Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upper back lifting brace?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Ok so I've been looking for a lifting back brace for my girlfriend. She is a cashier at a grocery store and spends all day long picking up fairly heavy products. She has to reach over the belt and bend her upper back and pick up items out of peoples carts over and over and this has caused her sometimes severe back pain right in between her shoulder blades. My question is will a conventional lifting back brace help her out?

http://store. orthoathletic.com/product/70-160.html

Or is there is brace built specifically for the upper back that would be more helpful to her. Any advice at all is appreciated, thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Evan and Welcome,

I would suggest your girlfriend would look into a Posture support belt or even a posture support bra for upper back. I've seen the belts at pharmacy type stores. These will help keep the back straight while lifting but the store may have things she could ask for as well.

Grocery stores have wands that can extend for scanning. Sounds like she may need to have a conversation with manager to supply a wand for scanning and a lumbar belt like the grocery stockers wear. The lumbar belt is great for constant lifting and will help some with upper back. Management have funds and access to safety materials for workers. Especially if it's a national chain they probably have a safety committee. I use to be an accounting manager for a national chain and they usually have a person in charge of safety classes and materials. Hope these suggestions help. :)

Take care
    O-