Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am brand new to this forum. I had a postier cervical decompression and fusion C3-C7 on sept 22. Prior to that surgery I was experiencing chronic daily headaches for 11 years. Seen too many doctors and took too many meds.
This is my last resort basically. A painful surgery. He took out 3 bones and used pins and screws and then fused the whole thing.
So it has been 4 weeks and my question is: how should I be feeling? I have been happy to report no headaches up until now. Now they come when I stand up. I am having trouble keeping a good attitude when my heart is crying: "the headaches are back, surgery did nothing"
I wear a neck brace and I am logical enough to know that it could be a number of things but I would love to hear feedback on this type of situation from others. I need to keep a good attitude my sister says but why am I getting those "old" headaches now? Everything is healing perfectly and I don't see the doctor until nov 14. Then the brace comes off.
Tell me this is temporary and I will be able to breathe deep again.

thank you

advertisement

Comments

• Hi and Welcome to Spine Health. Have you contacted your doc about the headaches? You say they only happen when you stand up? What about sitting up.

I've had 2 posterior surgeries at C1 and C2 and I can tell you it wasn't "fun" getting through the initial healing process. I didn't start to feel decent for nearly 2 months. I didn't have any hardware installed either.

Hang in there. I would definitely recommend contacting your doc if you haven't already about your headaches.

"C"
  • thank you for your reply's -
    my sister suggested I use this forum. I am still pretty confused by the whole "post" thing but will keep trying to learn - it can't be that hard. I did read the info for new members.

just observing for a while
    headcase
  • Are the same kind of headaches as before. The reason I ask it that my dr told me that the bracing can cause headaches and muscle pain in the neck and shoulders. I am experiencing that but it is nothing like the pain I felt before. I hope thats all it is...and like someone pointed out in another thread...your body went through a major trauma with surgery so some pain is normal. If you are concerned that its not related to surgery then I would call the dr. Hope you're feeling better soon. >:D<
  • hey
    i had posterior fusion c1 c2 sept 9. hurt like he**. i am eight weeks post op and i feel great. i had lots of hardware put in there too.

i totally agree with the brace thing. this miami j collar is giving me shooting pain and headache.

i am to wear it for three months. ask anyone here . . . . .i am anxious to get out of it!! i call it my ball and chain.

i recently started driving too. i am almost pain free. using teylenol for pain.

hey . . . .have u started hearing any snap crackle pop yet??

i was petrified when all that started.

keep posting. glad to hear i am not the only posterior sufferer.

it gets better everyday.
  • I have an aspen neck brace and need to keep it on only 2 more weeks (its been five so far). I wondered if the collar might be giving me some of this pain so thank you for pointing that out. But what is snap crakle pop? You are scaring me!
    My fusion was c2 through c7 and he took out 3 bones. I am getting better with time I agree but it is slow! :)

------------------------------------------
    47 yr. old female, chronic headaches 11 years, have tried everything, recently added surgery to the list. No kids, one small dog and husband. Surgery was 9/22/08. postier decompression and fusion -c2-c7. glad thats over!!
    recovering and hoping to get my job back.
  • I'm only 2 weeks out but no snap crackle pop yet....before surgery I used to think my neck would feel so much better if i could get it to snap crackle and pop...so it'll be interesting if that happens.
advertisement