Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lower facet arthritis pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, I am a 58 years old male with facet arthritis in my lower left side L3 and L4 (MRI). Had injections on Friday, its a little better, but pain has been with me for 6 months.I am starting physical therapy this week.Doctor said a few days for shot to work. Any sugesstions for pain relief? I am a personal trainer, and doing my stretching 2 times a day.Its great to hear others peoples ideas, thanks.................Dan Faust
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine Health!

Do you know if you had facet blocks or did you have an epidural?

I had almost instant relief from a facet block but it was only diagnostic so it only lasted a few hours. I had an epidural "once" and had a reaction to the steroids so I can't give you any good personal experience there. Most people say they have better relief from the epidural in about two weeks.

Ice is what helped me. I would take those 4 X 9 ice packs and place them right over the area of pain and wrap a towel tightly around me to hold the ice pack in place. Worked like a champ.

"C"
  • :H hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to off you support and answer what questions we can. i suffer from arthritis as you do. it can be very painful. ~X( you are doing alot of the right things. it will take few days for your injection to feel better. rest and ice may help with the swelling there. i walk and stretch every day to help with pain control.there are conservative measures which may help you. massage, acupuncture are a few you haven't tried. we have an "Arthritis" forum you might want to check out.take good care of yourself and i hope to see you around the forum. Jenny :)
  • I too suffer from facet arthritis. The best relief that I have found is a rhizotomy (nerve burn). It normally controls my pain for about 1 year and then I have it done again. You may want to ask your doc if you would be a candidate for this. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I agree with "painintheback". I found the best relief from rhizotomy. I have had several injections of steroid while waiting for the approval from my insurance company. Enough steroids that I was starting to get side effects from them, moon face, etc. I also went to PT, have a home exercise program that also helps plus medication. Also have a tens unit.
    I try to keep busy, exericse, walking, swimming, stationery bike, etc. I work all day sitting at a computer so I get very uncomfortable. Try to take frequent breaks and get up, move around. It is a tough thing to live with.
    My pain still is not 100% controlled.
    Good luck and welcome to spine health.
    OZ
  • I have the great arthur too! Seems some days everything aches no matter what I do. Celebrex helps some to keep down the inflammation.

Find some anti-inflammatory to take, use heat and ice. A TENS unit helps too if you can get ahold of one of those. You might try a back brace to see if some immobilization helps with the pain or not.

• I also use a good lumbosacral back brace that I got fitted for and it does help.
advertisement