Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Shoes at 7 weeks?

HaylieCatOwnerHHaylieCatOwner Posts: 117
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 7 weeks post-op from my MicroD and wondering if I can wear any heel at all or should I stick with the completely flat shoe? I have a formal presentation next Thursday and would like to wear a 1 inch or 1 and 1/2 inch pump instead of the ballet flats I've been stuck wearing. Has anyone gone back to wearing pumps this soon after surgery?

Thanks,

Haylie
advertisement

Comments

• I had a TLIF, but I was able to wear about a one-inch heel after a couple of months. Not for long...just long enough to go to church. As long as you feel comfortable and STABLE in the shoes you wear, I think you'll be okay.
  • Hmmm I just raised this with my physio today and he was pretty anti me wearing any heel at all until I am much stronger. Even after my first microdiscectomy I didn't wear heels for about 3 months.

Seriously I would always err on the side of caution. Better to wear flats and be safe rather than wear heels and do yourself some damage and regret it - especially at only 7 weeks - your body really isn't healed from the surgery yet let alone putting the discs under stress.

Take care

N
  • Thank you for passing on what your physio said and for your advice about this. I was really tempted to try some type of heel, but I can't argue with better safe than sorry. I'll stick with flats. Incidentally, when did your physio think it would be okay to wear heels?

You said "Even after my first microdisectomy..." Does that mean it was necessary for you to have another one? I hope your recovery is going well.

Hugs,

Haylie
  • Hi haylie

My spinal rehab physio and my chronic pain physio both said if I was going to wear heels then it was something they would build me up to so I could learn how to deal with the differences they make to the way you stand, walk etc. Heels put pressure and stress on the back and the discs in particular.

Yes unfortunately I had to have a revision microdiscectomy this year - feel free to PM me if you want to chat - I won't bore everyone here with the details etc!

Hope you are doing well

N
  • there are some nice small wedges out there that are supportive and fine for the back. Look for a really good orthopedic shoe store in your area. No stelletos but at least shoes with a little pizzaz. Ballet flats do not offer much arch support and I have heard a wee bit of shock absorbing heel is good such as keen or merrell or Born for example. Remember, 1 hour of good looks is not worth risking your back. Good luck!
  • I never had a problem after my MicroD. Nor my fusion.
  • My personal opinion is no heel is good for any spine. I've read this in so many articles.
    Whether there are spine issues or not.
    1-1/2 inch yeah. Going up to 3 inches well :S :S

I wore a 2 and 1/2 inch 6 months after my fusion to a party and whew did I feel it that night and even the next day.

So basically its going to depend on the person, the spine issue and building up a tolerance to wearing them.

At seven weeks, I would still stick to flats. But that is just me.

At this point I would love to get dressed up and wear a nice leopard print but hey <:P =))
  • If you really need to wear them, I would only put them on for the presentation and then switch back to flats.

Personally at 7 weeks post op, I wouldn't do it but I know everyone feels differently.

Good luck on the presentation!
advertisement