Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Well the 28th cometh

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Here we go again on the 28th, c4 through c7 posterior fusion with the rods and screws. I am dreading it. I feel sick about it I am dreading it so bad. What can I expect from this one?
advertisement

Comments

• We all have problems I know but man don't ya wish you could wake up one morning and be in the health you were at 19?
  • hey demetrius
    i had c1 c2 fusion posterior sept 09. to be honest the first ten days i hurt like hell. i was on dilaudid every four hours. the burning pain was awful. after 2 weeks the pain subsided.
    be sure to have a stool softner or laxative ready because u will use lots of meds for pain. keep your laptop at your side. get lots of books to read. u will also develop a regular tv schedule.
    the worst part for me is wearing this cerivcal collar. i see my surgeon again on oct 30 and i hope to loose it then.
    good luck
    u have good support here too.
  • So sorry you have to go thru surgery! I TOTALLY wish I could have the body and health I had at 19 and know what I know now! So many things I could have done better, and even prevented. But, heck--I'm probably one that would make the same mistakes over again. I haven't had surgery on my neck problems yet. So, the only advice I can offer is to stay tough. I know you have been thru a lot. Good luck, and keep us posted!---Mazy
  • No way! I wouldn't want to go through all the emotional turmoil of romances and breakups and school and trying to be grownup but still feeling like a kid. Now if I could have the knowledge I have now and put it with the body I had then...that would be perfect, and my clothes would look a lot better on me. :))(

Demetrius, the posterior surgery does hurt, I can't sugar coat it. But just take it a day at a time and you will get through it. You'll want to follow your doctor's instructions closely. Overdoing it will cause some pretty intense spasming across your shoulders, so just be careful and let someone else do your work. I wish you well, and welcome to the club! I'm surprised at how many of us have the posterior rods and screws.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I can honestly say that my recovery was nothing compared to the way i was living before my surgery. It is painful but i had more pain prior to having it. You'll do great not to worry.Everyone starts to freak just before surgery ,but just know that you have a good surgeon and he's going to do his best for you. Good Luck!!!
advertisement