Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Unrelated Post OP Nausea, Can't hold down Meds

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I know this is really long but please read it, I am in need of your help!

Hi all,
This is my first entry, I am a 31 year old female who had back surgery a little less than 2 months ago. I was diagnosed with 2 ruptured disc, stenosis, and a compression fracture. My surgeon performed an Anterior/Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion. For those of you who need further explanation as I did, I will do my best to explain to my knowledge what took place. They began the surgery by making an incision in my abdomen and removed 2 disc, L4-5 and L5-S1. They then drilled into my hip bone to remove stem cells and placed inside a plastic artificial disc, they also placed 3 small springs in each disc and placed spacers in front of the artificial disc to keep them in place while the turned me on to my stomach. Then they inserted 2 titanium post and 6 screws into the spine. Please excuse anything I may not have understood correctly.
SO HERE IS THE PROBLEM. THE SURGERY WENT WELL BUT I HAD OTHER PREEXISTING HEALTH ISSUES THAT ARE CAUSING PROBLEMS SUCH AS CHRONIC VOMITTING, IN WHICH MULTIPLE DOCTORS HAVE FOUND NO CAUSE. MY FAMILY PHYSICIAN GIVES ME OVER 100 DOSES OF NAUSEA MEDICATION EACH MONTH, I GET 90 PHENERGAN AND MY INSURANCE WILL ONLY COVER 10 ZOFRAN PER MONTH WHICH WORKS BETTER THAN ANYTHING I HAVE FOUND. SHE ALSO PRETTY MUCH GIVES ME AS MANY SUPPOSOTORIES AS I NEED EACH MONTH. I HAVE KIDNEY STONES WITH FREQUENT URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS AND OVARIAN CYSTS THAT RUPTURE DUE TO ENDOMETRIOSIS. I KNOW I AM TO YOUNG FOR MY BODY TO FALL APART BUT IT WOULD APPEAR IT IS HAPPENING. I HAVE BEEN HOSPITALIZED 6 TIMES IN THE PAST 8 MONTHS NOT INCLUDING 2 SURGERIES FOR ENDOMETRIOSIS AND MY BACK SURGERY,
:sick: THE BIG ISSUE IS I CAN’T HOLD DOWN ANY OF MY PAIN MEDICATION WHICH IS NOW LORTAB AND SOMA. I WAS TAKING PERCOCET BUT CHOSE TO GO DOWN TO LORTAB HOPING IT WOULD GO EASIER ON MY STOMACH, WHICH HASN’T HELPED. I HAVE A CALL INTO MY SURGEON BUT I WANTED TO SEE IF ANY OF YOU GUYS COULD HELP ME OUT BY LETTING ME KNOW OF ANY ALTERNATIVE MEDICATIONS THAT AREN’T ORAL.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW OF ANY IDEAS YOU MAY HAVE OR MEDICATIONS YOU KNOW OF SO I CAN DISCUSS THEM WITH MY SURGEON. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks so much,
Haleigh
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. what about ginger tea? i am so sorry you are having difficulties with holding anything down. it must be so difficult to be in and out of the hospital so much. :''( anyway, perhaps the warm ginger tea will be of some help to you. i realize it is oral but that is all i can offer. good luck and let us know how you are getting along! Jenny :)
  • Hi Haleigh and Welcome.

I'm sorry you are going through so much. I know the pain of endometriosis and some of your other issues as well. Talk to your doctor's about trans-dermal medications. As Paul and many of us are on Fentanyl Patches for pain and they do come in many strengths. Patches come in other medications as well from hormone therapy to blood pressure medication which may be prescribed to treat another problem. I am not a doctor, just my experience.

In the meantime I have found that taking medication with Slimfast or Ensure holds in my stomach better. I think its because these drinks have a thicker substance and vitamins.

Take care of you,
    O-
  • that your surgeon went ahead and did this without getting to the bottom of the vomiting first. I can only imagine that constant vomiting would put a stress on your back and newly forming fusion.

Have you gone to the ER and got a shot of stemitil? I know that is only short term but to at least keep your meds down till you get an alternative.

Have you ever tried hypnotherapy or accupuncture for the vomiting and nausea????

Hope you get relief soon.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • I was going to suggest asking your physician about the fenatyl patch, also. I have stomach / esophagus problems and that is what works for me! Good luck! Hope you feel better soon..
  • Can you please tell me more about the fenatyl patch. I am totally unfamiliar with it. I am also having trouble getting a call back from the nurses. I am going to give them until tomorrow and then I will have to call after hours in order to speak with a Physicians Assistant.

I am fighting going to the ER as is due to the nausea and knowing that I am dehydrated but I hate going because I absolutely hate being in the hospital and don't want to be admitted. I am sorry to put all that out there guess I just needed to vent for a few seconds. Thanks for letting me get that out.

Please let me know about this patch, any info would be helpful. Does it work for muscle spasms? Do you know of any websites that offer info on the patch? I tried webmd but was not successful.

Thanks again.
    Haleigh
advertisement