Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery finally scheduled-11/6/08-1 level ACDF C6/C7 (m)....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, I met with my original NS yesterday and he is the one I am going with. He is SO nice and so thoughtful and even though he's just completed his residency, he has a lot of experience. I talked with one of his patients in the waiting room yesterday who had her neck collar on. She said she was VERY happy with him.

Now, According to my MRI I do have small protrusions/herniations in all my above disks - but they are not bad enough for fusions at this time. As for the future, he says "let nature take its course" on how they'll react to the fusion at C6/C7.

He said he will do a one level fusion with titanium plate and screws. Clean up any arthritis and bone spurs, etc. I will have incision in front and a Vista hard collar for 6 weeks.

He says I can drive with the collar when I'm comfortable, but not far. Off work for about 4 weeks but longer if I need to. He says I have no "reserve" in there if I were to get hit by a car or fall, I would probably be paralyzed.

Anyhow, I'll find out more info this week as I have to go back for more details/paperwork and labs. Then I have to make an appt. with my regular doc for preop.

My Mom was with me and is so glad (and me too) that I am FINALLY getting this taken care of.

So everyone who has had a one level fusion - can you give me some info on your recovery was like please? Or any other good info (well, and bad too LOL). THANKS everyone!

Sandra

Sandra
advertisement

Comments

• Trust me I have been wearing my collar for 24/7 for 7 weeks now and I would never trust myself to drive, please be careful, if worn correctly you can not see below or to either side of you enought to drive,,, just and FYI.... good luck with your surgery, I had the same one with 3 levels 4 years ago... Cyndi
  • what was the type of surgery you just had? Holy cow 7 weeks already - how long do you have to wear it? My NS was like "well, whenever you're comfortable", so that does scare me what you said. I have a 6 yhear old I have to cart to school which is only about 3 miles all back roads and 3 stop signs. All pretty safe. I WILL be careful though and totally monitor how I feel behind the wheel before I make the real decision to drive or not. THANK YOU so much for your comment.
    Sandra
  • posterior laminectomy with lateral screw fixation, they went throught the back cut through my muscle loosened up the nerve channel, did some shaving of bone spurs, and fused 5,6,7... I will be in this til dec 1 and then weaned off of it..... I had a pretty drastic surgery.... have you looked on line to see the collar?
  • if I scared you,, I did not mean to.. everyone is different, I had alot done, and I cant move my neck... so if I was to drive I would not be able to react... I had your surgery 4 years ago and it was totally different.. I was driving at around 4-5 weeks, and getting around quite well, I was out from Jan1-april 1.. I also have a very labor intensive job, Im a chef/baker
advertisement