Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Adjustable Bed after surgery

Sparky123SSparky123 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone used an electric adjustable bed at home after surgery and if so, how did they work for you? I'm just worried about being able to get up and down stairs to and from my bedroom right after surgery. How soon after surgery were you guys able to go up and down stairs?
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Sparky,

This is a e busy time for you before surgery when you are trying to arrange everything for your post-surgery comfort. But don't worry, help is near, all your spiny friends on this site are ready to offer you the benefits of their experiences. As far as the bed is concerned, some people rent a hospital bed for the first month or so. I did not have the need for that as we have a one-level house. One thing I needed though was a memory foam mattress cover, that made all the difference. I went to rehab for a week after my fusion surgery, and they thought me how to walk up and down on stairs. But if you will go home straight from the hospital, or if you are not ready to attempt going up stairs, it may be a good idea to set up a bed for you downstairs. You may want to look up some medical supply houses and find out about adjustable (or hospital( bed rental. Also, ask your surgeon, sometimes they prescribe it for you in which case your insurance may cover it.

Good luck with your surgery, and let us know if you have any other questions.
    Kin
  • Sparky, the adjustable bed in the hospital was great for helping me get up. That said the nurses insisted I learn how to get up with the bed flat, since I wouldn't have one at home. Of course it is a little more difficult, but doable. I never had a problem getting up or down at home. Some of the home adjustable beds are crank operated, so look out for that if you get one. I too got a memory foam mattress topper which I love. I also had my son put pillows under my mattress to elevate the head slightly as was more comfy than multiple pillows under my head getting all escew. Good-luck with your preparations and surgery.
    >:D< Sue