Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Okay - I hope this is not offensive, but I have to know

lstellerllsteller Posts: 1,428
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm assuming that, for the most part, we're all adults here. I don't want to offend anyone, but I'm about to have my last four vertebrae (discs at L3/4, L4/5, and L5/S1) fused. Now, this area is largely responsible for the motion involved in intercourse. Am I going to become someone who just lies there as stiff as a board? :?? There are certain capabilities one just does not want to lose. I suppose I have no choice, but can someone enlighten me as to how much restriction we have after we get fused? Moderators - if you think this is too risque, please delete it, but I kind of want to know.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
advertisement

Comments

• no clue, but that sucks!
  • 8>
    lsteller said:
    I'm assuming that, for the most part, we're all adults here. I don't want to offend anyone, but I'm about to have my last four vertebrae (discs at L3/4, L4/5, and L5/S1) fused. Now, this area is largely responsible for the motion involved in intercourse. Am I going to become someone who just lies there as stiff as a board? :?? There are certain capabilities one just does not want to lose. I suppose I have no choice, but can someone enlighten me as to how much restriction we have after we get fused? Moderators - if you think this is too risque, please delete it, but I kind of want to know.

Linda

Hi Linda;
    I have a multilevel Fusion ffrom S1/L5 to L2 and I have had no problems after the Fusion was solid.You will not be 'as stiff as a Board",because a lot of the Movements comes from the Hips,as well.
    I certainly hope,this explain it and if you need more info,PM me.(And please stop worrying!!)
    Take Care
    Rosarian :)
  • Thanks - that really takes a load off my mind. I mean, I'm gettin' old, but I'm not dead yet!! B)

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I had L4-s1 fused in June so one level less than you will have. For the most part I will say that I can move pretty good at this point in recovery. Even though things are still a little slower right now You don't have to just lay there and you are not stiff as a board. Best of luck on your upcoming surgery.
  • i moved great last year.
    alot of ppl think because of the hardware your going to be stiff as a board.
    NOPE :D
    i did all sorts of crazy moves :X :X
    of course when surgery is done your not going to have that vision in your head because you will feel like a stiff board.

alot of surgeries these days are done with titanium verses your old metal that they used to use. which is lighter. so mabye that makes a difference. not sure on that one.

we met a guy last yr who has a steel rod through his whole spine. he does everything. outdoors kinda guy. chopping wood you name it.. B)

just remember after surgery give it time i was dancing at 6 months. and it felt fine.. <:P

good luck to ya on surgery day. keep up with those meds and the drs post op instructions.
    we will get your through your journey >:D< >:D<
  • In fact, it's even better - you are pain free or close to it and can have a great time. But, we waited until just recently! :)))
  • In fact, it's even better - you are pain free or close to it and can have a great time. But, we waited until just recently! :)))
advertisement