Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chiropractice Care and Steriod Injections

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Has anybody tried chiropractic care or steriod injections?

I was recommended to a chiropractor to see if he felt I would respond to treatment and they also want to do steriod injections.

I have moderate to severe DDD, sciatica, radiculopathy
:??
advertisement

Comments

• I have had Chiropractic care on and off for 20 years now. The worse my DDD got the less effective it became.

Early this year I tried decompression therapy at my chiropractor. They strap you into a machine that pulls you apart. The therapy worked ok for my neck and actually increased my ability to move my head a bit. I have 70-90% motion loss in my neck.

When they did the decompression on my lower back all hell broke loose. Within 2 weeks my legs were giving out on me ( Aggrivated my stenosis ). It took me months before I felt back to normal. No one is ever touching my lower back again.

I have also had cortizone shots in my back over the years. Temporary relief at best.

Nightfall
  • RK85, given that you have sciatica and radiculopathy I would assume that your DDD is lumbar. I also had severe DDD and severe stenosis at L5-S1. I tried chiropractic treatment in the early days and it did not help at all. I also tried decompression therapy at my physical therapist and that also did not help me. However we are all different and just because it did not help me does not mean that it would not help anyone else.

In regard to steroid injections (ESIs) these tend to only offer short to medium term relief and rarely provide long term relief or cure.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I had chiropractic treatment early on for my lumbar spine problems (severe DDD and severe stenosis at L5-S1) but it did not help me at all. I also had regular physiotherapy, including spinal decompression and again that did not help (in fact I used to feel worse afterwards). However, other people have certainly got benefit from these treatments.

Regarding steroid injections generally these only give short to medium term relief at best and rarely give long term relief. Personally, I have no experience with steroid injections in the spinal region.

Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator