Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Physical Therapy after ACDF.......feedback please

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am 5 weeks post surgery today and next Monday I start physical therapy. This kind of worries me since my doctor is one of those who does not use collars so I have been collarless since surgery. Has anyone been for PT after ACDF and if so what type of exercise did they have you do and also how soon after surgery did you start PT.
Thanks,
LJ
advertisement

Comments

• I (so far) don't have to have PT. My Dr said that as long as I work my neck myself doing exercises that I was sent home with before the surgery that I wouldn't need PT. Needless to say, I work my neck everyday. I was sent home with a collar that I only had towear while in a car or while out and about.

For exercises I turn my head from side to side...10 repetitions- 3x's and then do the same front to back. I'm not quite 3 weeks out so once I get further out I will begin to use my hands to add a little resistance. I really do not have the time to go to PT so I am making sure that I do these exercises myself. The Dr. said that if my neck starts to freeze up then I will have to have PT- not what I want to do..

So good luck to you! I hope your PT goes well and you don't find it too difficult!
  • LJ,
    After my first ACDF, I started PT around the 6 week mark. They did some arm bike, and the stretches that Chellephant does. While standing I lifted my arms up to shoulder height in front of me, and then to the side. Slowly they added flex bands.They also did some pressure point massage, turning my neck left to right while I was laying down. They also did heat and a tens unit for 15 minutes after I was done. I am glad that I had PT. My doctor's were not great believers of collars either, hard collar in the car for 6 weeks, soft collar for the first few days. Good luck.

mark
  • PT was only to regain arm strength, no exercises where allowed with my neck. Even after 6 weeks i ask when we going to start neck excises and was told never, NS told me he did not want PT on my neck and only reason for PT for me was to get muscles working again in my arm.
    So all my excercises and streches where for my arm.
  • I would think if you trusted your surgeon to do the surgery than you should feel just as comfortable with them ordering the PT. Some may not have Pt due to the type of condition for the surgery and or the amount of healing time needed depending on what was done in the surgery. Therapy is a great place to work on getting your core body strength back as well as the target muscles and in my opinion much better in a controlled environment. I have done the therapy and it was exactly what the surgeon ordered. While in therapy we worked with hand leg coordinations as well as strength on my arms hands and fingers. Some light stretching of the muscles in the shoulders and neck area. Just be sure and tell the therapist if anything they are having you do causes increased pain. Good luck in therapy and hope all goes well.

• Thanks everyone for the feedback on PT. It helps to know what other folks have done. I start tomorrow so I will know better what to expect then.
    LJ
  • Good luck on PT.
    Not having a collar may be in your favor as your neck muscles were not all cooped up in it.

My first few sessions consisted of moving my neck side to side, up and down, they had me get on my hands and knees, and put my leg out ( like a tush exercise) while also using my neck. These like 5 reps on each side of the neck
    Then heat. LOVE THE HEATTTTTTTTTT :D :D :D :D

Then they continued with arm exercises, tens unit and heat.
    Then after 4wks I continued these at home.

No doubt you will be sore the first few weeks, its like a workout sore,
    but it does feel good and then its nice to use your neck the way its meant to be.

Let us know how you make out today Since all PT's do thing differently in different orders.
  • i had c1 c2 posterior fusion twice (july 08 2008 and sept 2008). i hope to God my NS sends me for PT. i have been in this collar since May. My muscles get so tense and so sore.

at this point i think that if i removed the collar my head would not move anyway. . .. . maybe my whole cervical spine, muscles and nerves have fused by this time!!! :))(

ps see NS on thursday. praying he lets me out of it.
  • Didn't know they could fuse the C1-2. Feel a little bit better now because I had C5-7 fusion in March of '07 and now the 2 discs above are failing. Will know if I am having surgery after my discogram on Nov. 11th

Good luck to you
  • tom . . . he told me my next step would be c1 c2 c2 to my occipital are. nice eh?? hoping i don't go there!!!

seeing him on thursday and hopefully i will have more fusion!!
  • TerriJV said:
    Good luck on PT.
    Not having a collar may be in your favor as your neck muscles were not all cooped up in it.

My first few sessions consisted of moving my neck side to side, up and down, they had me get on my hands and knees, and put my leg out ( like a tush exercise) while also using my neck. These like 5 reps on each side of the neck
    Then heat. LOVE THE HEATTTTTTTTTT :D :D :D :D

Hi Terri,
    I think you are right that all PTs do things different. For instance mine said use ice packs for 10 minutes of every hour and stay away from heat. She said heat makes inflammation worse. I loved heat also but will just use ice to see what happens. I have been coughing a lot (but not like a sick cough). The front of my throat is very tight (I am not sure how to explain this but it feels like a lot of pressure on my throat). The PT says she expects to get a good result with my right arm, which has been quite a problem since surgery. She basically said if the nerves are not cut then they can repair themselves. She says I hold my head tipped toward the right but I told her I keep finding myself tipping my head left. She thinks its to compensate for the right tip. I don't know, I would just like to recover and then get my butt back to work. Still could not sit all day on the computer so it will be a few weeks yet.
    LJ
  • roxy54321 said:
    i had c1 c2 posterior fusion twice (july 08 2008 and sept 2008). i hope to God my NS sends me for PT. i have been in this collar since May. My muscles get so tense and so sore.

at this point i think that if i removed the collar my head would not move anyway. . .. . maybe my whole cervical spine, muscles and nerves have fused by this time!!! :))(

ps see NS on thursday. praying he lets me out of it.
    Hi Roxy,
    I hope your NS sends you for PT and I hope you get out of the collar soon. Sounds like you have been though a lot. I wish you a good recovery.
    LJ
  • Mark that is a tough deal. I'm going in for a 3 level ACDF and am hoping I only have one surgery. Any tips on avoiding more or is it out of my hands and just in the cards either way?
  • Chellephant. Great picture. You're very pretty.

I'm going July 27th for a 3 level ACDF. The post surgery papers say no bending or rotation of my neck for 6 weeks. Avoid extreme and repetitive side to side movement and back and forth tilting of my head. No neck massages either.

They left out the "attached" paper for exercises after my neck surgery. I have that on my list to discuss with the nurse who calls pre op.

Hearing that you're working your neck daily has me confused. I surely don't want a stiff neck but I also don't want to cause problems. Any info about this would be greatly appreciated!
advertisement