Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 Month Checkup with Dr.

JoyJJoy Posts: 560
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Went to see the dr. today for the 4-month post-op appointment. He said everything was coming along very well and I could take the brace off. :O) The x-ray showed "puffy stuff" where the bone graft was put in and he said that this was the beginning of the fusion. Told me to come back in Jan. and I should be fused nicely. #:S He also told me I could bend over as long as I kept the arch in my back...in other words not to round my back. He also said to pay particular attention to my posture.

I am estatic!!! I still hurt (mostly muscular) but not like before. I really thought, after reading so many posts here, that with being so overweight, a smoker and old as dirt that I wouldn't be so far along in the healing process. Thank you, God!!!

BTW, I asked about PT and he said no...not necessary. I will call him back, however, and ask about some stretching exercises just to get them stretched out again.

Hip, hip, hooray!!!
advertisement

Comments

• I am glad that you are coming along so well. I know that you have had some ups and downs. Here's to even more recovery and less pain.

Did your doctor fuse with knowledge of you smoking?

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Yes, he knew about the smoking at the beginning. I believe that's why he used my own bone for the graft and also gave me one of those bone stimulators. I have the kind that velcos on and you keep in on for 30 min. each day. He said that they do promote fusion but only in a small way. But, hey, we need all the help we can get, right?
  • I was a smoker until June 14th. I need some pain relief and want the surgery. My doc won't fuse active smokers.

I miss my cigarettes and bourbon, lol.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Dont they like doing a fusion if you smoke? :?

Angie x :H

• That is wonderful news and cause for celebration - we all need all the celebrations we can find a reason for!
  • No, a lot of dr.s won't do a fusion surgery if you smoke. Some do. Mine did. He told me to cut down as much as I could (of course, he would rather I not smoke at all). It has something to do with the blood not having enough oxygen that is needed for fusion. Fortunately, I have really good bones. About 3 years ago I had one of those bone density tests and was told I have the bones of a 35-yr. old. That's the only thing young-looking about me. lol. I also have a large bone frame...don't know if that helps or not.
  • Yes, I have definately had my ups and downs. Even as recently as a week ago I thought I was never going to get better. But it was like all of a sudden I noticed that I was moving better, had less pain, was using the pain pills less and less, etc. I would dance around if I wasn't so fat! 8}

So...hang in there gang, it will get better.
  • that is great news. I'm so happy for you to be fusing nicely.

Take care and good luck!!!!

Yvonne
  • Just adding my 2 cents & my hearty congrats! Yesss!! you are fusing! Heck, the nagging, achy- & annoying "regular" healing pain will continue --it's muscles & bones & nerves that are really really angry now--but you're growing new bone & that's teriffic! :) I'm @ 9 months now, still hurtin' but much better than last year at this time. Just stay positive & happy that it's working for you!

Take a bow (bend from the HIPS!) and relax! Enjoy your recovery, don't sweat the small stuff, take your meds & get your rest....

I'm soooo happy for you! And I think you look mah-vel-us, dah-ling! :)

~Lakeside
  • That is great news Joy!! Very inspiring and I hope you continue to get better and better!
  • yiipppeeeeee joy =D> =D> =D> :O) <:P <:P <:P
    see it does happen, some of us just longer.
    your not old gheeeshhhh girl ;) ;)

yes my surgeon does surgery also and just advises to cut down, he said its not his problem if ya smoke, your the one that might have to have it done over again :S its money in his pocket..

i also am getting the bone stim. my bones are awesome A+ condition to. i should of had it when i came home, but hey its never to late...........

you sound like me at my 4 months last year. NO PT and go about doing what your normally do....

of course i am no where near where i was last yr. but i also have to motivate a bit more. plus i will find out my fate wed at the heart dr. ;)

relax be free and YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D <:P :*
  • Thank all of you for being here for me so many times! I gotta tell you, my muscles don't like not having the brace on. Went almost all day yesterday without it and by bedtime, those muscles were screaming! But...this too shall pass, right?

Terri--I remember you said you had no PT last year, but did you do any stretching exercises on your own or walk a lot? I really do want to strengthen my core muscles and the dr. said that walking was one of the best ways to accomplish that.

Again---thanks everyone! ;)
  • Does anyone know if your bones have to be in good condition when you have a fusion?

Angie x
  • what light releif to read some happy news..the baoards are usually full of worries.

You must have the angels watching you Joy..Lucky you! >:D<

Keep going!
  • Joy, yay, good news <:P ! Fusing fast is always great to hear =D> . I hear ya on the brace weaning. I weaned over the last 2 weeks and am out now 100% of the time. My upper back apparently got very lazy in that thing and my SI joints are getting more movement now that is making them angry. It is slowly getting better, just takes time. Keep up all your good work, >:D< Sue
advertisement