Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6month check up with the surgeon

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
:H Well i had my six month check two days ago.i've had a lot of trouble with my balance the last two months,actually fell down once because of it.I told my surgeon what had happened with that and he did some balance tests of his own. The tandem walking really brought out the imbalance,i found it extremely difficult to do.At this point he's not sure what's causing it still.i did have it before the operation as well,after it my balance had started to get better and then has regressed.He's guessing that i'm taxing my body too much and that's what's causing it.Also he checked and rechecked my reflexes and there is still cord signal interruption at C6-7 and another level but he didn't mention which one.My reflexes are still hyper but not as bad as they were. I do phsyical therapy twice a week to rebuild my muscle strength upper and lower extremeties,but in some of the muscles the strengthening is going much slower.He has suggested that i do some swimming to help with my muscles and balance issues on top of doing the therapy and the therapy he wants me doing more of. 8} I talked to my therapist about it and he told me that if i want to join the Y to do the swimming then he will go there with me and set up a program to do.I would be exercising six days a week but for shorter time periods so that i don't burn myself out.He told me that if i stay at his clinic and do what the surgeon wants me to ,i'd be there every day and it would end up costing me a fortune.He said if i want to do that then i could see him there twice a month to modify my program and have him help me with any problems that come up. 8} sometimes i feel like my life just consists of exercising.I'm not sure if i'm going to do this yet but i am considering it.I'm just not sure that i'm up for the challenge,it sounds like so much to do.My therapist told me that i can't approach a neurologicl problem the same way as an orthopedic one.Its a totally different therapy path and if i did it orthopedically i would burn myself out and i would start injuring my muscles and end up with tear everywhere.Ah yes and the hits just keep on coming.LOL :))(
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Tammy,
    So did he suggest any further testing? Will you be going back to see him again for another follow up appointment?

As far as the PT and exercising, I was doing PT every day at home and just going to see the PT once every other week. When I started PT, I did the exercises three times/day, every day. Once we got past the stretching to get back my ROM back, we moved to stregthening. Then I was doing the new exercises once every day plus continued with the ROM exercising (but only once daily). Then I started with the pilates/yoga classes...seeing the trainer only once a week, but adding yoga to my home routines of PT exercises. I also walked 20-30 minutes per day or used the elipitcal and stationery bike for 20 minutes. Aside from a six week break from the exercises this summer (after having laproscopic surgery), I continue to exercise each week...once with the personal trainer, once in a strength training class, and then at home 3 more days/week. I don't do the ROM exercises very often anymore, but I should to keep the muscles properly stretched. No, it really doesn't end. Maybe I'm just obsessed with it....I don't know.... but I just don't want to go through this again so I do whatever it is they tell me to....but I'm glad they didn't tell me to swim cuz that I probably wouldn't do that. :D

Good Luck Tammy...be strong, keep it up, because you need to!!!!! =D>
  • When i first started back at therapy he showed me a few stretches but i already knew most of them from before the surgery so we didn't spend a great amount of time on that.He was focusing mainly on my balance exercises which i did every couple of hours at home and he slowly worked me up on the strength training.When i first went in i was only working for ten or fifteen min. now i'm up to two hours but thats over a period of four months. I do therapy twice a week and have had many adjustments to my exericses,having smaller issues to contend with as well LOL :))( I also do the exercise bike and eliptical trainer,and i walk the stairs at our local baseball stadium and if the weather is nice i walk for an hour outside.The days that i'm not at therapy i do most of the same exercises at home.The trouble with the strength training is that i'm constantly behind at home cause i'm always having to go out and buy new weights.Once i passed five pds.i had difficulty trying to find weights for my ankles. No one around our area sells ten pd. weights so i end up with three different size weights on my legs and its a pain trying to keep them on.
    He said that he's gonna do another mri and more x-rays but there supposed to call me about that ,i don't know when yet. Right now i think he's basically guessing as to why my balance is still messed up. He did tell me that it could take another year and a half to two years for me to reach my optimum ,he just said that as time goes by it would progress at a slower rate. Its the first time in a long time that i've heard a doc. say that nothing progresses passed a year. /:) I was told prior to surgery that i would have lasting problems afterwards i just hope that my balance isn't one of them.My friend wanted me to go to yoga classes with her so we could spend some time together but i wouldn't attempt that yet not the way i am when i try to balance myself.
    The surgeon is the one who wants me at physio so much,he wanted me there every day and thats why my therapist suggested setting me up at the Y when he found out that i'm supposed to swim.I can still do what i need to at therapy and it will be much cheaper there.He said he will see me twice a month to change my routine,he also has a clinic out there and is there twice a week so if i have any trouble i can always ask him. =D>
    I can't say that i wasn't depressed after seeing the surgeon for my check up i wanted it to be better then it was but i'm finally starting to come out of the slump that i was in last week and feeling better.I've found a few friends that say they will go to the gym to exercise with me.its so much more fun when you don't do it alone!
  • Wow...way ahead of me when I was at 6 months post-op. I wasn't using weights at all then.

Good to hear that he's going to do another MRI.

Take care!
  • yup thats what the surgeon asked for when i started therapy,it was balance training,gait retraining,and muscle strengthening. i started lifting weights as soon as i started therapy at two months post op
    :D
advertisement