Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Timing on Meds

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
:H Hi everyone!

I'm kind of wondering how important it is to take my narcotic meds on time. I just am not able to do so. I take my morphine 15mg every 12 hours. Usually I'll take it 9 pm at night and 9 pm in the morning. Often I'll not get around to it until 10 or 11 in the morning. Then I might take the next does anytime between 9 and 11 at night.

I am supposed to take my Vicodin 3x a day as needed (I think that's what it says). Sometimes I'll take it 9 in the morning, the 5:30 in the evening and at bedtime. Bedtime for me is any time between midnight and 2 in the morning.

I have noticed since I started on this two months ago that now my pain is not as well controlled. I experience pain pretty severe in my left and right arms, with tingling in my fingers. I am having cervical spine surgery sometime in the next month and a half.

Would being precise on timing of taking the meds help with the pain management more? What are your experiences?
I also take Lyrica 100 mg 3x a day.

Ken GreyEagle
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

• Hi, :H
    Totally agreed with Paul.
    It may just not be working for you. Our bodies get used to some meds and they just don't do the job.

Mabye your dose needs to be changed or just the med in general. 15 mg is a low dose. Mabye he will change the vicodin to more a day. I was allowed before and after surgery up to 12 a day. (that was percocet after) before surgery 5mg lortab it was 1-2 tabs every 4-6 hrs max I seriously cannot remember , the old bottle is upstairs. That might help ya to increasing that medication.
    So that you have proper pain control after surgery.
    I learned the hard way but this was after surgery.
    I was holding off to actually see what my pain level was or I felt the need not to take my percocet.
    Now I am back to taking it no matter what. Cause I know at one point or another whew that pain kicked in.

I also loved the patch. The only downfall is I had alot of itching. I did not break out or nothing. I was always itching around the patch lol
    But I have sensitive skin in certain areas.
    (Ok all of ya keep your minds where the belong on that phrase) =)) =))

Talk to your dr. He may want to change it he may not.
    Does it work out ok taking the 12 hr med and the vicodin 3x's a day??? Meaning sticking to that schedule. Whether you need it or not.
    Personally morphine did NOTTA for me for pain control. Not even in IV form. Goes to show ya how we are all different in how we react.
    You will feel so much better when surgery is done and over with. Especially with that numbing/tingling feeling!!!
    Anyway surgery can be upped earlier???
    Just curious. I had mine in 2 weeks after my MRI results.
    Or does that just not work in your schedule right now??

If I do not make sence don't mind me I have alot on my mind and just had to take 12.5 mg of percocet for my pain 8} 8} 8} 8} 8}

Hang in there Ken, it does get better!! And we are here for ya anytime as you know!!!
    Try to enjoy your weekend
    Terri O:)
  • Thanks for your replies! Yeah, I don't know if its a matter of increasing dosages on current meds or changing meds altogether. My DO had told me last time I saw him he was going to decrease my Vicodin dosages and increase the amount of morphine I take a day. So far he hasn't done that.

Well, my next appointment with my neuro surgeon is Nov 4th. I am hoping on that date he will finally tell me which surgery he is doing. I imagine he will want some preliminary blood, urine and possibly EKG tests done prior to surgery. This is because I'm 56 yrs old, have diabetes and hypertension. I don't think his scheduler will give me the surgery date on the spot. They'd need to coordinate scheduling with the OR staff too.

I sure would like to get this done with. I don't know if its going to be a 1 or more level ACDF and/or foraminotomy. He had mentioned the latter as a possiblity. I'll find out hopefully on Nov 4th.

If the pain gets to the level I feel I must have a change in the meds I'll go to my spine doctor right away. I do know that if I skip a dose altogether pain does go up noticeabley.

Thanks again!,

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • with the others. You will be much better off trying to take your meds on time. I am on methadone which builds up in your system and has an extremely long half life so you would not think that the timing matters but it does. If I forget to take a dose on time (12 hour intervals) I pay dearly for it with an increase in pain. not usually right away but within 48 hours. It is weird, I know but very important for pain control to take it as close to 12 hours intervals as possible. lots of docs would rather that you take more of the ER drugs than the fast acting. that may be why he wants to decrease vicodin and increase morphine. The opiates do less damage to your organs. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.

• Ken,

I have only had short acting meds so far, so my experience is lacking in long acting ones which would help me a great deal.But, I due know that chasing pain leads to inadequate relief and more often results in taking more than normal at times(Not implying you do whatsoever).I have a schedule even w/ my norcos, I take every 4/6 hrs daily (4x/5x presently due to gout) and only have issues at the tail ends of said time ranges which I supplement w/ Aleve to get bang for the buck.Good luck on your Appt and keep us posted, I a diabetic and would like to hear what your doc says regarding healing times, if you don't mind(via IM if you want privacy)
advertisement