Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

just home

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
just home from the hjospital, i am in such horrible pain in my legs. The pain got so severe i even cried( for the first time since i was 6) the pain pills they have me on dont work for crap.My wife and kids are doing everything to help me.The hospital sent me home without any release papers or anything i mean what kind of crack-pot hospital is that. I dont know what to do know cause im in such pain and im just soooo angry!
Does anyone have any ideas to relieve the nerve pain in my legs?
advertisement

Comments

• My leg pain after TLIF went mostly away by about 5 weeks. Although if I am up to long or walk to much it does come around. The first 2 weeks the leg pain was so bad I could barely lift my legs. Those poor nerves went thru a big trauma during surgery, and they can take months to heal. Although I would have to say if meds arent helping and you are in significant pain a call to the doctor is in order, you should have your pain controlled to some degree.

My leg pain seemed to feel better if I used a pillow between my legs and I laid on my side, or 2 pillows under my knees when laying flat on my back. Other than that frequent position changes in bed helped out.

I hope your pain eases up soon. Take it easy and try to sleep.

Shell
  • im so sorry ethan i really am.
    what the heck?? they did not have you sign a bunch of papers and send you home with post op instructions??? X( X( X(
    i had some nerve pain down one leg, but did not feel it till a few days after i got home and the IV meds were all out of my system.
    NUMBER ONE they should of never released you until your oral meds worked for ya.
    what did they give you for pain control and spasms????
    keep on those like a time clock. mabye wrap your legs in heat??? make sure you get up and walk around the house to stretch those muscles.
    CALL THE DR there has to be one on call. i don't care if its sunday or not. there is always someone on.
    mabye they can call you in a different script most states they can call in a 5 day supply.
    or if you can hold off till tomorrow AM call then A.S.A.P.
    last yr they sent me home with 10mg lortab which was a joke.
    so they sent me a script in the mail plus called in the 5 day supply of percocets.
    let us know bud how you make out.
    i feel your pain and so do alot of us.
    your first day home should be your most comfortable. so i am so VERY SORRY your suffering.

HANG IN THERE!!
    terri O:)
  • first off i guess they had alot more work in there then they had thought. when they opened me up they realied my L-5 was just dangling or rattling around my dr said, he also said i had a great deal of boney build up around L4-L-5 that had to be "scraped" off.they sent me home with percocet which is a joke it does nothing but make me sweat. Im gonna suck it up today but tomorrow im calling and i seriously need something more or itll probably drive me crazy. Thanks you all for all the support god bless all of you
    Ethan
  • how many mg is the percs?? not sure how your dr is, i know mine would not give me anything higher.
    some will go as high as diliudid pills but not many will.
    i take 10mg perc every 4-6hrs. when i had a bad few days i took 15mg plus my soma (muscle relaxer and i was in the ocmfort zone.

sorry your had to have more done then you though.
    let us know tomorrow how you make out.
  • how many mg is the percs?? not sure how your dr is, i know mine would not give me anything higher.
    some will go as high as diliudid pills but not many will.
    i take 10mg perc every 4-6hrs. when i had a bad few days i took 15mg plus my soma (muscle relaxer and i was in the comfort zone.

sorry your had to have more done then you thought.
    let us know tomorrow how you make out.
  • Hi,
    I feel you.I am 10 days post op of a 2 level XLIF. I am so tired of crying because of the pain. Percets are worthless, my stomach is distended and I am constipated. I want to shoot someone. If someone told me the pain would be this bad I think I wouldn't have had the surgergy. I feel for you. Tomorrow I am asking for different meds! Let me know how you are doing.

Tracy
    XLIF 2 level
  • Hi injuredranger. I am sorry you are in so much pain. I have been home for 10 days now, and have gotten over the worst I believe. My doctor sent me home with 8 mg dilaudid and soma and it has really helped the pain. Ask your doctor for some. Now I am taking Lortab 10's and flexeril and they seem to be helping more than earlier. I hope you are pain free very soon. Melanie

2006::Laminectomy. Jan.08:hemilaminectomy,fusion L5/s1. Oct.08 Laminectomy, fusion l4/l5
  • Tracy & Ethan,
    I hate to hear ya'll are in such pain. =(( Being in such pain doesn't help your body start its healing. I hope you are able to get your doctors to prescibe you a med that will knock your pain. Hugs to both of you. >:D<
  • I'm so sorry you are having so many problems. I found that Miralax which is a powder with n0 taste that you can put into any hot or cold drink really helped with the constipation. You can buy it at any store. Good luck and try and hang in there.

Keisha
  • I'm so sorry you guys are hurting so much!

Ranger...did your doc. give you Neurotin or gabapenten for the leg pain? I know it's good for nerve pain issues. It made all the difference to me in the world.

Tracey...the percocet did me no good either. The hyrdrocodone helped a bit more. Please call your dr. on Monday and just tell him you've got to have some relief! Like others have said, you can't heal well when you're in so much pain.

Let us know how it goes, ok?
  • Did you have leg pain prior to your surgery or did this just happen afterwards?
  • Im still in great pain. Im laying on the couch cause my bed is just to painful. Ive got about 7 pillows on the couch that im laying on. The DR has me on gabepantin(sp) and hydrocodone aceteminophen 325 mg. It just isnt cutting it. I feel like a whinny baby but i cant help it. the incision is fine its the leg pain (both) and my left foot is unable to move up i can move my toes but theres no strength. Ive been sent home with a walker and crutches a cane and the toilet seat items , a grabber, and a deal to help put on socks. I stayed in the hospital for 5 days, well all i can say is hopefully this will end soon!!
  • hydrocodone is lortab/vicodin.
    percocet is oxycodone.
    i have 5/325's here.
    so mabye something they will raise it to for ya.
    give the other med awhile to work.
    do ya have a heating blanket for your legs???

if your on the couch like i was. i piled quilts up. they worked better then laying on pillows.
    plus i had a feather bed topper dont know if you have one of those.
    make sure you have a pillow under your knees.
    also ice for your back. the soft ice packs if ya got them before you went in. they are a blessing in disguise for me anyway. not all. (reusuable gel ice packs) walmart etc carries them.

hang in there. your going to have a few steps back, a few forward and a few back again.

im up to so your not alone in this spiney world now that you have joined...
    its a tuff journey no doubt. probably the tuffest thing you will have to go through..
    hope the meds get changed to something higher and you get more comfortable this week O:)
  • Ranger, I am so sorry you are hurting so much. Please call your doctor on Monday and try to get some stronger pain meds. The hydrocodone is vicodin/lortab/norco- all the same thing. They come in 5/7.5/10mg. The 325 is the Tylenol component. I was taking 2 of the 10 mg tablets every 3-4 hours post-op. Many Spineys are given Percocet which is stronger than Norco, and is a scedule II drug I believe, so has more stringent prescribing rules. Did you have any of these symptoms before surgery? Try the gel ice packs like Terri suggested, they are amazing. Good-luck, let us know what happens. Sue

P.S. Didn't they give you a muscle relaxer? Spasms are a big problem post-op. You probably would benefit from it.
  • I am glad that you are home. Sorry that you are not feeling well. Please let me know if there is any way I can support you.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Basically, they sent you home with Vicodin. That's nuts!! That's just not enough for that type of pain. I hope you were able to get something stronger from your surgeon today.

God bless.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • today i called the surgeon, and he called in some valium for me its like 2mg and he wants me to take it 4 times a day. He says that the leg pain is normal and being oung and in shape it shouldnt last! That pissed me off great it wont last but im in extreme pain now.He also wanted me to take 1 more of the percacets so now im taking 3 every 4 hours , hopefully this helps. My incision site is also starting to annoy me the staples are very aggrevating, anyways just thought i would vent a little.
  • I sure hope I don't have to go through all of what Your going through. I'm getting the same surgery done in a week and I go to the pre-op tomorrow. I'll be sure to see what type of pain medication My NS will be giving Me when I get discharged.
  • Ranger, so just to clarify, are you on hydrocodone or percocet? If you are taking 3 at a time of either of these I think you are going to OD on tylenol. The max daily dose of tylenol is 4000 mg, otherwise it can damage your liver. You can get oxycodone (what is in percs.) that are plain, no tylenol. Be careful.

I think your doc is being stingy with the meds. Valium 2mg is the dose I used to give little kids in traction when I worked pediatrics. An adult dose is often 5-10mg. If you are still suffering, keep being the squeaky wheel. We have to advocate for ourselves sometimes. Good luck, hope you feel better soon. The first 2 weeks are the hardest.
    >:D< Sue
  • put up with the pain if you cant handle it and so often these Docs have never had serious pain in thier lives so really have no idea. Also pain is relative to each of us and some people can breeze through while others need a bit extra.
    It will also depend on your metabolism, size, age etc how each drug affects you.
    I was also told that when I took endone (perc) to have panadol with it as it increases the effectiveness of the endone. - a nurse told me this in hospital when I said I didn't need panadol as well.

I really hope you get some relief soon

Blessings Sara O:)
  • I agree with what others have said...be careful with the tylenol, valium dose seems extremely low, and keep bugging the dr. until you get something that helps!
  • I hope you are finally getting some relief. If not I would head to the ER while they figure something out that works for you. Hang in there.
  • within the next few hours i will be going to the ER im not sure how much longer i can take the pain. Thanks to all of ou for the kind words and support!
    Ethan
  • you shouldn't have to put up with it. Let us know how you are.

gentle hugs.

Kel
  • It seems like the hospital I'm going to isn't stingy on the pain meds. The pre-op nurse I talked to said that if something wasnt working or I needed more of it, I need to ask and they will give it to Me. It seems they are all about patients and their comfort level. I guess some hospitals/doctors are different. I picked a female NS in the hopes that she will be more compassionate then a man :$. And it doesn't hurt that she looks pretty hot. :>

Ethan, have you been prescribed something called Neurontin/Gabapentin. I found that it works great on the nerve pain. Ask You Dr about it.
  • Hope you made it to the hospital ok. Did you have pain like this in your legs before the surgery? If not something sure doesn't seem right. Is this a common thing after having fusion surgery because if it is, Yippie, I can't wait! :S
  • Im going to say yes it is. They are going to be moving the spinal cord around and I'm sure that will cause pain afterwards.
  • Im also going to say that this back brace I'm wearing is really going to suck after surgery lol
  • I was sent home with Valium to take 3 times a day, and Dilaudid to take 2 pills every 4 hours. I was on the Morphine patient controlled pump with constant drip along with the button, and they upped it 5 times, but Morphine doesn't work for me. So they were injecting me with Dilaudid and Valium through my IV in the hospital after my fusion. That's why they sent me home with Dilaudid. I had been on Percocet since the middle of April, before my first surgery, so Percocet obviously was NOT going to work for serious post op pain. I am on Percocet now, though. Only took Dilaudid for about 10 days, and I am over 3 weeks post op. The 26th will be a month... That is so hard to believe. Crazy how fast time flies. Sad, too.

Anyway, sorry to space out and blab off topic. I hope you find something that works for ya. Narcotics/Opiates don't work for nerve pain. You need something like Neurontin, and also, sometimes, it takes time after surgery for the nerve pain to go away. Sometimes it's permanent nerve damage. Other times, it just takes time to go away. I have weakness still in my right foot. Nowhere NEAR like what it was before surgery, which is why my surgery was moved up to the day after I saw my doc regarding it, but there is still some weakness left. I'm hoping it will go away, but if not, it's livable. Only time will tell. I hope your nerve pain goes away soon!
  • I JUST GOT MY STITCHES OUT. THEY LOOK GOOD. THEY GAVE ME VICADIN- WORTHLESS. THEY ALSO GAVE ME SOME KIND OF STEROID PACK (FORGOT WHAT IT IS CALLED) THAT IS STARTING TO WORK A LITTLE. I ALSO HAVE EPILEPSY SO THE DOCS HAVE TO BE CAREFUL OF WHAT THEY GIVE ME. THEY HAVE ALSO PUT ME ON LYRICA, VALLIUM AND METHADONE.

MY LEFT LEG IS STILL NUMB AND THIS MAY SOUND CRAZY BUT HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED PAIN IN THEIR STOMACH? MY LEFT LEG I CAN NOW MOVE ABOUT 3" STRAIGHT UP AND HAVE NOW GOT MY SIDE MOVEMENT RETURNED. I NOW HAVE FEELING IN MY BACK AND CAN FEEL WHERE THEY PUT THEY PUT THE CAGES AND PLATES IN.

I MUST ADMIT, I AM STILL IN A LOT OF PAIN BUT NOW IT IS BEARABLE. THE PERCS AND NORCO'S JUST TAKE THE EDGE AWAY. IMY BODY HAS BUILT UP A TOLERANCE FOR BOTH OF THEM. :''( :''(
    THANKS AND GOD BLESS EVERYONE FOR THEIR HELP AND INPUT

advertisement