Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Surgery Med schedule it really helps!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi eve1,
Mods move this if you think it should be in another spot since alot pts take meds for different reasons. My main concern was post op medication.

Mornings and nights are the worst for me.
I found out how to wake up with very minimal pain today.
It was a rough night for sure as I have some type of bug or belly issues.
BUT THIS WORKED. I took my pain pill at 8:30, 9pm my soma, 10pm my valium. Ok I was comfortable. I could not sleep (because of a bug or something)
I went ahead took another one at 1:30am. Then I awoke at 4:45am took another. Then again at 9am when I finally was ready to BE UP lol

What I am trying to get across is you know how your on your schedule for day time. Night time is just as important , just like when you were in the hospital.

So just a suggestion. Set a alarm and have your meds next to you with water. I know this may not work for everyone. As you may not be able to fall back to sleep.
But all I did was use the commode since our bathroom is downstairs. Take the pain pill and laid right back down and closed my eyes. IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!! (heating blanket had some to do w/ it to) :)
This is the first morning I did not awake feeling like someone had pounded nails into my back and I could not move.
IT WAS THE MOST WONDERFUL FEELING.
So for all you post op spineys out there. If you think this is going to work for you try it. WOW is all I can say right now.

I still do not feel well with my stomach but pain wise I could throw a party right now. <:P <:P <:P <:P <:P

I just wanted to share my little routine I fell upon last night. It may help some the first few weeks or months.

Of course always make sure you do not go over your meds that are RX'd for a 24 hr period.

It was well worth waking up to do this then to wake up in the AM with that horrid pain :jawdrop: :sick: :O) :O)

***Of course I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice just my own personal experience***

If I was a Dr I would be recovering in the Bahamas!! =))

advertisement

Comments

• I am glad that you are getting a little relief this morning, sweetness!

I am trying to work out a med schedule that keeps my pain at a minimum pre-op. It goes.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Hiya Terri >:D<
    I am so glad you are getting some relief :) , you havnt had it easy :( . I have to agree the mornings are rough #:S .Thats how i started to take mine , but now i havnt got any anti inflamertry and im in alot of pain :''( , but my legs have gone down a little :) . The hospital says its all systems go on the 28th, as long as they keep coming down :) .My right hand is not working properly now, and causing me quite a bit of pain ~X( They will not give me any meds until i have had the ECG and bloods done on wednesday ~X( , then i have to wait a week for the results, still on bed rest until then ~X( . So how are you healing? :) When do you have to see the doctor again? :/ Can i have some of your meds , i want to party too. <:P

Angie :H

Hows the little one ? :?
  • Terri, I did this as well when I first came home from the hospital. I set my cell phone alarm that way I could keep it on the bed next to me, so if I was on my left side I didin't have to turn over. I even kept a bottled water and my pills in the bed. Also, my sis used to send me a text at midnight and 6 am to remind me to take my meds. She took good care of me while I was fresh post-op. So glad your pain is under control, now hope you can get the tummy under control. >:D< :* Cali-Sue
  • Terri, I did the same "just like in the hosp" in that I purposely woke myself up during the night & took my meds, etc....stayed ahead of the pain, as they say...plus I kept a notebook next to the bed and WROTE it all down, as the opioids cause a lot of "brain god" & I sure didn't want to take a double-dose or worse...

You are very prudent to do this! That post-op acute stage lasts awhile & you simply must deal with it. As you are doing & doing well. Pain control is mandatory, as it lets your sleep/rest & that allows you to heal faster. When you're in pain, you produce stress hormones that hamper healing. So fire away! May you have a continued good recovery -- you're only about a month "off the table"--heck, at 4 weeks (like you) I was in la-la land. I had my PLIF in January & I swear I really didn't wake up until Easter...!

All the best! Set that alarm & roll over again into blissful dreamland! :)

~Lakeside

• ...that should be "brain FOG" not "brain god"...LOL!

At 9 months, my PM routine includes Valuim & Chardonnay..can you tell?! :)

~Lake
  • You can do Chardonnay along with all those drugs?? I did not know that. :O :O

Anna
  • I too used to keep a note with times, actually I printed out a sheet from the computer and just ticked it off as I took them. Once I got the slow release oxycontin though I was OK during the night and didn't need any extra.
    \Sara O:)
  • well i am glad to see other people have done this.
    i sure hope it works for some new spiney people!!!!
    can't wait to here from some more ppl that came home at the beginning of october.

i went against my own rule during the day though #o i fell asleep without notice from 1:30pm -5pm OUCHIE.
    so there ya have it in a nutshell. the last med i took was at 9am. so by 5pm well i don't have any nice words to use at all :sick: :sick: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    it took a 10mg plus ice , coffee, heat and 2 hrs to feel semi normal again.
    so i will not let that happen again today.
    plus its hard i have my daughter home and she is TIREING ME at the least. WHEW. picking up her messes so dad at least only has to do dinner and laundry.
    doing dishes even with the brace on is a killer. i don't know what is up with that. i was cleaning this house last yr like there was no tomorrow.

my mom in law comes in last night (figures) bad timeing all together. meds were just starting to kick in. so i still had not showered yiikkkk , put my brace on and down stairs i went. i get this line "oh your back still hurts"??? UMM YEAH HUH DUH some ppl just do not get it. and hubby went off very quickly and nicely MOM SHE HAS A 13 inch scar in her back :jawdrop: =)) GO HUBBY!!
    i did actually know it was that big. we thought mabye 9 from the six last year. but if you put his shoe which is a 12 up there yeah it kinda is. but oh well so be life :D ;)

ok i made my page long enough again like i always do lol
    keep doing whatever works for you!!!!!

>:D< :* >:D< :* >:D< :* >:D<
  • ...all I take is 1/2 a Valuim, a sleeping pill & a glass of wine (prudently) in the PM's. I didn't drink for 6 months while on diluaudid, of course...! Morphine & alcohol is a total no-no.

But now, it seems to relax those still-angry nerves & the meds are in small amounts (now). Certainly, do NOT mix alcohol w/ opioids, when you are in the acute stage!

I am in the "long haul" recovery phase (it's a 2 year time line, remember) & find that I can get a lot of relief w/ my "recipe" in the evenings. (Don't drive, of course, either)

Whatever works! But use good sense! :) Interestingly, I didn't even feel like it or want to drink while I was in the acute phase. Just wanted to sleep. Like for 5 months.... :)

~Lakeside
  • UGH, you gotta love that comment!

Your suggestion of getting up to take the pain meds before the pain kicks in also worked for me before my surgery too. The eight hours they would be in effect usually ended in the middle of the night, so I would wake up to take it. In my case, I had to take it with food so my stomach wouldn't get upset. So, I had a Luna bar handy, and I just took a bite of that with the pill. Worked well. I got to the point where I could take a bite, take the pill with a sip of water and go back to sleep without even turning on the light.

Hugs,
    Haylie
  • This subject actually came up any my Dr.'s appt. yesterday. He upped my Valium to 10mg and added an extra one during the day. Then said "But make the last one you take just before bedtime and don't try taking it during the night." Like I could! =)) Keep in mind I weigh 92 lbs and have never taken valium in my life. I could barely even get up this morning much less wake myself up in the middle of the night to take it. Which only leads me to believe that he would have been perfectly fine with me doing that post op with my percocet. Darn it. Wish I had known that as I layed there staring at the ceiling at 2:00 am because it hurt so bad. So I think you're really onto something here.
  • I don't know about the rest of you, but I had to write down what I took when! The pain usually started about 2 hours before it was time to take the next dose and I was really concerned about taking the pain meds too early. I really have problems when I take too much vicodin! But...as others have said, don't let the pain get too far ahead of you. It's H*** to catch back up!
  • I had to make out a schedule for pain meds and check off each time or I simply could not remember when I had taken the last one, when to take the next one, etc. And at night I set the alarm and woke up to take the pill and eat a cookie (so the meds would not make me nauseated), then back to sleep. Though I did not take pain meds for very long because they made me feel so terrible I did find that it was really necessary for me to have a written schedule for them!
  • Do you think it's too late for me to do this with Percocet? (Which I still take every 6 hours.) The pain in the morning is by far the WORST and sets a really bad precedence for the rest of the day. I'm going back to work soon and taking Percocet first thing in the morning makes me so tired I don't even feel like showering until after it kicks in then starts to wear off. I dread driving to work and can't until the percocet wears off completely anyway. I would gladly give up the 9:00 pm one and adjust my schedule if I thought it would help to wake up in less pain. What do you think?
advertisement