Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Central disc bulge?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello,

I used to post on here in '07 before and after having a Discectomy on L5/S1 but I forgot my username and password so created a new one.

Anyhow, I recovered well from my surgery and became very active again (running, biking, rock and ice climbing)

But, all along I've been having tingling in my fingers (both hands) which has been intermittant and I just ignored it hoping it would go away. Of course it didn't go away. Now I have pain in elbow and forearm in left arm, pain in both triceps, burning shoulders, a neck that feels as though it isn't sitting on my head properly. Also have muscle weakness in my left arm. And some numbness/tingling in both feet. All my symptoms are intermittant and come and go, never painful enough to take painkillers unless I want to do something strenuous such as go climbing.

My Doc thinks I have probs with Cervical Disc (possibly C5/6) and has booked me in for Physio and an MRI. He thinks that because I have bilateral symptoms that my disc bulge will be a central disc bulge (as opposed to a lateral rupture which is what I had in L5/S1)

I forgot to ask what this means. Does a central disc bulge, impinge onto the spinal cord? Or onto the nerve roots? Or can it do either?
Anyone know?

advertisement

Comments

• Hi there! :H

I am not a medical professional so can only share from my experience. For almost two years I've been experiencing worsening pain in my left arm, tingling in my fingers, pain in my shoulder blade area. It has gotten worse with the same symptoms on my right arm. I can't say I have had any leg symptoms that are particularly noticeable yet.

I had an MRI in June and was diagnosed with DDD, central canal stenosis, disc bulging at the C5-C6 level and bone spurs at the same level. The disc bulge is impinging on the C6 nerve root. My Neurosurgeon had a C6 nerve root bloc done to verify this. The test was positive.

From some of your symptoms it sounds like you could have the same thing going on as I do causing the tingling in your fingers and arm pain.

This is just my opinion based on what you have shared. I do think your doctor is heading in the right direction with the diagnostic tests he is ordering.

Regards,

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • If there are nerve issues would it show on the MRI?
  • Thanks for the replies.

Ken Grey Eagle, I wonder if your symptoms are bilateral because of the Stenosis or because of the Disc Bulge?

Do you know if your disc bulge is central or lateral? This is what I am keen to find out, how exactly does a central disc bulge differ from one that bulges/herniates posteriorly/laterally.