Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have ADF and fusion hybrid surgery???

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am pretty sure that I am in line for a hybrid surgery with a fusion at l5-S1 and a Charite ADF at l4-L5.

I am curious if anyone else here has been through this and what the recovery was/is like.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement

Comments

• I guess it is not a common surgery then...
  • I had the hybrid surgery (fusion at L5-S1 and Prodisc ADR at L4-L5) in Nov.'07. It has been almost a year and I am definitely in more pain now than before my surgery. I don't want to scare you off, because I do know that there are others that have had much success with the hybrid. There aren't many of us here in the US, but a few.
    I am in line for a possible SCS trial because of the pain. I've done PT, steroid injections, pain meds, etc with not relief. They say that everything is in place as it should be as far as they can tell.
    However, I feel like there is a problem at my ADR level. I feel and hear it clicking at that level which I don't think is normal. I have severe back and leg pain.
    Before my hybrid surgery I had some good days and some awful days. I now have no days completely pain free. My pain level very rarely gets under a 4 or 5 and usually sits at around a 6 to 8.
    Is your surgery already scheduled? When will it be done? I wish you the best of luck and pray that your surgery is a huge success!
    You can PM me any time if you have other questions or concerns.
    Take care,
    D.
  • No my surgery is not scheduled yet. I am waiting to speak with my NS on Thursday to see if they want me for the trial at this office. If I am not a candidate for the fusion I will be having a two level fusion.

Thank you so much for letting me know your story. I will certainly keep you posted as to what my course of action is going to be and how it turns out for me.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • I wish you all the best in whatever decision you make. Looking back, I wish I had gone with a two level fusion instead of the hybrid...but, hindsight is 20/20, huh? I was hoping to be able to return to my job and my NS told me the two level fusion would not be the way to go if I was going to do that. But, as it turned out, I am not able to return anyway....unless something miraculous happens and my pain stops getting worse and starts to get better.
    Good Luck and Please keep me posted.
    Bless ya,
    ~ D.
  • My NS says that I need a bi-level ADR on my L4-L5 and L5-S1 due to my DDD. All 4 surgeons I have seen claim that fusion is not a good option for me and will likely lead to future issues. Since bi-level ADR isn't approved by the FDA, and covered by my insurance I am considering the hybrid. Anyone have success with this choice??
  • Everything I have read about says that adr is a better option because you can still have movement. So, it is nice to hear someone's actual opinion, good or bad.

I will certainly let you know.

JJ, I know that there have been multilevel ADRs in Europe, but I did not know that they were even open for discussion in the states...

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Stephanie, we have another member, rachel, who has had a similar hybrid surgery, with quite some success, I believe. You could try sending her a PM (private message) if she does not post here.

Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Hello Stephanie
    just read your post. I had Charite ADR L3/L4,L4/L5, and ALIF at L5/S1 on April 22nd in London. I too was very concerned at the possible lack of flexibililty with a fusion. But at L5/S1 there is very little flexibilty anyway so it's not really an issue. In fact, I would say I have retained all of my flexibility. I was only expecting either ADR OR fusion at L4/L5 because I had a microdiscectomy at that level about 10 years ago. Ended up with having all three levels though.
    It's a pretty big op and they have to go in through the front. I was in hospital 12 days and have been on medication since - which I was quite disappointed to have to have. Recovery has been harder than I expected. I went back to work on July 1st but only doing short days. Still not back to full working order, but getting there I think. Proper rehab is very important. The one thing I have found massively beneficial is regular massage and keep supple by stretching when you can.
    I was in hospital again all of last week because I still had a lot of pain. I had all sorts of different drugs but all made me quite ill. Also had more facet joint injections, SI injections as well as trigger poit injections. Still feeling groggy from all the medication but today, my back does feel a little easier.
    If I can help answer any questions you may have, then please do send me a pm and I'll try and help with anything I can.
    Hope you feel better soon
    Brian
  • My back started hurt without any injury when I was a teenager and my back pain has been come and go ever since. I am 43 years old now (Sep 16, 1965).

Beginning of 1999 pain started to go to my leg and increasingly pain get sever.
    I was ended up in the wheelchair because I couldn’t even stand up (couldn’t put any weight on my left leg). I got depressed time to time and couldn’t think of anything (work, life, and etc) and my only hope was having normal life at that time. So, I decided to have a surgery. Discectomy (L3-4) was success and no back pain for about 8 months or so. But, some of back pain came back again.

On 8/31/2002, I received injection (6 areas) for the first time at pain management.
    About 6 moths of physical therapy, I began to exercise with fitness trainer who is chiropractor. I can tolerance some pain because I know my back pain never completely go away as far as I remember. I was able to exercise (daily) and play golf often until 2005.

My back pain got worse as well as leg pain since June 2006. I couldn’t continue to do any activities. I received treatments as follows.

1.In August: several series of acupuncture and muscle shots at UCLA center for East-West Medicine in Santa Monica.
    2.Oct 9,2006: Caudal Epidural Injection, local Anesthesia, Ice saline and Steroids at Rob pain management.
    3.Oct 18,2006: Epidurography at Rob pain management.
    4.Nov 2, 2006: Lumber Radio Frequency Facet Joint Denervation at Rob pain management.
    5.Nov 16,2006: Caudal Epdural at Rob pain management.
    6.End of November: Some physical therapy at Culver Marina orthopedic & Sports physical therapy.
    7.Dec 18,2006: Lumber Transforaminal Epidural Steroid injection at UCLA pain management in Santa Monica.
    8.Apr 27,2007: I received another injection at Oscan Park surgical center.
    9.Jun 3, 2008: I received another injection in Japan

Only #7 treatment worked and about 35% of pain has been removed from the injection.

Even though I had pain I push myself to go to the gym and started to take yoga class daily base (orthopedic doctor told me so).

About summer of 2008, I realized that my body got used to pain and I was able to do other excise can tolalent pain and got used to pain and not.

Anyway, I finally decidede to have a surgery on Dec 17, 2008.
    My L3-4 disc will be replaced by "PRODISC®"(artificial disc) and L4-5 will be fused with non removable artificial disc. Wish me a luck!
    I will let you know how it goes if you are interested. Japanwoman@gmail.com

• Thanks for all the info and please let me kno how it turns out.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • I am one month out of L5-S1 fusion with L4-5 disc replacement Stephanie and I am feeling great. Before this surgery I had a previous discectomy and I got severely worse. Lots of severe back pain and constant bilateral leg pain. I can say that I am feeling really good and am glad to be on the recovery path.
advertisement