Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain After 2 Surgeries

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
I am 6 weeks post laminectomy and discectomy. This is the second time for the same surgery in 1 year. I have just had another MRI as I have leg and back pain and I have been advised that I have 'pushed' more disc material out and I now have the same size disc herniation as I did before the first surgery. I have very painful leg pain when I first get up in the morning with reoccurring symptoms throughout the day. Has anyone else experienced this ? I have been told to come back in 3 months time. I have looked at ultrasound therapy on the internet to keep the scar tissue at bay. Has anyone had this type of treatment ?
advertisement

Comments

• at l5-S1. I had a MicroD in September of 2000. I have been having pain on and off since then. I have had a few steroid shots and have finally decided to have surgery again.
    I wish you the best.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • just wanted to welcome you to spine health.
    we have alot of disectomy/lami patients around so i imagine some more will be coming around soon to give you their personal experiences.
    im a fusion patient so i don't have any advice on what is happening to you now.

hang in there i hope you start to feel better soon. ;)
    if you need any help at all around the boards don't hesitate to click our name and scroll down to send us a private message or just ask on the boards.
    one of the mods will be around to give you a list of their names incase you need them. :D

take care and good luck
    terri O:)
  • Hiya Sunflower >:D<
    Welcome to Spine Health, >:D< I hope we can give you help and advise, but as we are not medically trained, we can only advise you based on our own experiences. I hope you get as much as you can from Spine health, there are lots of links on here that will help you. I just want you to know that you are not alone and we are here for you. I had a disctectomy back in 2003, i wake up in the mornings with my back in a spasm, its so painful. I also have the radiating pain down my leg again. i am due to have epidural in november, and can not wait if im honest, i would do any thing to get some relief from the pain. There are many here that are in the same situation as you on here. Check out our chat room. Hope to see you around soon. >:D<

Angie x :H
  • Hi,
    Unfortunately, I had 4 surgeries in 11 months. The same disk herniated 3 times. The third time meant fusion. I have foot numbness and pain from mine. This has been almost 2 years for me now trying to heal. Scar tissue needs to form to have healing occur. It is just a matter of where and how it scars. I don't know about that treatment you mention.
    Realize please that "you" haven't pushed more disk material out. When there is a weakness it could come out with even just a sneeze or turning.
    Are you having as much pain as before? Keep a journal of your symptoms and pain to see what is going on.
    julie
  • Hi Sunflower,
    I feel where you are coming from. I have had 2 laminectomy/discectomies on my L5/S1. The last one being only nine weeks ago. In mid-September, my back and leg pain came back as it was prior to surgery. I had another MRI which showed that the disc had reherniated...doc. suggest a fusion in late November. This is just my personal story and I am not suggesting this is what is happening with you. Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon! >:D<
  • Sunflower,
    Never easy are you wilting, I have had a laminectomy and fusion 90 and as you it is beyond frustrating when none of this has worked, your previous condition mandated some invasive surgery and doing nothing would not be an option, the difficulty is that it has not produced the expected results.

I could have gone on and had addition surgery and for as dire as my existing pain is I would not risk it being worse, on the basis of hope and expectation for a reduction, one would expect the surgeon to be positive and encouraging.

For me it was a professor and he said nothing could be done and no invasive procedure would help, it was something of a relief, in that potential intervention would in his opinion prove ineffectual and it took some guts to look me between the eyes and say sorry we can do nothing.

Evidence here would suggest that accumulative surgery although intended to improve our overall condition actually worsens it, at the behest of perceived or expected improvement it works for some but the risks are proportionate. None of this is easy when you are told this is you life every day for the future and many others live daily with conditions that are less than preferable for them, pain or not.

I choose not to impart all that angst and emotion in my life, I have the words to ascribe my condition in any horrific format, and my dire existence at times unimaginable, it takes great strength to ignore this and smile or even talk on some days and I applaud my tenacity and effort. As many I endure pain that we would not let an animal suffer and it is never easy.

R Sternbach wrote many books on PM.

Take care John.

advertisement