Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Uncle passed away today.

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 547
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Matters of the Heart
My uncle Eddie died of bone cancer.

Years ago, he suffered a broken leg while hunting. The leg never healed properly, and he got gang green. He then had the leg amputated. After years of pain his meds stopped working. He went to the doctor 3 months ago, and a bone scan showed stage 4 bone cancer. The powerful pain medication that he had been on for years, masked the symptoms. They gave him 3 months to live.

He was terribly ill for the last 3 months, and being the man that he was, couldn't be contained by any hospital staff. He died at home today with my grandmother by his side. He was 60 years old.

He lived a very full albeit dangerous life. He will be missed. When ever I think of my uncle, I will remember with a smile. I am glad to know the man who robbed a bank to fund a trip to reno. The man who dressed as a woman to elude police officers. The man who smoked in his room in the hospital, and broke out of his nursing home. The man who was afraid of nothing, and did everything. His headstone will not read "If only I'd had less fun"

I just wish I could be with my grandmother to comfort her. How one woman can bury two husbands, and too many of her children is beyond me.

Yes, its a little gray today. I am sad to see him go, but glad to see he is no longer in pain. I know that he is finally at peace.

advertisement

Comments

• sounds like he knew how to enjoy life. Maybe not the best decision to rob a bank, but... hope the reno trip was worth it. The headstone quote sounds perfect.

I'm sorry for your loss. You sound like a very compassionate person, and I know you will be there with support for your grandmother.

By the way, how are you doing? Haven't seen you around as much lately.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Sorry to hear about your loss >:D< . Seems your uncle led a full and fruitful life :O . Think of the happy memories that you have of him :) . You are in my thoughts :? . Blessings O:)

Angie >:D<
  • Just not feeling myself lately. A little blue for the last week or so I guess. I'm good though. And yes, my father was just recounting the bank robbery story for me. Made me smile. For sure not the best idea... don't think he made it to reno... but a nice way to remember him!

Thanks for your response... I'll be around :)

• Very sorry for your loss, I send my condolences to you and your family.Sounds like a great man who lived life by his terms and left by them too.

my thoughts to you as well,

matt
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    Whenever someone close to you passes it is never easy to accept. From what you described, he did live a full life and and recently it did appear he was suffering. Bone cancer is one of the more painful cancer's. I know its hard to hear, but now he is no longer suffering.
    When loved ones pass away, the suffering shifts to the ones who are still around.
    Sometimes, when I think about loved ones I know who have died, I try to just think about the good times I spent with them and what they did that helped my life in some way and others.
    Amanda, words really cant do anything at this time to make you feel better.
    Take care of yourself and I will be thinking about you
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • for your loss...I will keep you and your family in my prayers...if there is anything that I can do then please just let me know....Miki
  • I am feeling so much better today. I spoke with my grandmother last night, and she is doing surprisingly well. My dad is there with her, so I know she is being taken care of.

Thank you for your kind words
    Amanda
  • The only thing I can think of to say is that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. The passing of a family member is hard. No matter the life they lived.

Take care, sweets. If you need to talk (text?) know that we are all here for you and sending cyber hugs >:D< and love your way.

Jeaux
  • I'm sorry for the loss of your uncle. It sounds like he lived quite an exciting life. You and your family are in my thoughts.
  • Sorryto hear about your uncle...you take care
advertisement