Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New - L4-L5 large left paracentral disc extrusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi. Just wanted to introduce myself. I am 33 and started to get back pain in April 2008 when moving awkwardly to remove a low plug from a jack. Since that time nothing has been the same. I received an MRI in April 2008 highlighting "large left paracentral disc extrusion (1.5 cm x 0.9 cm). which obliterates the left lateral recess severely compressing the L5 nerve causing deformity of the thecal sac"

The symptoms seems to have disappeared in June but then came back in a more chronic but mild form in September.

I was taking Physio which helped make the pain "amangeable" but I still have a chornic pain which prevents me from lifting my daughter and being independant with her (my #1 priority).

As I become more informed I may have more intelligent questions, but my initial goal is to know if surgery should be contemplated or if Pilates / Chriropractic intervention should be sufficient. I need to change the status quo and hope to be informed.!
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to spine-health.....
  • have you seen any docs since the reoccurence of your pain? They would really be the ones to tell you what you may or may not need. My only suggestion to you would be to try all conservative measures before opting for surgery. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you should make every attempt to avoid surgery. there are conservative measures which can often help. about Pilates, i do know that any exercise can be tailored to work with your back pain. always make sure your instructor knows of your problem and can assist you in this. doing pt is bound to help and everything from working your core on the exercise ball to walking and swimming can be of benefit. =D> check out the top of the forum under "Treatments" and "Conditions" for more information. it might be time to see a pain management doctor about medications. there may be a pain medication which could help with your pain. perhaps an anti inflammatory medication. it sounds like you just need a little more relief and you could make it. :? perhaps this could be conservative measures. good luck and your doctor always knows best. if it does come down to surgery , please get more than one opinion!!! Jenny :)
  • Wow, I really appreciate the quick turnaround and support. You guys are great!

I went back to my Physiotherapist after the latest episode to again make the pain manageable...after treatment, I advised him that the milder chronic pain remains this time (unlike the previous episode in April), he recommended Pilates to strengthen my core to minimize stress on the back. That is the path I am on now. I also went back to my doctor whose attitude is that "one you start with back problems it usually stays" and that the strengthening of core muscles is my key alternative. Anto Inflammatories were not recommended. I think I may get a second opinion on that.

I look forward to keeping you informed. I got very depressed after my latest episode in September as I realized this pain was likely "here to stay" after having no back pain before so I am trying to stay positive and adapt my lifestyle accordingly. Not easy...so i want to hear the epxriences of others so I can at least ask the right questions to a medical professional.

• i know what you are going through,i first hurt my back in jan this year and after about 4 months of pain it started to feel a bit better,but it flared up again really bad and i could not sit down because my bum was numb !,started to get over that and 1 week before i was to go to spain it flared up really bad,was crying waith pain and could not sit down or do anything so i had to cancel my holiday ??i had a injection last weds but no releif yet,il have to see if it works or not,its made it flare up at the mo,i know it is very frustrating,and like yourself have started pilates,just a few excercises at the mo,i am on loads of meds,and just want some relief !! what meds are you on ? have you been to pain clinic yet ?if not ,keep on pestering the doctor to send you,it is a long road and the quicker you start the better ??.
  • Hi, 49 yr. old female...8 year history of low back pain. 2004 diagnosis, bulging disc, L4-5, Ruptured disc with nerve impingment L5-S1. Followed recommendations of well known Ortho Surgeon and had Open discectomy...Should have done my research...4 years later, I'm worse off than before. L2-L3/L3-L4/L4-L5/L5-S1, Broad based disc bulges..L2-3-4, L4-5 Annular tear in discs..L-5/S-1 Focal disc protusion into paracentral recess, canal stenosis, enhancing fibrosis,and the ever present osteoarthritis... Have had series of epidurals...therapy...chiropractic...acupuncture...Ortho doc gave up on me when I was diagnosed with MS, blaming all my pain on that. I have had ENOUGH...research shows microscopic surgery would have been my best bet first time around..wish I'd known..am considering micro now...any comments or advice ? Now can add neuropathy (nerve pain in right leg)to list...Family doc put me on Neurontin (6 pills a day) ( to fool pain receptors in the brain) this drug was developed for seizures and I don't wish to continue this for the rest of my life. Already do streching exercises, and take enzymes for immune health and drink LOTS of water.
advertisement