Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg killing me!!!

lmestonllmeston Posts: 46
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, It's been a few weeks since I have been on here...sure hope everyone is doing well or at least be where they should be in there recovery. I have kept you in my prayers.
I have done so well....no back pain etc. All the little helpers they wanted me to buy....hosp. I needed none of them. The toilet set handles were a help, but I would have done fine with out it, so I feel very blessed.
NOW....for my problem. You know how they want us to walk, walk, walk well, I'm doing that plus pretty much everything else I did before as long as I have my brace on and do not lift anything over a gallon of milk. I okayed this per nurse. My problem is when I walk, walk, walk...then I can't sleep for the pain in my leg. I mean it's on fire like pain! Now when I have a slower day....a little lazy I notice my leg does not hurt as much...still hurts but not as bad.....so I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. I have a day and a half worth of pain meds. Pain meds do help!
Has ANYONE had this nerve pain after their PLIF? I'm scared to death that this will not go away....oh,I don't know if I could live with this....it's that bad. Surgery...no pain....now my leg is killing me....HELP! PLEASE! :''(
Wishing all of you the best in your recovery or upcoming surgery, Lmeston
advertisement

Comments

• I have found a couple of things in combination work. I am taking a Calcium/Magnesium/Vitamin D supplement twice day. That has eliminated the thobbing and aching I would get in the legs at night. You might want to ask your doctor about either nerontin/gabapentin or amitriptyline. Both are good for nerve pain and especially help me sleep at night. I am taking the latter and it has really helped. Have you told your doctor about the nerve pain? Do you know the cause? If it is adhesions, then if you google adhesion prevention, there are some supplements that are approved by NIH or Mayo that also help. I get mine the same place where I have the acupuncture and it has made a difference. For the most part, this has helped me to stay off the pain meds. On average, I only have to take them once a week now. I hope this helps! Good Luck :)))
  • Thank, thank you for your great advice. Yes, the nurse knows about the pain she did put me on neurontin 300mg X 3 daily...and I have been on this for about three weeks.
    How long have you been suffering with this pain? My surgery has just been a little over a month....I'm scared to death that I am going to have to live with this pain now....I know I'm worrying about something that may never happen, please. Oh, my I would have rather lived with the back pain than this leg issue. I guess I just am wondering how long you have been going through this....and when calling the doctors office tomorrow what things should I ask if any?
    Oh, did your pain get worse at night? I kind of got that feeling from you. If anything come to mind....please post me back. You just don't know how much you are helping me. Not that I want you in pain....but just know there is somone out there who knows what your going through helps.
    Thanks again, lmeston/Libby
  • i too have the nerve pain, im on the gabepatin it doent seem to help. M surgery was on the 14th so im not even a week post op yet but OMG the fire in my legs wont let up. Its absolutel horrible so i feel our pain i wish i could give ou some pointers but im just tring to uck it up and deal with it, not really working but not much i can do about it.
  • Hi,and oh I really feel your pain....mine started about a week after surgery too. (9/16/08) Fire, that's the only way I can explain the pain }:) No, at least I only have one leg on fire....I can't imagine having BOTH. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.....I'm calling my doctors office today, if they give me anything that helps ease this crazy pain up I will post you back.....but, I doubt that's going to happen. I did see this in a magazine ad and did look it up on the computer....the stuff is called NEURAGEN. It's for chronic nerve pain. You can get it at Rite-Aid, CVS. I'm going to go get some and try it.....anything at this point.
    I'll keep you posted on any new ideals or whatevers.....also, thank you for your service in Iraq....I hate it so much that you were injured....but your alive, and things will get better for you and me in the next few months....you didn't make it through everything to suffer the rest of your life, no way!
    If you need to vent.....I'm here...vent all you want....I sure understand where your coming from.(the fire anyway)
    Keep your chin up, Libby
  • i also got nerve pain a few days after i got home.
    i also called and they said give it time.
    of course i am not walking so that makes a huge difference.
    heat is awesome for the throbbing feeling if you have that.
    or ice packs. sometimes ice will numb the pain, sometimes makes it worse. depends on the person.

they did alot of digging in there hunny. your only a month out to, so give it some time.
    the dr should give you something!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    its the nerves healing they were aggravated by the surgery itself and are as mad as heck right now.

you hang in there!!!
    lots of hugs
    terri >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Thanks for your post....yeah, I know those nerves are upset right now, but I was getting around so well and now no way! It kills me to try and walk around or even stand to iron a few things. Called the doctors office/nurse yesterday they upped the neurontin and gave me valium for bed time....no pain meds! I go back to the doctors office in two weeks and they would not give me pain medication for just that long.....I was a little ticked off over that. I asked if I could drive.....no longer on pain meds, no, can't do that either. I'm sooooo lucky in the one area....I have done beyond great! I needed nothing coming home....got around great have been doing EVERYTHING for myself and even doing light house work....per nurses ok......and then this set back! I guess that's why I'm having such a difficult time with all of this. I just pray that they( nerves) do settle down....oh, my I can't imagine living with this....rather go back to the way I was.......anyway, thanks for your support....it sure means a lot.
    How are you doing? Would love to hear how things are going for you......still keeping all of my back buddies in my prayers....we sure need them, right now for sure!
    Again, thanks, Libby
  • Hi,and just want to check in and see how you are doing....me about the same. They keep telling me this is going to go away.....it better!
    Called the doctors office yesterday....two weeks till next dr visit. Told them I was no better...out of pain meds...patches gone, pills gone, valium gone, and this leg was killing me. Well, they upped the neurontin, and gave me a refill for the valium...bedtime only,and no pain meds! No pain meds could I drive...no can't do that either So, I'm sucking it up and doing the best I can. Sure makes it hard to get around and move when you hurt so badly....and you have both legs!!!I just really feel for you and want you to know that......I hope the pain....those angry nerves get happy very soon for you.
    Keeping you in my thoughts, Libby :)
advertisement