Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi all just wanted to share my story and hopefully hear yours!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello Im thrilled to find this site and looking forward to meeting new friends.
I am about to have my 2nd discectomy.
I had the first done on my left L4/5 after a year of mind bending pain but had since enjoyed 6 terrific "happy back" years.
However,3 motnhs ago, after being naughty and moving a wardrobe by myself (no I dont know what the hell I was thinking either!! :W )
I am now having the right side L4/5 discectomy performed on the 28th October (so yep next Tuesday!).
I am grateful to have the same incredible orthopedic surgeon do this for me and although I have the normal nerves about the surgery I just cannot wait to get this over and done with.
I would LOVE to chat to anyone who has had more than one discectomy.
I live in Western Australia am 41 and Mum of two adorable daughters, Grace is 20 and Sarah is 15 (and Im so grateful for all their help too).
I come from a family of back sufferers with my Mum now battling osteoarthritis in her back but finding gentle water therapy and yoga to be helpful.
Have already read some fo your incredible stories and it is indeed a comfort to know there is understanding and support out there.
Thanks and please say a prayer for me if you remember on the 28th, cheers Janette (sofiesmum) by the way sofie is my chihuahua xxx
advertisement

Comments

• welcome to spine-health....
  • I have only had one disctectomy (L4/5). I'm not sure how your experience was the first time, but I was amazed at how well the surgery went. Unfortunately, mine was not the success which your first one was. Ironically, mine too is now bulging to the other side. To make matters worse, since I have DDD I need to keep all the "disc material" I have until the disc is replaced or fused. I wish you the very best of luck on your upcoming procedure and recovery, and will certainly say a prayer for you!
  • Hiya Janette, >:D<
    Welcome to Spine Health >:D< Just want you to know we are here for you :) . We are here for you and will help and advise you :? , but we can only give advice based on our personal experiences :? , as we are not qualified physions :) .I had a disctectomy back in 2003 :) , its all explained in my signature :( I was looking forward to the surgery :O , because i was in so much pain :''( , and i was dragging my leg behind me when i walked ~X( , even just to the end of my drive :''( , it hurt so much :''( . I would cry when i walked :''( . So the thought of having this kind of surgery scared me in one sense :S , but on the other hand i was so desparate to get some relief from the pain :''( , i would have tried anything at that stage ~X( .So i had two discs removed and one shaved. I came round from the operation i had pain from the surgery :''( , but i could not feel any siatic pain it had gone :) .So cutting a long story short, 6 months later the pain came back with a vengance :''( . I have been told i have a lump in the spaces where they took the discs, its not life threatening :( . I have been told that i will not have any more surgery , they have said nothing else can be done :S , (i disagree, i think they could remove the lump and do a fusion that would be all my problems sorted) :? . I also need a new knee, i have grade 3 arthritus(this was caused by a piece of cartlidge rubbing inbetween the ball of the knee and the knee socket), but they have said they will not do that until im 55 :O , because there is only a 10 to 15 year life span. They did say it may give way before im 55, if it does they will have to do it. :''( I am having some epidural injections on the 28th november :S . I wake up every morning and my back is in complete spasm :''( , i have siatic pain down my right leg :''( , but they say no more surgery. Oh im under pain management :) . Sorry for waffling.

Angie :H
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you sound excited and ready to go for your procedure. i don't want tho throw in a clinker but have you gotten a second opinion? the more information you have the better. good luck on your upcoming procedure and please let us know how you are. Jenny :)
  • sorry- hit button twice!
  • I have also only had one microD and it was failed. I am glad to hear that yours was such a success and hope that the 2nd will go as well. Good luck and keep us posted.
advertisement