Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone experienced epoisodes of paralysis following the removal of degenerative disk? I need so

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
HELP!!!!!
I really need someone to help and point me in the right direction to get help for my dad. Here's the story...

Last July my dad had an operation to remove disks at the base of his neck i think c5/c6 and insert a titamium cage. During the operation the membrane surrounding the spinal cord was torn and according to the surgeon, who apologised to my dad whilst in ICU "it was ok because he glued it back together" since the operation my dad has been back and forth to hospital as he keeps having episodes of paralysis. the first time this happened the doctors said it was a severe migrane and then they changed their minds and said it was a stoke as his whole left side was affected. However, since this episode he has lost the feeling from his neck down, the feeling comes back after a couple of hours and he is able to walk again, with a walking stick and physical support but his legs tend to drag and stagger taking their time to lift and lower. None of the doctors seem to want to help him anymore, especially his surgeon who has passed my dad onto another doctor on his 'team'. His condition is getting worse both physically and mentally, he has gone from being a 44 year old self empolyed builder to not being able to get out of bed. another odd thing that has been happening is that he can feel sensation but not pain for example he was cutting some wire on one of his good days and he cut his leg on the wire tearing a blood vessal, he needed stiches but had no idea he had cut himself until he saw the blood.
His condition is really getting him down I have requested a second opinion from the doctors but they have still not got back to me. it seems they have washed their hands of him and have diagnosed his condition as "medically unfound". Since the operation he has had no rehabilitation and no one will treat him he can't even have dental treatment as there is no disgnosis.
As i said before this is really taking its toll on him and he just wants answers, is there anyone out there who can help all i know is that he can't go on like this anymore!!!
PLEASE HELP IM DESPARATE TO HELP MY DAD!!!!!

Leanne
advertisement

Comments

• Leanne i am so sorry to hear about your dad.that is terrible, tearing the membrane surrounding the cord sounds......but gluing it together seems well drastic.maybe thats all the surgeon could do.............??? I can almost dear your fustration, and i know where u r coming from .........seeing your dad being a builder[my hubby is a builder] and i know probably having excruitating pain and discomfort but being able to cope...to this, i too have experienced leg weakness since the operation, however mine was lumbar.im wondering did the surgeon use a thing called bmp sometimes it causes bone overgrowth?? and it has been known to cause some problems.like if it grows to much or in the wrong place then maybe nerves can be effected??.but u said it was a torn membrane.im sorry i dont know much about that,but im sure someone on here will come along that might know more.

I just wanted to reply to ur post Leanne cause i know well i can only imagine how u feel, im so sorry, what does the other doctors on his team think??? I would demand an appointment with him, i would ask your doctor to write to the executive of the hospital and demand aan appointment with them and the surgeon.........they will have to act on a letter to the executive or head of spinal sugeons at the hospital[i would think].thinking of u and ur dd and u will be in my prayers xoxo
  • Leanne,

I wish I had the magic words for you to make this all change for the better, but I don't. Do you have a patient rights advocate in your area who can possibly help?

You are doing the right thing, you are reaching out and you are searching for help and for answers. I am confident that with that attitude you will have success.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

"C"
  • If it would have been a stroke it would have showed up in testing they would have done.So they would know straight up as treatment is very different and equally very serious. MRI,CT, ask for all your dad's records and as C mentioned a patients advocate. Keep knocking on there doors, and I wish you the best.
    J