Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Refill time

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
:W Hey! Does anyone else dread refill time? I swear almost every month it is a struggle to get my Rx filled. My doc told me to call it in a couple days ahead of time because my pharmacy takes forever. So I do, and wait a day, call to check and they say they are still waiting for authorization. I wait a bit longer, then call the office. They say they have already sent auth. I call back at the pharmacy, and so on and so forth. I feel like I'm being treated like a drug addict at the pharmacy, which my doc says alot of them do to people on narcotics.. It just sucks. Does this happen to anyone else? Thanks for letting me vent, it's just that I am in the middle of this right now...
advertisement

Comments

• In a word - YES. I dread refill time as well. As if being stuck with living a life in pain, you really need to be treated like a drug-addict every time you need a refill is fair. All we can do is hang in there somehow. Nothing would make me happier than to be able to have my back issues corrected, and never need another Rx again as I am sure you do too!!
  • I wish I didn't have to take meds, but what's the alternative, right? I am also annoyed that every time I have to call the Dr's office the same receptionist answers and is so condescending and rude and acts like I am annoying HER. The nurse is nice, but in order to get to talk to her I have to leave a message with the rude lady. I wonder why they don't use voice mail! So hopefully, I will get through to someone and get this thing filled, since I have no more meds (I called it in 2 days early to avoid this very problem). Sometimes they are done right away and other months suck.... Good Luck and thanks for the reply, it's nice to know it's not just me! :W

• Same here Friday is mine, but do to my extra pain(gout) this month I will be out early(doctor approved).I got to call tomorrow and the desk person always reacts weirdly, even 5 months into it now.
  • Seriously! I would love to never have to take another pain pill again! So I waited all day for the RX to be done and I got a call at 4 from the nurse saying that it was on the doc's desk waiting to be authorized and she would tell her if she saw her before the end of the day...I finally tried the pharmacy again at around 6:30 and they still haven't heard back yet. There's a shocker! It will probably be done sometime tomorrow, but I called it in on Monday. That's way to long of a turnaround. Chronic pain sucks! ~X(
  • my pm makes ALL monthly appointments 26-28 days, so i never run out and have Rx in hand on time or early. its tiresome going every month but solves that problem. No refills on schedule II's anyhow.
  • I set some meds aside every month to make sure I can handle any issues that come up. I about 3 weeks or so set back currently. Just in case.

Nightfall
  • They always make me feel like such a seeker. There is always some sort of problem, some sort of warning...something. I even had the doctor write on all the scripts that it is OK to fill them because they are all on time but one but I wanted to get them all on the same fill schedule again. So we'll see how that goes in the morning.

Not looking forward to it - thats for sure!!

I'll put a thousand dollar bill down that they will screw something up.
    Any bidders?
    Alina
  • You are not alone. I hate calling in refills and almost feel embarrassed :( at the pharmacy. No one to be made to feel that way.

Elle

• My doctor came through tonight got my just before the pharmacy closing.Thank goodness too, my last 2 were needed tonight.

I really need to get into a PM clinic soon, Norco's are just barely cutting it and the tylenol is getting heavy.
  • In my PM clinic, I see her every month. No matter what the date is, I get my PAPER prescription.

PROBLEM IS, trying to FIND the dang stuff to fill. You can't start looking early (pharmacists frown on that - oh, and insurance too). But, what I've been getting lately (from "big name pharmacies") is that the get a shipment of medication once a week, and they never know when they get narcotics. Basically, it's a crap shoot.

THAT's where my problem comes in.... At first, things were going smoothly with the pharmacy beginning with C, but seems like after the hurricanes, things have gone to poop.

I can't get an SCS - due to my performance with the psych eval. At least that's the word for now.... I've got an appt coming in a few weeks. Not sure I want the pain pump. Not sure what to do anymore. I do know,however, I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I said all this to say, No, hon - you are NOT alone. In fact, you are NEVER alone because of Spine-Health.com and this forum.

Good luck to you, cher!

Jeaux
    :B
  • They did tell me the pharmacist wanted to talk to me but then handed me the meds and walked away...so maybe she really didnt? I dont know.

But I did notice one thing - my Oxycontin was generic. So looks like the generics are back out there. Does anyone know anything about these...are the the same? Will they work the same?
  • Yes, I too am treated this way at the pharmacy and I am in a very small town. You know what though? I really do not care at all what they think as long as they give me my meds. People that have not experienced chronic pain have no idea what it is like to live with. So, I just ignore their attitudes and do what I must do in order to keep my pain levels down.
  • We moved earlier this year. We were getting our meds filled at a CVS where we used to live with no issues, so since there's a CVS nearby here, I figured I'd just go with them. There was such a difference, and not a good one. I don't pick up my meds, as I'm not well enough to go out. Doctors appointments only these days. My husband picks up my script at my doctors, then takes it to CVS.

The new CVS isn't as accomodating as the other one. I could give a 100 examples, but suffice to say, they have an attitude about narcotics. After one particulary bad experience, I called and asked to speak to the head pharmacist. I gave him a list of examples of mistreatment. I told him that the other CVS we was great, but not this one. I told him that he might want to take look at our CVS account and what we spend in the store. When my husband goes there, at least five times a month, more often than not, I give him a list of items to buy (Health & Beauty, Bengay patches, gift cards, perfume, colgone, foot spray, cards, stamps, even gifts, etc, etc). We spend at least $300 a month there. I shop off their weekly circular.

I told the pharmacist that if we were not treated with respect, that we would take our business to Walgreens, which is down the street. Along with our pharmacy orders, CVS would be losing all the other money we spent there. This conversation took place about six months ago, and we've never had a problem since. I've found that sometimes you have to demand respect.
  • Im right there with you brother. plus the fact theres only one pharmacy walking distance and they suck. convinced my doctor to cut my flexeril in half pisses me off to no end
  • One of my relatives want to file a grievance against a pharmacist for being rude and dismissive. She wants to change, but had signed a contract. I told her to tell the doctor about it, and maybe get permission to go somewhere else.
    I'm known where I go, and I chatted a bit about my back surgeries and have my cane. They know why I take all the medications, and I am treated with respect. It seems no matter what day my appt is, I wind up filling the meds around the same day, give or take. I don't like big, busy pharmacies. I go to one that is small, but I walk in with scripts and I'm out on average of 10 minutes. I like being treated like a person, not just another refill. And definetely not like an addict.
  • Of all places I go to Walmart and even though the place is a complete zoo, when I go to the counter and ask for a refill, they ask me "which one today?" My Lyrica and Valium have caused some short term memory issues and one day I couldn't remember which one I had to fill! I told the pharmacist that it wasn't Skelaxin (that's the only drug name I could come up with :O ), he was looking at my history and said that it looked like it was time for Lyrica. I felt so foolish! And I thanked him for helping me out, I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I wasn't taking those stupid pills. And he was right, that's the one I needed. Which I verified 5 minutes later when I was shopping for other stuff... with my shopping list that said "Lyrica" at the top =))
    Frustrated, but for other reasons,
    Jay
  • Once the patent expires, the chemical formula is released and generics hit the market. They are chemically the same as the name brand. They just don't have that name on them. I've heard a million stories they're different, but that is NOT the case. In some cases pharmacies will fill generic unless you ask for name brand, in other cases a pharmacy may fill name brand unless you ask for generic. You have the right to ask for either unless the doctor specifically says one or the other.
    Jay
  • i filled an rx for oxycontin at walgreens 2 days ago. i never felt so humiliated. i'm still shaking. i've had no life in 10 years, since pain began. when the clerk took the script to the pharmacist, they began snickering. i cannot sit nor stand longer than 5 minutes without pain. i politely asked how long it would take. the pharmacist yelled at me to sit down. i sat for 2 minutes and then tried to ask again, but i never got the chance to explain that i wanted to pick up the meds the next day if it was going to be a half an hour.

i just went through a very traumatic break-up and was dumped off at my parents after moving to ca. i had told my 'fiance' that i had chronic pain and that moving was the worst thing for me. he said he would take care of me. well, the house was filled with black widows and filth and instead of resting like i needed, i was forced to fill holes in the walls, etc... i was bit on the knee the first week. then we were evacuated due to a fire. long story short, he was the kind of guy that wanted to be seen as nice, so instead of telling me that it wasn't working out due to my 'limitations'--he had mentioned a couple of times that he wanted someone that could sit and listen to music at bars for a few hours and he knew that i couldn't do that before i moved--so he did the worst thing he could do.

it probably sounds crazy. i am so ashamed, but i have contacted attorneys and now the anger at him has turned inward. when i asked him what he had decided to do about us since he was lying about his ex-wife all the time, he said he didn't think it would work due to my pain. that would have been okay with me, but it didn't stop there. instead, he got angry, like he was angry that i had pain, like it was my fault that i had disappointed him. he pushed me when he was leaving the room. i said 'how dare you' and tried to slap him. i guess i did exactly what he wanted, even though i missed, as he called 911 and lied ot the police, told them that i was on narcotics and neglected to tell them that he had been drinking. when they questioned us, his ten-year-old daughter was there, and i told the police that i didn't remember whether he had shoved me with two hands, etc. when the cop questioning me left, i overheard him telling the other cop that i had 'hit' him. he used the word hit again and again. i was in bed resting, mind you, when he came in to talk. i'm pretty thin 5'7 and 112 pounds and he's 6 ft and 200. i've never hit anyone. but i had survived a domestic abusive marriage--which i believe caused the chronic pain in the first place--and swore that no one would ever physically abuse me again. hence, i did react by saying 'how dare you' and trying to slap him, like katherine hepburn would.
    well, they handcuffed me, since he told them i was on narcotics. i still have nightmares and have not gotten over the feeling of filth and criminal that spending 6 hours in jail left me. he posted bail and the next days were a haze. i think i went crazy. i already have post-trauma-stress disorder and all of a sudden my surviving domestic abuse turned into me being an abuser. i kept telling him to build a time machine so i could forget. i still can't stop obsessing about it.

the worst part was that i had two great doctors. a pain therapist and a pain doctor who actually spent a lot of time with me telling me that when someone is in a state of anxiety and panic, the chemicals in the body go nuts and no amt. of pain medicine will make the pain go away. it made sense. i didn't believe that my fiance would do it, but he told me to leave after i had just moved into the main house with him 5 days prior, after awakening with about 800 ants crawling all over me and in my bed. i had been living in the guesthouse because the ex-wife calling constantly was hard to deal with.

anyway, this is a long story, i know, and i'm getting to why the pharmacy thing was so distressing. i'm feeling very suicidal at this point. i'm sorry. my ex-fiance had written a letter to the DA telling most of the truth, that he didn't tell police that he had been drinking, that he wasn't hurt, that i had attempted to slap him inself-defense after he had pushed me, and that he called 911 because he wanted to teach me a lesson. he said that twice. i still don't know what the lesson was.

maybe he thought that his admission, which he wrote the day after would get him in trouble, but suddenly he told me that i had to leave. i was already suicidal from being in jail and falsely accused. he put a tow on his truck and put my car on it. i went into denial. i kept saying, you're not going to just drive me to my parents in nv. i was literally on my knees begging him for mercy, telling him that i needed time to think, that i didn't have a doctor in nv anymore as i had left. and i had thought that with the therapist and bio-feedback and the new doctors i could maybe have a semblance of a life.

my ex didn't say anything. the next morning, he started stuffing my stuff in the truck roughly until i started getting scared and helping so things wouldn't break. i kept begging for him to take me to a hospital so i could think, as i was still in shock from being falsely arrested. they had not rejected the charges as yet, and i wish i had been thinking more clearly as i would've known that he had confessed that he pushed me first and that i hadn't even slapped him, but only tried in response. but i was too scared and shocked. he told me that if i didn't go to nv, he would get me in more trouble. after him lying to the police once, i was really scared. the thought of being in jail without a temperpedic bed and all the other acoutrements i need for pain was too scary. so i got in the car and was in unbearable pain for 7 hours drive and was dumped at my 80 year old parents' home like unwanted trash.

ever since, i have been to 5 pain mgt. doctors and none of them want me. no one wants to help. i guess it was bad timing. my general practitioner, who i went to after the pain clinic that i had been a patient of -- on and off -- since 2002, left a message saying they would not treat me anymore and to see my general practitioner. i am on a large dose of pain meds and had been on the same amt. for over 2 years. 240 mg. of oxycontin, along with breakthrough meds.

the pain doctors i went to were in shock. i cannot get my old pain doctor to call me back and give me a reason for why they refused to see me anymore. and the trauma of what my ex-fiance did is still causing me horrible nightmares and anxiety which makes the pain worse.

two doctors didn't even bill me, one of which argued with me with the whole 'i have a family to support and can't afford to lose my license' thing. he told me to pretend that i'd never come in as he was 'damned if he treated me and damned if he didn't' he also shoved a newspaper article in my face about my general practitioner, who is being investigated for over-prescribing. this was the first time i had been prescribed narcotics from him, though.

but i am black-listed now. every page of my pain mgt. records says that this dr. is my primary care. i don't know where to go anymore. i feel like trash. and the pain just gets worse. i look in the mirror and i swear i've aged 10 years in the past 3 months. i can't believe that months ago i truly believed that i would soon be managing my pain and have a functional life instead of being bedridden daily. i can't even do the things i used to do like write or paint.

so the other day, i go to walgreens to fill a prescription from the doctor being investigated and was treated like i was a criminal. i can't take it anymore.

i am now terrorized at the thought of even seeing another pain mgt. doctor. since i can't drive longer than 10 minutes, my old mother needs to drive me to the clinics on the other side of town and she was even humiliated. i leave in tears every time.

i'm at my wits end. i've had no life due to pain for 11 years, lost my ability to have children and now i can't find a doctor. i even asked one, who refused to rx meds, if he could just do injections or whatever so the pain would get better. i realized that my old pain mgt. clinic wasn't interested in injections or other treatments after the first 3 steroid, which didn't work. i never saw the dr., just he physician's assistant. in march, i had asked to try to taper off the meds as i was down to lvl 4- 5 and i wanted to get off of them. i didn't do well, as the drop of 80 mg. caused the pain to rise immensely, but i was doing find on the medicine i was on and thought i could just do it slower, maybe 10 mg. a month or so.

i don't know what to do. i keep telling myself that i have to keep trying to get a doctor. i make all these appts. and then i don't go because i'm too afraid. i'm too afraid to go into a hospital. i think they would keep me in due to my desire to die, even though i am giving myself a year to find some help with the pain before i do that. i don't want to die. i want to live. i just don't have a life at all right now, and the way my ex-fiance treated me was so horribly traumatic that i cannot seem to crawl out of the pit of anxiety and panic and fear and self-loathing.

and now even the pharmacists are looking at me funny. i have an rx for 30 mg. oxycodone which i was going to use to see if i could self-taper as i am so afraid to tell doctors what i am on, even though i am legal and being prescribed and have been on the same for 2.5 years, and before that methadone and a slew of anti-depressants, etc., but i'm too afraid to go to a pharmacy now.

i think that my parents would be relieved if i die. i haven't seen any of my friends who are scattered all over the country because i can't travel and i don't want them to remember me like i am now. i used to love life so much. i don't know what to do.

i learned 5 months ago that my stress and depression affects my pain levels quite a bit. but how do you fix it if the pain is causing the depression. i went to a shrink and he told me that he couldn't help me either. he said it sounds like the pain is causing my depression and anxiety and it doesn't sound like a chemical imbalance.

what do i do now that doctors don't want me. i feel like trash. i even told them i hate being on meds. but i spend almost all day in bed, save for stretching exercises i force myself to do. 8 years ago, i was a yoga teacher. i want a life back. this isn't living.

and i feel like a criminal now, and the stigma of being on pain meds is even worse due to my ex-fiance lying to the police and making me sound like some sort of violent person, when i'm not. i don't even eat animals because i don't want to cause harm to anyone. i think he just didn't want people to think he was dumping me because i was in pain, since his friends knew that, so he had to make me look like a criminal. i know he was wrong and it was abusive, but i can't stop that little voice telling me that i'm just not enough anymore. i'm broken. and like a broken toy, no one wants me. not even doctors.

i have another appt. on the 7th of november with a pain doctor and probably should get another primary care physician, but i'm too afraid.

and i'm afraid that if another doctor tells me that he or she doesn't want me as a patient again that it will be too much to bear.

how much more can i take.

i wish that i wasn't on pain meds, but i have no idea what to do. i wish i would have known more in the begining. i guess i should have researched more, but after my divorce, and a few surgeries--lost my uterus and ovaries as the gyns thought nerve pain in sacral area was due to enlarged uterus--they sent me to pain mgt.

when i moved to nv, i went to a pain mgt. clinic. well, the doctor was greedy, i guess, but vision in restrospect is always 20/20. i was on 10 mg. 2x a day of vicodin and he put me on 30 mg. of methadone and told me it was a 'baby dose'. i now know that was an incredible leap. when i told him that i was sleeping all the time, he put me on 80 mg of oxycontin. every two years, it seemed, my tolerance would go up and eventually i got to 240 mg., which is a huge amt., i know, ,enough to scare all teh doctors away and enough to make me an unwanted patient.

if i could find a doctor to deal with the pain, i would happily go to a detox to get off the pain meds. but the sacral pain gets intolerable. i don't know what to do.

if anyone has any suggestions or knows of a doctor in the henderson area of nv, near las vegas, pm me please. a neurologist would be fine.

i'm giving myself a year. technology keeps improving and although the pain mgt. physician's assitant told me that if someone were to deaden the nerves where it hurts completely, that i would have phantom pain. how does he know for sure? i want to try anything and everything i can.

i just don't know how tofind a doctor anymore and am scared tto be turned away. i'm panicked now. i've never felt more unwanted.

the experience at walgreens' was the last straw. i filed a complaint but what's the use. i'm too afraid to even talk to them in person on the phone. i'm just too scared now.

i probably should put this somewhere else. i'm afraid that i will scare all you away too. i don't know where to go or who to turn to anymore.

thanks for reading.
  • Just wanted to stop by and say I was sorry that alot of you get treated with disrespect. That to me is discrimination.
    I'v been with the same pharmacy for years.
    Only once out of 6yrs they have said to hubby she is going through them way to fast. Hubby came back and said "did you just have neck surgery" and left it at that. No not going through them to fast I take the daily amount on the bottle.

When I was in pain managment and the DR would change my script I would have a list of pharmacies to call before I even dropped it off. Saved alot of hassle. For example someplace big like Walmart they only get shipments once a week. So for long acting meds they don't carry alot due to breakins, thef etc they explained.
    But in my small town pharmacy they call in the order that day or the next depending on what time it is. My scripts are either from my pcp, ortho or hospital so things go smoothly. I go to Rite Aid. I imagine you all have them somewhere around you. Mabye not.
    Plus one of the techs we have known for years always ask whats wrong with her now? LOL Not in a a mean way, just because I have endured so much.

Please guys don't feel embarressed about refill time. PM's are the way to go to get a script in hand every month if your able to do it that way. The dr would not be writing the scripts if you did not need them.
    I know some PCP's get frustrated as they feel as though they can only write them for so long. Then of course you get the line of the DEA checking in on them. Well if they have a valid reason for writing and there are tests that conclude your pain in their files. They have NOTHING to worry about gheesh thats the one that gets me the most.

I know calling is a pain . I have to do it tomorrow. Dr. thinks I should be tapered down to Lortabs which I want in a way. But with the issue now My back still hurts the same as before surgery because of lack of blood flow. But in another way I want proper pain control after my next major surgery. So I am in a catch 22 for tomorrow.
    But never ever embarresed about calling. I have the same secretary all the time. HUGE practice. Then she hands the message to the PA, and they call me back by the end of the day.
    Their limit is calling in a 5 day supply of percocets then mailing me the rest. Great deal in my eyes. And nice of them to do.
    Anyways I am ranting. LOL What else is new right =))
    Ya'all hang in there. Find that right pharmacy and stick with them. They have no right to dis anyone , make faces or talk while your there. They can get into some huge red tape with that issue. #o

Ya all take care and I hope this issue resolves for alot of you.

Terri >:D< >:D< O:) O:) O:)
advertisement