Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Flu, Colds and Chronic Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Chronic Pain
How do you all deal with flu's/colds in conjunction with chronic pain?

Last time I had the flu I ended up in ER with a morphine Drip. Hacking and coughing spasms don't go well with back pain. I really thought I was going to die. It was bad.

My wife has been sick for 2 weeks now and I have yet to catch it. If I catch it I know whats coming.

Nightfall
advertisement

Comments

• 2 weeks, that's a long time to be sick....vitamin C and maybe a Zithromax pak will get her over it.I know what you mean about getting sick when you already feel like CR*P all the time. I started getting a flu shot, and really watching things when flu and cold season rolls around. I take ester-C and keep lots of orange juice in the house. I also have a hot tub for the aches and pains. I hope you and your wife both feel better. Take Care
    Sagehen
  • Sorry to hear that your wife has been sick for so long. I hope that you are able to keep from catching it. If you don't already take vit c, it might do you some good to take it to help keep it at bay.
    Really the only thing you can do if you get sick is to go see your doctor to get medicine as soon as you feel like you may be getting sick or at onset of sickness. You can be treated for the symptoms or with antibiotics to help relieve yourself from the coughing and sneezing. Also, try cough medicine and allergy medicine (OTC meds) to treat symptoms. It might help. Mostly, you just have to grin and bear it! ">image Above all, take good care of yourself... you're the only you there is!!
  • Couging and especially sneezing do not go well with lower back pain and spasms. Seriously there is probably not much you can do except try to keep your muscles loose and kill the sickness as quick as possible probably with a doctor visit as soon as you think you are sick. I believe valium is the best drug for spasm's and a tight back that I have tried.
  • Colds and flus are usually viral, therefore antibiotics don't usually work. You can also lessen the effect they have by taking them when your body doesn't use them.

The best thing I have found is Cold FX (talk to your Dr before taking). This is an herbal prevenative, one pill twice per day, and when you feel a cold or flu, 3 pillsx2 for one day, 2 pills x2, for one day, then back to 1 pill x2 a day.

When the cold sets in, the best cough syrup I have found is with codine. It is available OTC, you just have to register with the phamasist. My Dr says it's the best thing for lungs. I've had pnemonia 5 times in 2 years and I swear by it. Again, talk to your Dr first.
  • I haven't heard of an OTC cough med that you can get without a script! WOW! That sounds exciting! Where can you find it? Are you in the US?
  • No, I'm in Canada. Usually we Canadians seem to be 5 years behind the US so I would guess that it is down there. Ask your pharasist. It is by far the best thing for a cold, codine can really help the lungs.
  • Thanks for the great advice. My wife hit the doc today and got a zpack and some cough medicine. I still don't have it and with a bit of luck I won't. time to break out the vitamin C.

As for codiene cough syrup. last time I saw that over the counter was in germany a long time ago.

Nightfall
  • I take Bee Pollen (1 tablespon a day)and Bee Royal Jelly (I teaspoon a Day) stirred into Yoghurt(or whatever you like) every Morning.It is supposed to strengthen the Immune system
    and i think,since it comes form Bees,it cannot do harm,unless you are ,of course,allergic to Bees.You might want to try this.
  • Whole head completely stuffed, can't sleep due to non-stop coughing (lungs feel like they've got the most amount of crud in them I've ever had; interesting colors coming up too! :S Can't believe how easily I can gross out my BOYS, even the oldest who's 15, merely by showing them just how "pretty" it is!!! *evil giggle* ;) ) and inability to breathe thru my nose/sinus pain. Both ears hurt, throat is swollen all the way to the back of the jaw on both sides, nose sore from trying to blow it, throat very raw from all the coughing...ya'll know how it goes.

Usually I get excellent results from Mucinex, but it's not touching it this time. The good thing is that I have an appt with my PM Doc today to fill out my disability rating papers for soc sec appeal. Bad thing is I'm not sure if he'll be willing to write me for anything (I've had great luck with the z-pak in the past for bronchitis and sinus infections so hoping for that) for this stuff or not, and if not my PCP doesn't work on Mondays so I'll hafta wait till Tues to try and get seen. It's been 9 days now and not even the slightest bit of improvement. I've never had pneumonia *knock on wood* but wonder if I'm not headed in that direction. I've listened to the lungs of pneumonia patients in my job, and today I put my stethoscope up to my own chest and listened and it doesn't sound very good. And ya'll aren't kidding when you talk about the increase in back pain/spasms from all the coughing! Holy cow it hurts! :< Last night I woke my middle son up several times from coughing my fool head off.

I honestly don't remember the last time I've been this sick (aside from the viral meningitis 5 years ago but obviously they're completely different things).

I can't offer much in the way of suggestions for others on this topic cause obviously I haven't found any yet myself (other than the Mucinex which usually works very well at getting all the crud out-no idea why it's not working for me this time but anyone that hasn't tried it really should if it's OK with your docs)-however, if I find something that helps I'll surely come back here and post it for anyone else that may end up with this crud! I've got a feeling it's gonna be a l-o-n-g winter! /:)

Speaking of which...first snowflakes of the season are falling here as I type this....UGH!

Take good care all...back pain stinks, but it stinks a lot more when you're coughing/sneezing/stuffed up, etc. so keep up on those vitamins!
  • sanwarn said:
    mexican zithromax is a prescribed antibiotic that is approved to treat a various infections. generic zithromax is part of a group of antibiotics known as macrolides. The recommended antibiotic
    canadian zithromax is applied for the treatment of more than a few general infections, like sexually transmitted diseases and bacterial infections. You can buy zithromax in either liquid suspension or tablet form and is approved for apply in equally adults and children. cheapest zithromax works through discontinue the development of bacteria.

This member is Spamming the daylights out of the forums while the Mods are asleep.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    whether it be flu a type of cold or something else. It always seems to go to the weakest part of your body. For me , it's my lumbar back. And it always seems to make the pains much worse. And I believe also a longer recovery period. Like it just settles in there.
    I get the flu shot every year, but there is always a new strain that wasn't covered.
    And I seem to get sick more since I had my surgeries and got older.
    It was very rare that I got anything when I was younger. And before my surgeries. It's a mystery and the cure is elusive. I take vitamins and such by the hand fulls. And still seem to get most of the things that are going around.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • my pain increases big time .i think that if you have any weakness it will be affected when you are under attack from a cold or flu .just rest and drink plenty
    STRAKER
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.