Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi I am fairly new to SH and will be having my third back surgery in December.My question is I live in a split level duplex with several stairs going to my bedroom :/ and have read several post and not one has really said anything about going up and down stairs should I make a space downstsirs or try to make the trips up and down the stairs to reach the kitchen and living area? The surgery is a fusion l5/s1.
advertisement

Comments

• I had l4/l5 fusion in June and upon release I asked the dr. about doing steps. His response was that I should have no problem. Of course, as usual, all dr.'s don't look at things the same way, so be sure to ask yours what his opinion is, okay?

I'm sure there is a right way and a wrong way to climb the stairs. I had absolutely no problem getting up my front steps when I came home from the hospital.

Depending on how long they keep you in the hospital, you might want to sleep downstairs the first couple of nights to get all the anesthesia out of your system since you might still experience some woozyness. All of us react to that stuff differently. When is your surgery scheduled?
  • Ladybug,

I went to rehab from the hospital after my three-level fusion, and the PT taught me to go up and down stairs. If you go home directly from the hospital, maybe a PT vill visit you prior to your discharge so ask that he/she shows you the right way. Or just ask a nurse. I believe at the beginning the best way is doing it step by step, one foot up, next foot up to the same level, then do it with the next step. In other words, don't skip a step with the second foot. And always hang onto a side rail.

Good luck,

Kin
  • My surgey is scheduled for 12/17/08
  • My surgeon said "no problem" when I asked about doing the stairs up to our 2nd floor bedroom. And he was correct - I was certainly able to climb the stairs when I got home after fusion surgery. I did not, however, really WANT to do the steps very often that first week. It was exhausting. So, after the first night I chose to sleep in the sofa on the first floor for about a week (which was fine as I found it more comfy than my bed at first.)

I did find it easier and safer feeling to do the steps - up and down - the way Kin described above. I felt a bit like a little old lady (or a toddler) but...
  • When I was in the hospital for my L5-S1 fusion my PT would not recommend discharge until I was able to do stairs. He knew I had only 6 steps to get in the house, that was all I needed to do to "graduate" and go home. I felt fine doing them when I went home, I dont know how I would have felt about more than that, you never know how your body will take all the abuse of surgery.

Take Care,
    Shell
  • To all for the feed back. :D
  • I asked my surgeon before my surgery about stairs, because I live on the second and third floors of a multi family house. She said I'd be fine. And I was. And am. Never had a problem with stairs. But like someone else said, always hold onto a railing, just to be safe.
advertisement