Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is this normal?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a cervical fusion done yesterday (c4-6). I was discharged today. I just noticed some discharge on the bandage covering the incision for the wound pump...I took it off and it still looks like part of the tubing is in my neck. Is that supposed to be there? I called the nurse but only got voicemail and I'm still waiting for a call back.
advertisement

Comments

• Sarah, is this tubing very small? Could it be a suture? The wound drain is generally held with a suture that they remove when they pull the drain. Occassionally they might leave it on purpose or by accident. Did they give you any wound care instructions? The actual drain tube is usually about as big around as a laptop cord, or bigger. It is all one system and shouldn't break off when they pull it out. Hopefully the nurse will call soon. >:D< Sue
  • It's very small and round and white and looks like a piece of tubing...like it has an opening in it. I called the after hours number and the dr is going to call back. It's probably nothing but I don't want to take a chance.
  • i think it can't be the drain. it takes excessive force to break a drain . i am an RN and i have pulled out lots. i have never heard of one breaking.
    u may still have a small open area that will continue to ooze. especially if they pulled the drain out to soon. i would just change the dressing as needed.
    the above quote re suture may be possible. but they would have had to cut the suture to release the tubing in order to pull it out.
    hope this helps
  • The dr just called back.....it wasn't the tubing....it was one of the steristrips that got all rolled up and just happened to be stuck over the drain hole. I feel like an idiot but at least I won't be worrying about it all night. Thanks a lot everyone for all your input. it's great to have a forum like this to post in.
  • It's always better to be safe than sorry. Glad you were able to get that cleared up so you can relax and press onward with healing.

"C"
  • Just read through. So glad the dr got back to you and your calm now. I could understand how "strange" that must of been looking at.
    Yeah those tubes are tuffies thats for sure.
    The drainage I had to on the bandage the first time I took it off.
    I used to change the bandage everyday. The first few days there was a little bit of "gunk" from the steri strips.
    Also at the point of my surgery I had no clue "yes me" so be quiet all :$ :$ :$ :D
    what the little black thing was on my neck. It of course was the stitch they leave on the outside from sewing on the inside. They clipped that off at my post op checkup.

Like "C" said always better safe then sorry!! No post op question is ever crazy.

Good luck in your recovery!!!
    Terri O:) O:)
advertisement