Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Generic Wellbutrin

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
A few months ago I was picking up my prescriptions at the drug store and the girl behind the counter said we refilled your wellbutrin with a generic, do you mind? I'm on California work comp. So It doesn't matter if I mind, that's what I get.
It's Budeprion. I also see the word Bupropion. And to further confuse me 9 company names are in the print on the paper work.
My question is Has anyone switched from wellbutrin to Budeprion, noticed any Changes or Side effects?
I don't want to lead anyone on so I'm not going to mention mine, but I do have possible side effects, multiple I think.
Thanks, Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• My husband has been on wellbutrin (450 mgs) for 10 years and he started the generic when they first came out ( I think about 5 years ago) He swears that they do not last all day ( the xl) and are nowhere near as effective as the brand name. Now, I have been on it (150 mgs) for about 2 weeks and I am experiencing horrible stomach cramping, dizziness,exhausted and sleepy all the time! I am hoping that these effects will subside after awhile.
    BTW- He also says that the SR works much better than the XL. I am going to ask my doc to change me over to SR next month.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    I'm experiencing one of the side effects you mentioned. I'm hoping to get a lot more response. Some of my side effects may not be associated with the change. But I will be in touch with you after I give a fair chance for more input.
    Good luck, Jim
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I've been on the generic bupropion for a few years and I think its fine, but then again, I've had a few years to get used to it...
  • My doctor has added this drug for me to take in addition to my usual medication, fluoxetine. I started this about 1 1/2 months ago. My initial dose was 150mg per day. At first I had some trouble getting to sleep, but after 2-3 weeks, that went away. I noticed a nice side effect, which was a decreased appetite. (Nice for me, since I'm overweight). Just last week, I went back to my doctor and he upped my dosage to 300mg and cut my fluoxetine to every OTHER day, instead of every day. Since then, I'm back to having some trouble sleeping. I am assuming this will dissipate once again, after my body gets accustomed to this new dosage. Also, at work I'm noticing that I have been more focused in general, and thereby more productive. But I also have caught myself just sort've staring off into space (ie "spacing out") 4 or 5 times a day. This too, I think may disappear in time. But my real curiosity, is that in the past two days, I've suddenly developed stiff and painful muscles in my neck, shoulders and back, to the point where I'm not able to move about easily. I've been taking hot baths, using electric massagers, and taking an anti-inflammatory. These things are providing very slight relief.

Does anyone else have this side affect? Or do you think it's possible that my back is just suddenly all kinked up because I've been "tossing and turning" so much?

Hmm...
  • Hi Jim, I don't know if this is of any help, but here's my experience with the generic and name brand Wellbutrin for what it's worth.

I had tried so many medications in this classification that when I finally found Wellbutrin, I was thrilled because the side effects had not been like the others, which were really bad for me. So, I liked it because it worked better than any others I had tried.

I was put on a low dose of generic Bupropion first, and it was increased several times, and then as someone else mentioned here, it just didn't seem to be working as well or last long, it was almost like taking nothing. But, I was reminded it was, after all, one of the more milder forms of all antidepressants.

I then decided to try the brand name, Wellbutrin and titrated to the dose I am now on, which is 300 mg. a day. And to be honest with you, it's been over a year and while I thought they worked better than the generic, I think perhaps I've taken them too long, they just don't seem to be helping me as much anymore. And speaking of stomach problems, I don't know if it is the combination of all my meds or one in particular, but I've definitely been having problems.

This is one medication in which I have always had problems finding one that worked for me because of side effects, so early on, after trying several different medications, when I found the Wellbutrin worked without those side effects, I was quite pleased that it worked so well without totally flipping me out.

Now, however, since I feel I'm not getting what I should out of this medication, I am thinking it might be time to find another, but I always dread the trial and error period, so I continue on with the Wellbutrin for awhile longer. I even tried Cymbalta thinking it would help my depression and pain, but I really had problems with it also.

I might add my husband went thru much the same thing with Wellbutrin, he stopped and tried several other brands too, but eventually would go back on the Wellbutrin. After awhile, he felt the Wellbutrin was just absolutely doing nothing for him, and his Dr. prescribed Zoloft and he has had no side effects and been taking it for awhile now and is doing very well.

Let us know how you are doing and what you finally decide to do.

I wish you the best.

Sandy
  • Jim,
    i have been taking Wellbutrion the last 4 years, I was changed over to Bupropin last September(07) and have not had any problems with it. I was on Cymbalta for nerve pain in March/April of 08, I had many problems with it, but it did get me through the nerve pain I had from my cervical laminectomy and I am no longer taking it.
    mark
  • why can't I ever get the good side effects? I wish that it suppressed my appetite but I think that it has actually increased it.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Sheilamae, I, like you tried so many antidepressants with such horrible side effects many made me actually worse. and I thought I was losing my mind. welbutrin worked some with little side effects. But I was still depresed so we,played around with combos and different amounts of each. Until I decided that 150 welbutrin and 30 cymbalta seemed to work best for me. I still had bouts of depression from time to time but I wasn't willing to up dosages or try anything new.
    I think when they changed me to a generic I was too quick to blame some problems on that, I was trying to cut my cymbalta out and couldn't handle the withdrawals. And having some other problems too that probably had little or maybe nothing to do with the generic.
    I have cut the cymbalta down to 20 mg. and generic welbutrin still at 150. and I'm doing well enough. so I'll leave well enough alone for now. But the problems I thought may be legitimate were I didn't think it was lasting all day. If a person was on 300 they could counter that by taking 150 in am and 150 in pm.
    I just saw my pm Doc. and he said there was no difference and the effect should be the same.
    Painintheback, the good news is I did not gain any weight.
    I keep thinking that the meds don't work as well as they used to. But try going a couple of days without them and you'll see they are working. Want to talk about falling off of a cliff!
    Good luck Jim
  • Everytime I even think about cutting back on my methadone, the pain comes back with a vengence!
  • Just like other post said---picked up generic WB & it was different. Was out of WB for couple days...immediately noticing my neck/back pain is back. Did not have this with brand WB, matter of fact, it HELPED my pain in my body/joints. Ins doesn't cover brand, but it's DEF different than generic. Research the generics & you will find out about the generics--in 2008 the FDA discovered several generics from certain manufacturers were NOT effective & forced to discontinue manufacturing it--the other 4 manufacturers were allowed to 'self test' their drugs for efficacy & of course, they reported theirs worked fine. Not true. I was on the brand for 5+ years & never had a problem. Since taking the generic, nothing but problems. Today, since I was off generic WB couple days, really noticed the neck pain. Also noticed I was sweating profusely (us. I don't sweat). Just wanted to post @ neck pain--before, I thought it was from work--nope. Also noticed with the generic that it doesn't suppress my appetite & actually increases it. I have gained 30 pounds in last year & half being on the generic. I never had ANY of these side effects on brand WB. Considering paying full price & see what happens. Never had any problems/side effect 5yrs taking brand WB. Something is not right w/the generic WB--it doesn't work the same. I don't care what the FDA or drug manufacturers say--the generic doesn't work the same.
advertisement