Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

opinion on autografts

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi there,

Did anyone opt for an autograft for personal reasons?

Thanks,
Elle
advertisement

Comments

• If I had to choose between autograft and allograft, I would have chosen autograft. However, my surgeon used BMP in plastic cages. It's even BETTER than autograft. Only approved for lumbar fusions, though. Some surgeons are using it in the cervical area and there are major issues with it. It was in the news not too long ago. Definitely not cool.... My doctor said any BMP at all in the cervical area is too much. But if they are doing your cervical area, possibly they can just use some bone from that area instead of the iliac crest? That's generally pretty painful according to consensus.
  • Doctors usually prefer autograft because it is coming from your own body so less risk of rejection / other issues. I have heard of patients on this board say NO WAY would they want allograft because they would not want part of someone else in them so, yes, there does appear to be people who opt for autograft for personal reasons.

Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Thank you Lo and Bruce for your reply.

My surgeon said he would recommend the allograft soaked in my bone marrow. I know there is little risk of disease with the allograft, but I think using cadaveur bone would really freak me out. It is strange that I am concerned about this (I am an organ donor BTW); but it does bother me.
  • elle37 said:
    Thank you Lo and Bruce for your reply.

My surgeon said he would recommend the allograft soaked in my bone marrow. I know there is little risk of disease with the allograft, but I think using cadaveur bone would really freak me out. It is strange that I am concerned about this (I am an organ donor BTW); but it does bother me.
    I used autograft for my fusion. I think that if my surgeon had suggested cadaver bone I would have freaked out and said no too. Even tho I know that scientifically & medically it is safe, emotionally I don't think that I could have done it!
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Hey I have it all, my bone, bmp, and probably several other peoples bones all mixed up together =)) My surgeon used DBM, donor bone matrix. It is made from cadaver, but highly processed and somehow irradiated to kill all the cooties. It is in some type of putty form that helps it to stay where they put it. My surgeon doesn't believe in using iliac crest grafts anymore. He said too much pain for the patient when other stuff works better or just as good. It is not bothering me. I am more bothered by the PLASTIC cage that I have. Will it hold up? Will they find some long term down the road untoward effect? Oh well, c'est la vie or however you spell that. I am just working on fusing away hopefully. >:D< Sue
  • When I worked in Pathology, I was in a private hospital and helped our ortho registrar set up the bone bank there. (this was 20 yrs ago and pretty new at the time).
    When we got harvested bone from patients, we then toook their blood for HIV, HEP VDRL etc and then repeated it in 3 months. If all was clear the bone went into the bank for future use.
    When the bone was required, we unfroze it, tested the bone itself for the same bugs and contacted the donor to re-do all the tests (patient paid nothing) and if all came up clear then the bone was used in the new patients surgery.
    I am assuming that when you use cadaver bone, it has gone through a similar procedure prior to surgery and been tested for HIV, Hep etc.

The only thing that would feel funny is having someones bone in you but then we are happy to accept blood when needed.

I think that whatever way you go it becomes your no matter what. As soon as the bone starts mixing with your cells it is like you have put your own imprint on it. :))(

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Hi Elle,

I had a 3 level fusion (C3-C6) on September 17th and the doctor used cadaver bone. It was his choice but it would also have been mine if he asked because with all the arthritus I have there was no way I was going to allow anyone to take bone from my hip. I also was conserned about a second surgery site and additional possiblity of infection. I KNOW that your own bone is the gold standard for multilevel fusion but from what I have read using a bone stimulator (I am) greating improves fusion rate on multi level fusions so hopefully this will make up for not using my own bone. The surgeon did use ground up bone from all the bone spurs and stuff he removed to pack around the grafts so my own bone is in there too.
    LJ
advertisement