Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Getting ready for neck surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, I'm getting ready to have C5 and C6 surgial repaired. I'm going to have the fusion done. (really scared) Just wondering how long recovery time was, and was there many restrictions afterwards? I'm a presser at Tuchman Cleaners so I wasn't for sure how long that was going to put me away from work. Also, how long is the weight restrictions? I bowl on Saturday nights ( well I did anyways) Thanks for any information you can give me. Tammy
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Tammy,

I can't tell you what to expect, but I can tell you that I am having the same fusion on Dec, 10. I also have a syrinx in the same disc area. They hope it may be related to the blown disc but can't say for certain. I will keep checking to see how your surgery went.

good luck, -rob
  • I was TERRIFIED I had never had any kind of major surgery and they were talking about my spine! I will tell you that I am 2 weeks past surgery and it's getting better every day. I had days I thought my life was over as I knew it but I now know that I can have my life back as it was before it will just take some time. Do exactly what your doc tells you to and know that you will find a lot of support here. The worst of it was the first few days after surgery but that's with any surgery of course. I still sleep wrong some nights and wake up in the mornings sore but that is the worst of it now. I ate my first real meal today and food tastes twice as good after surgery like this. Stock up on popsicles and have lots of support around you and you will be ok. We will all be praying for you and hoping that all goes well. Oh and pillows. Lots and lots of comfy pillows. :)
  • Tammy36 said:
    Hello, I'm getting ready to have C5 and C6 surgial repaired. I'm going to have the fusion done. (really scared) Just wondering how long recovery time was, and was there many restrictions afterwards? I'm a presser at Tuchman Cleaners so I wasn't for sure how long that was going to put me away from work. Also, how long is the weight restrictions? I bowl on Saturday nights ( well I did anyways) Thanks for any information you can give me. Tammy
    Hi Tammy,
    5 weeks ago today I had ACDF surgery on C3>C6 with grafts, titanium plates and screws. First 2 weeks after surgery pretty much sucked :) but after that I started feeling lots better. I still have the 5lb (no push, pull or lift more then) weight restriction and I am still out on disability. I start PT next week. I don't know what your pre surgery condition is but I had spinal cord compression as well as crushed nerves which created problems with my hands and arms. I'm still having problems with my right hand but hoping it improves in time.
    Good luck to you,
    LJ
  • Thank you everyone for there wonderful info. :)))

My C5 and C6 are out with nerve inpinchment, which is causing me to lose strenght in my L arm. It's also giving me lots of headaches (which are going into migraine) I think and hope with hearing your wonderful stories this will put my mind at ease. I will keep looking and praying for everyone. Tammy O:)
  • Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful info you gave me. I go back to my surgeron on Nov. 6 for my preop and to go over ever thing 1 more time before the big day. :SS (which is going to be at the end of Nov. I'm so ready to get the nerve impeachment fix (but scared to pieces at the same time) my left arm is always going numb, so tired getting migraine headaches. Does anyone else get the headaches like me? Thank you again for the wonderful info and I will keep praying for everyone. O:)
  • Good luck with your surgery,i will say a prayer for you ...
advertisement