Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Manic on a good day

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Chronic Pain
My good days on this long time "roller coaster ride" of chronic pain are far and few between and often don't last long. So I've taken notice that I'm "Manic" on a good day.Usually the first day following consecutive bad days. and I'm not bi-polar 11. But I often set myself up for more pain or depression, or both. Because I get excited too maybe do some of the many things left undone by a person who is in mostly constant chronic pain. And maybe over indulge in what is normal life for regular people. I mean things that are normal regular everyday life tasks and enjoyment.
Bottom line is, I set my goals too high and my "to do" or want too do lists well just unobtainable. I therefore become depressed because pain sets in and I can't reach my goals or I go at it too hard and wind up in a big pain flair up because I did too much.
I'm trying to pace myself on those days, but it is hard to hold back a "manic" mood when you have a good day. And you really risk pushing yourself into a lot of painful or depressive days because of that.
But it is fun while it lasts.
Wishing you a pain free day, Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• Jim- I totally agree!! When having a heavy pain day, I lay around thinking about all the things I wish I was doing or the things I NEED to do, kicking myself in the behind because I can't do it. Then whenever a better day comes around I try to cram everything in, trying to get it all accomplished. Of course it is an unattainable goal because I have added and added to the list with each passing day. But still I frantically try to get things done. The good day doesn't get to last long because by the time night rolls around, so does the aches and pains that I have imposed upon myself. This of course leads to days of laying around trying to recover and planning my next list of things to do...">image ">image ">image
  • Hi Jim, Terrie,

Amen to the "mania"! Even now that I have better pain control, I have to be SO SO careful that I don't overdo things in my desire and enthusiasm to be whole or normal again! It is so frustrating, because it feels like it's just barely out of reach, but enough so that I can't get it even with my finger tips and have to find something else. (I hope that makes sense)

Fortunately I have seen a pain therapist who has worked with me on setting parameters and developing goals. He hooked me up with a great book that goes over living with chronic pain and actually "Living"! I only mention that because I really believe without that, I would be constantly falling off the ladder trying to reach for that of which I can't quite get to.

"C"

• Hiya Jim, >:D<
    I havnt spoken to you in a while :) . I know exactly where you are coming from about the good days and bad ~X( . The good days we try and do as much as we can :) ..and then follow the bad days :( , i call thats me paying for over doing it .I dont think i get depressed its more a frustration my head says "go on you can do it" my body just refuses to play along ~X( . So then follows the anger the questions of "why me?" :? . I think with something like this its all about management and exceptance and also recognising and control. We have to also pace ourselves so instead of cramming it all in to a day , we are able to get much more out of it having a good day and we will not do any damage to ourselves. :)

Angie x :H
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    trater, Yes, but the good days are so Great that we need to learn to lower expectations of ourselves. So we can enjoy them more. The simple things in normal life! who would even think we would miss them so much. And like C I too had a pain therapist who was helping me accept my limitations and try to be more satisfied with what I can reasonably do when the days are good. But I lost him. He moved to another state. And I'm hard headed and need someone like him to drum it constantly into my head. BUMMER!
    C, that absolutly makes sence. Well said! I'm so glad you have someone like I did because its a learning process that we all need help with. Sometimes simple things they say to us are things we would never think of. I would ask you for the name of the book. But to be Honest I'd never read it. I just don't enjoy reading books. Just the newspaper and I've always been that way. although I do try to read everything on sp and other sites. Just not books.
    You say so much with such a small condensed amount of words. were you a English major?
    Good luck, Jim
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
    Maybe you guys can replace my pain phych! I need to hear that.
    Thanks, Jim
  • I try and set my goals low on a good pain day. If you reach the goals you feel good if you surpass you feel great but you do not want to set yourself up for a letdown. Even on bad pain days I try and set very small goals. It just helps so much if you can have some sense of accomplishment. Granted, there are many days when I can do nothing but stay in bed. I try not to beat myself up over thise days. We can only do what we are capable of doing and can ask no more of ourselves.
    More excellent advice That we all need to understand and live by. As for me, I need to hear it often. I'm hard headed and stubborn. and on a good day its like trying to slow a racehorse in the middle of a horse race! maybe I should have some of this advice tattooed on the inside of my eyelids! =))
    Thanks,Jim
  • LIKE MANY, I DO THINGS I LOVE TO DO AND NORMALLY CANNOT. I RIDE MY BIKE, CLEAN THE HOUSE, GO FOR A LONG WALK. IF I SUFFER CONSEQUENCES THAT NIGHT, I STILL THINK IT WAS WORTH IT. TO DO THE THINGS I ENJOY IS A RARE TREAT. I'M GRATEFUL. BESIDES, I WOULD HAVE NO IDEA AS TO WHAT IS THE PROPER AMOUNT OF ACTIVITY. THERE ARE TIMES, I RIDE MY BIKE FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS AND DON'T FEEL ANY EXTRA PAIN AFTERWARDS. THERE WAS ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT FEELING GUILTY FOR NOT GETTING ENOUGH EXERCISE WHERE WE ALL, I THINK, WERE HAVING THIS SIMILAR CONVERSATION IN REVERSE. WE TELL OURSELVES NOT TO DO TOO MUCH. OOPS, NOW WE'RE DOING TOO LITTLE. SHAME. SHAME.
  • Hi, friends, I love what you said j. about being manic. I thinkit is the best way to describe me. Yesterday, I did nothing, due to a bad pain day. Today I woke up, went out with friends for lunch at my request, then went grocery shopping. Halfway through the shopping my left leg started aching real bad, by the end both feet were numb. Was so glad to get to the car and sit down. When I came home after a little rest came on here. Was so glad I did, as sometimes you question yourself about your own sanity. Thanks everyone for sharing their stories.
  • How ironic this topic came up today. My boyfriend :X jokingly told me I'm manic 8} . He explained that I can go from normal me to having this pained look on my face and a sinking mood. I was surprised he knew that this quick change was related to my pain, particularly when I get a twinge or shock. Also, I thought that I was hiding it better @) . I now know he really does pay attention, it's scary to think that someone knows me and my pain this well :SS . I feel this way so often, thank you j.howie for adding this topic and helping me to put words to how I feel. I couldn't agree more with all of you. I set goals too high, I try to do too much, and I ALWAYS pay for it ~X( . It's been hard for me the past few days because I just got new medicine. I tried to do a bit more than my normal work, school, lay flat on my back routine. I tried to walk through a store yesterday. It didn't work out so well and sent me into a 'manic' mood :W . I was hoping that the new med would help me to do a little more. On the positive side, it makes doing my normal-near-nothing a bit easier, so I'm grateful for that :D . Hooray for small miracles... Great topic!!!
    Much love,
    Lisa
  • Hiya yall,
    Tom from Texas 42 yr old. Look... after 3 back surgeries Gobs And Gobs of Meds and PT, even as far as injections on and off for 3 years. I continue to experience pain that makes a grown man cry. :''(

But do I need to accept the fact(?) Once a Bad Back Always A Bad BAck?

My neuro keeps telling me that remarkable advances are just around the corner, do I sacrafice being bed ridden until or go to the extremes of yet another back surgery, possible a fusion, who knows what they will want to do next.

At witts end.....
    I'm out of town. For a small surgery for my wife's shoulder and on my moms phone line. "dial up" Don't want to tie up her line too long and I'm a sloooow typer. I would like to post to some of you when I get back. maybe Saturday.
    Good luck, j.howie
  • I wish your wife well on her surgery! :)))
    And a Special thanks to Angela from my wife. The surgery went so good it was unbelievable So hi-tech. And the same surgery that she got 7 yrs. ago on her left shoulder. This time it was so advanced and she already is doing well and down to just 2 pain pills a day!
    Everybody, thanks for sharing your thoughts, It really helps me and probably most of you too.
    Tom, I hope your neuro is right. And Ive heard from a ortho that new technology is right around the corner. But I'm 59 and have had 5 surgeries already. I just don't want to spend the rest of my life recouping from surgeries. But if something real promising came up that would improve the quality of life for me I might consider. But that's doubtful.
    Tom, Your younger and as long as there is light at the end of the tunnel I would say do your homework, get a second opinion and go for it. For me, I think the light is out and I just need to accept. But remember, we are all different. And being bed ridden would just be unacceptable, if anything at all came up.
    Good luck, Jim
    Stockbroker, I read your reply and even though we can relate to one another. We are individuals with our own separate circumstances, our injuries,pain, depression, lack of motivation, ect. ect. What hurts today to do may not hurt tomorrow. Sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason to the pain spikes or exactly what brings them on. But we try, and when we can get away with that. It feels good . Even when we have to pay a price for it. Most of the time it is still worth it.
    There is nothing worse than the times we are depressed and for some reason have no motivation and do to little or worse, nothing at all.
    I think we all have to approach these obstacles as individuals. And differentiate the "to much" or "to little" on a individual basis. And as long as we are trying we still maintain a certain amount of pride. I guess that's a large part of chronic pain and in some respect, winning. At least that's the way I feel today.
    Good luck Jim
  • You have had such an interesting life and an hetic one at that :? . You have always been used to doing somthing and not nothing :T . What you need to do now is take one day at a time, this helps you get through :D .

Your virtual friend

Angie >:D<
  • JIM, I REALLY ADMIRE YOUR LEVELHEADED-NESS IN YOUR DISCUSSION OF THIS TOPIC. LISA, I CAN SO RELATE TO YOUR SURPRISE THAT OTHERS SEEM TO BE SO AWARE OF OUR PAIN WHEN WE AREN'T TALKING ABOUT IT AND THINK WE'RE HIDING IT SO WELL. I WAS QUITE SURPRISED TO LEARN THAT ALL OF MY COWORKERS ARE AWARE OF MY PAIN. THEY CAN TELL IF I'M HAVING ONE OF THOSE FEW, JOYOUS GOOD DAYS. WHAT I'M MOST ASHAMED OF IS HOW I SOMETIMES TAKE MY MISERY OUT ON MY HUSBAND, THE PERSON WHO LOVES ME THE MOST AND WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR ME. WHEN MY PAIN IS REALLT BAD, I CAN BE A SHORT-TEMPERED SUPER GROUCH. I WOULDN'T TALK TO A STRANGER LIKE THAT. I KNOW HE UNDERSTANDS BUT I STILL AM VERY ASHAMED THAT I WOULD BEHAVE BADLY. YUP, JIM--THIS PAIN CAN CERTAINLY COLOR OUR PERCEPTION OF OUR LIFE
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.