Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question about P.T.

gar0262ggar0262 Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My question is to those who are to the point or who have been there already is: what does pt consist of after surgery? I will be starting pt in a couple of weeks, and am curious as to what to expect. I would like to find a pt who offers swim therapy, as first of all I love to swim and secondly I know that water therapy would be easier on the body. So any comments are welcomed. :)
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Glor, I started pool therapy on my own at 4 weeks. I walk frontways, sideways, do stretchs against the wall, marching, squats, leg lifts, up on toes, then heals, bicycle while floating on a noodle. It is a routine I learned at water PT last year.

At 9 weeks I started regular PT, there they put heat on my back then I do pelvic tilts, bridges, some ab work, recumbent bike, arm bike, balance ball, leg press, and end with ice. It has definitely flared up some aches and pains. The water is definitely more gentle. I am sure you will need to be over your infection/seroma drainage before you go in a pool though.

Good luck with your recovery and therapy to come, >:D< Sue
  • I started pool therapy at 4 weeks and I love it. I also am a water person and the pool is very gentle on the back and body. I started with the same things Sue said walking backwards and forward, side to side also standing with your back to the pool wall and doing leg lifts. Much easier in the water than on land. Has given me flexibility much sooner I think. After a few weeks started in the deep water with a floatation belt around waist and do jogging and skiing motion back and forth across pool. We are now working with a snorkel and mask and lay on our stomach and move arms and legs up and down in the water. To make a long post shorter your options are endless in the water. Have Fun!
  • Imho, all theapists seem to have different opinions following our back surgery. I have seen quite a few over the years.

Listen to your body. If it hurts, tell them, don't soldier on.

I flare afterwards. Nudge the pain, don't push through it.

Stay in charge of your treatment and be guided by their knowledge.

Happy core exercises!!
  • Glor,

I just started PT 5 1/2 months after fusion surgery. The first thing I did, I requested a therapist experienced with fusion patients, I thought this was very important, I don't want just anybody working on my back. My OS requested that she would teach me a stretching routine for lumbar spine, hip muscles and hamstrings; strengthening of abdominal and back erector spine muscles. The first time I went, she did a thorough evaluation, and asked me to write down all activities I am planning on performing, e.g., picking up things from the floor, gardening, housework, daily exercise plan etc. On the first working session she taught me how to do some everyday things, getting things in and out of dishwasher, picking up things from the floor, vacuuming, sweeping, and I also began to work out with weights, used the exercise bike, and she thought me some stretching/strengthening exercises, like one knee to chest, both to chest, and various piriformis exercises. I also have a list of these I have to do everyday at home.

The important thing is selecting a therapist who is experienced with your type of surgery, and then have faith in your therapist who will teach you all you need to know.

Good luck,

Kin
  • ewwww sounds like more pain is in the near future then. :))( Not that I was expecting a fun filled joy ride. =)) Actually I am pretty much ready for the next phase on my road to recovery. Before surgery I was working 60 hr weeks and loved it. Now just a walk with my dogs is so exhausting. :?? But as I often say "this too shall pass".
advertisement