Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Home from 3 lvl ACDF w plating

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OH MY! Well, my surgery on the 15th didn't quite go as expected. There was a lot more disease and spinal compression than the MRI showed, so the 3 hour surgery was almost 6 hours. At one point there was some degree of paralysis but it was recovered. It's funny what they don't think you hear in recovey.
I have had major swallowing issues and my larynx is damaged but both are getting better. But I did have to stay in the hospital for 4 nights because I couldn't swallow and my bladder decided it didn't want to come back to life after anethesia.
I am having to use a walker beause apparently the abovementioned paralysis was my right leg. It too is improving.
So, I am on voice rest, and must use the walker. I have to wear a Miami-J collar 24 hours, even in the shower.
BUT, I do have to say; my right arm that was partially paralyzed is no longer. I can straighten it and pick things up with it. So cool!!

advertisement

Comments

• Home from having 2nd surgery had acdf C$-C7 in Jan 2008 but did not fuse so had the posterior done on the 7th of Oct. wow what a difference in the 2 surgery's. They said this was longer harder etc... I'm almost 2 weeks post op still on crazy pain meds and yeah when does it get better?? I have a severe Vitamin D deficeincy and a -2.9 bone density and cannot take the osteoporosis meds so when it did not fuse he said lets go in from the back and fuse it do the front... I asked the Dr. what if this doesn't take and he said he had never had one not heal when done from both the front and back... anybody had this done?? I am hoping for better results as this time I am not smoking and have been off the steroids for 8 months now so maybe.. but how long? I don't want to go another 6 months thingsa re fine and healing to all of a sudden no they are not and we have to go back in... frustrated, will I have movement after this? I see the surgeon on Wed. to get the staples out so will know more then. Anybody know of any key questions I should ask of the Dr??
    Thanks for all everybody's help and for listening... R.
  • so glad your home. ;)
    so sorry you had to deal with all the unexpected in the hosptial. we just never know whats going to go on till we get there and its done and over.
    one good thing is your arm works <:P <:P <:P <:P
    just keep going by the docs instructions you will get there eventually.
    a few steps ahead, a few back.
    we are here for you as you know to get you through your recovery..

good luck hun
    terri >:D< O:)
  • Ever thought you were out there by yourself?? LOL It sounds as if we have a similiar history... they have been "testing" for MS for almost 10 years now, though I have had several episodes etc... but still have too many other health issues to figure things out yet; have now a total of 8 brain lesions and 1 @ L2 I have Fibromyalgia, Possible MS, benign or relapsing remitting no treatment needed yet?? Thyroid disease Vitamin D deficeint have to take 100,000 units a week I had the ACF surgery in Jan. 08 things were fine until Augsut then things started to slip around the bones are too hollow, the bone grafts are not growing blah blah ... I had just gotten off the crazy pain meds after 3 years of taking almost 500 mg. of MSContin DAILY along with all the muscle relaxers and non narcotic pain stuff made me stupid.. Back up to 100 mg morphine ER 3 times a day and 8 mg of Dilaudid every 4 hours too, see the surgeon on Wed. get the staples out and see what he saw in there... good luck with your future tests etc.. they can test your spinal fluid for the MS protein as well but only after the stenosis is taken care of... Good Luck and thanks for your outlook and Faith, you will be in my prayers,Ramona