ABDOMINAL AORTIC ANUERYSM AT 4mm IM TOLD IT SHOULD NOT PRESENT A PROBLEM SO DO I WANT TO WALK WITHOUT PAIN IVE HAD 4 SURGERIES TO THE KNEES AND BACK BUT THIS ONE HAS RISKS THAT COULD BRING YEARS OF GRIEF OR WORSE FROM RESEARCH AND PEOPLE IN THE MEDICAL FIELD HAVE ADVISED OF THE POSSIBLE COMPLICATIONS OF A MULTI-LEVEL FUSION IVE ALWAYS GOT AROUND REGARDLESS OF THE PAIN AND FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS THE ONLY MEDICINE THAT QUIETS THE PAIN IS MORPHINE AND I SLEEP WELL ALL NIGHT THATS A BLESSING FOR ME.THIS IS MY SECOND POST AND I APPRICIATE ANY KNOWLEDGABLE INFO AVAILABLE MAYBE SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN THERE DONE THAT OR A PROFESSIONAL IN THE MEDICAL FIELD I APPRICATE THE TIME TAKEN TO ADVISE IN THIS MATTER....THANKS...CANISIRATUS