Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

RECOVERY thread for Oct/Nov surgery Post your STORY here :)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi,
We started one for Aug/Sept recovery of spinal and cervical surgery.
I am seeing posts here and there of recovery from Oct sugeries.
So I thought I would start this for ya'all!! :X
So you can compare notes and keep the support going through the process.
It really has helped in the other thread.

So post your story here if you have come home and are recovering!!!!!! >:D< >:D< >:D< O:)
advertisement

Comments

• BUMPING THIS UP since it seemed to get lost. And no one has posted yet.
    Not that you have to post here.
    But it has worked well with Aug/Sept recovery so ya all can keep up with your progress.

So here ya go lets hear some stories!!!

Lots of love and hugs to all that had their surgery already in October and hope all is going well for you.
    >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Ok you October patients. Tomorrow is the 31st where are you all ?? B) B) B) B) B)
    Just wondering as I am seeing posts here and there. Just concerned about everyone that had their surgery at the beginning of Oct.
    It just helps so many others knowing your progress and you all can compare notes ;) ;) ;)

Well if ya don't want to post or just havn't yet thats ok to.
    Guess we just have alot of big mouths from aug/sept recovery club =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) Oh boy can we talk 8} 8} 8} :D :D

HOPE YOUR ALL DOING WELL!!! Post when you can and are able!!!
    Lots of love and hugs
    Terri >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< :X :X :X O:) O:) O:)
  • ...I'll have some good recovrery news within a week or so. Whether good or bad I'll post back here after 11/04. Other than being in post op pain I hope to have a positive report. =D> =D> =D>
  • I want to wish you the very best of luck Tuesday!!!
    Just remember to go by all your drs rules. Take your meds on time whether needed or not, because believe me you will need them, and if you skip like I did you will feel it.
    Sometimes you think oh wow I'm feeling better and then BOOM.

Lots of ice/heat which ever your dr want. The ice is great for swelling and numbing of the incision.

Use that grabber all the time. Do not get frustrated when you cannot sleep, or it gets boring because that is all a given.

Please post when your able!!!!!
    Again GOOD LUCK O:) O:) O:) O:)
  • Had my surgery on the 22 of October. A 2 level discectomy/fusion of the cervical spine. My first surgery and hopefully only surgery for the problem. I've had spine problems since I was a teenager and had to wear a hideous milwaukee back brace for scoliosis. Did you know those things are obsolete? Yeah 20 years to late for my high school social life. I survived that with much humor and for a few years was problem free. In my late teens I suffered a double concussion (did you even know that was possible) and whiplash in an accident. It knocked c5 out of alignment and I've been in hell 20 years because of that. I guess thats fairly common though. I had quite a few bad doctors over those years. Most who only wanted to through drugs at the problem...even one who suggested that I "keep a diary of what I eat"? Things slowly worsened until last year. Maybe age catching up to me but things started progressing rapidly around September of last year. Pain so bad I couldn't even lift my head off the pillow. Arm pain and weakness to the point that I have lost quite a bit of muscle mass in my right arm. I did PT but never got past the stretching because my arms would go numb everytime they turned my head to stretch the muscles. In August of this year...I turned my head to say something to my mother and heard a horrible popping/ripping sound followed by the worst pain I have ever had. I figured I knew what to do since I had been dealing with this for 20 years but nothing took the pain away and my right arm was to the point of useless. The muscles were constantly contracted and that made for some horrible pain in the arm as well as the neck. Finally went to the dr when the pain meds ran out. Another MRI, another round of pain killers, muscle relaxants...you all know what I mean. MRI results came in and FINALLY I was sent to a neurosurgeon. I hate seeing new dr's because I have that fear that they'll be useless or act like its all in my head. I knew from the moment Dr. Roh entered the room that this was different. I could see on his lapel that he had a Yankees pin. I asked him if he was a fan. He informed me he used to be on the team medical staff. It was fate. The rest as they say...is history. After the surgery....I was in so much less pain than I had been in for months that I didn't even need pain meds really. They emphasized that they wanted zero pain...not what I could tolerate so..took some of their drugs but really....I have been doing so great since the surgery. I take 2 OTC tylenol when I first start to feel a little pain and that controls it. unbelievable....it took 40 mg's of flexeril and vicodin to even put a dent in the pain before. Still some swallowing problems. Most things seem to catch in the back of my throat...but other than that...life is great.
  • I had ALIF on October 1st, because my ins. co would not approve the disc replacement!! I stayed 4 days in the hospital. I was suppose to go home on day 3, but developed a fever of 102...so I had to stay another day. For the
    first 2 weeks, I was in a lot of pain if I was up too long. When I came home the top of my left leg was numb, but it doesn't affect walking. It is still numb. The 10 th day after surgery, my legs started hurting. That lasted about 2 weeks, but the Dr said it was normal because they were messing around the nerve roots. I don't have any leg pain now. The incision hurt some...still wearing my stretch & jogging pants. I quit taking my pain meds at 2 weeks. I think I have done REALLY WELL!!! The pain I had before my surgery is GONE!

I still have the durabond on my incision...just started peeling a few days ago. I do still hurt some when I've been up too long. I have a soft brace that I have to wear for 2 months...1 more to go!

I go back for my follow-up visit on Nov 4th.

• Hi all, I had my 2-level ALIF Oct 10. Hospital experience not so great- I fainted the first time they had me up walking and fell to the ground, needed a bunch of xrays and since blood levels kept getting lower needed a blood transfusion 2 days after surgery. Started from scratch after that and was improving but on the day I was supposed to go home my blood pressure started dropping really low so stayed an extra day. Was SO glad to get home!

Since I've been home there's been a lot of improvement. I'm walking at last an hour a day, and can now sit up to 2- 2 1/2 hours each day. Doing some more around the house and independent with dressing, showering, etc. Pain is still pretty bad and I'm still on pain meds and muscle relaxers- I tried to lessen the amounts and that was a BAD idea. But I'm so happy for you Kristie that you have been able to go without!! I'm not happy about still needing the pain meds but I need to remind myself it still hasn't been very long since the surgery and I'm hoping to be off them soon. Most of the pain seems to be muscle pain in my hips and sides of my back so the original pain doesn't seem to be present anymore, which is GREAT!

I had my follow-up Monday and everything looks good. The hardware is all in place and the incision is healing well. Still wearing sweats but it's not as painful as I expected!
  • hi all, i havent been on here for a while, so i thought id give an update. Im doing decent id say i go to the OS on the 17th of nov for my follow up. I still have pain but not as severe as before. i have numbness in my left foot along with i guess they call it drop foot. Feeling of burning in my foot still using a cane cause walking is very painful in my foot back and left leg. but overall i feel like im doing ok. Thanks to everyone here for all the support youve given. I hope everyones doing well.
    Ethan
advertisement