Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Traveling

kimmeamkkimmeam Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am flying to CA. on Friday for my Neice's Sweet 16. I am going alone. I have never travelled by myself, & am a baby.It's a short flight but I do have 1 stop on the way. My concern is my luggage. I have an airport limo transfer to take me. Maybe the driver could carry my bags to check in? I will have to deal with my carry ons too. Somehow I have to get it stowed. I will wear my neck collar. Maybe someone will feel more likely to help me stow it in the overhead compartment.
Security? Will the plate & screws in my neck set off the alarm? Just have them wand my neck?
Yesterday I was hit like a hurricane with a nasy cold. I went to the Dr. She is treating me with antibiotics & an inhaler as the cough is so bad. I am so scared that I will break my neck from coughing. My husband is very concerned too. He tells me to not cough hard. Well when yoiu cough you cough & it's nasty. I have an inhaler & will suck on jolly ranchers as I can't stand cough drops. Shoud I be able to get a cough medicine or would that be bad with the pain meds? I must be better by Friday morning!
advertisement

Comments

• The limo guy will help you with your bags and when you get to the airport they will have people there to assist you too. Yes you will probably set the metal detectors off but all you have to do is advise them of your situation (like they won't see it). They will still have to wand you but it will only take a couple extra minutes. Once on the plane the flight attendants are very helpful. They will put your bags overhead for you but now for getting off you will have to wait for the plane to unboard for the attendants to help you or maybe someone near you will help. 90% of the time everyone is willing to help. Don't be concern and enjoy your trip. Things will be fine.

Rob (an experienced flier)
  • Call your doc and ask about cough medicine. It might not go well with pain meds, but dr will know. You can ask the airlines to have a wheelchair for you at planeside, and someone to push you, who will also help with your carry-on. Works for me. Have a great time, and enjoy your niece's party.
  • Theank you for your responses. I did clarify with the car service they will deliver me to curb-side check in only. I did just alter my reservation for wheelchair assistance. Evern though I don't need a wheelchair at least I should be able to get some help.
    I have not called my DR. about the cough meds. as I too thought that it would not be a good combo. I think I am better with the antibiotics & inhaler.
    Thank you for the kind advice!
    Kim
  • The metal used in fusions is usually titanium, which won't set off the metal detectors. I flew to Florida a couple of months ago and was scared of that but I never set it off. Ask your surgeon though- if anything else was used he can issue you a flying pass that tells security that you have an implant that contains metal. It takes all the hassle out of it!

Good luck and have fun on your trip!

Griff
  • I made it through security just fine. Did not set off alarms. I did request a wheelcahir but have now denied it,. They help me with my bags.
    Waiting in the Portland airport for my connection.
    Thanks for everything. Cold is getting better. No cough meds with the hydrocodone that I am all ready taking.
    Thanks to all!
    Kim
advertisement