Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NECK PAIN BULGE AFTER 2 SPINE OPERATIONS???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 01/28/2016 - 11:55 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI ALL.

IM 23 YEARS OLD AND I HAVE HAD 2 DISECTOMY ON MY L4/L5 THIS YEAR MY BACK IS NOT BETTER I AM STILL SUFFERING FROM MUSCLE SPASMS IN MY RIBS BUT I AM LIVING WITH IT NOW AS MY LEG PAIN AND LOWER BACK PAIN HAS IMPROVED ABOUT FROM SEVER SPASM IN MY LEFT RIBS.

THE MAJOR PROBLEM I HAVE TODAY IS LEFT SIDED NECK PAIN.
I HAD A MRI SCAN AND IT SHOWED 2 DISC BULGES I JUST WANTED TO ASK ANYONE WHOSE HAD THIS PROBLEM IN THERE NECK BEFORE DO THEY DO DISECTOMYS FOR THE NECK OR IS IT JUST FUSIONS.

ARE NECK OPERATIONS WORSE THEN BACK AS THE BACK OPERATIONS I HAD WERE NOT THAT BAD AND NOT PAINFULL.

BASICALLY ARE NECK OPERATIONS EASIER THEN BACK OPERATIONS AND SUCCESS WISE HOW DO THEY COMPARE CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ALSO TELL ME IF THERE IS A DISECTOMY POSSIBLE FOR NECK PROBLEMS OR IS IT JUST FUSIONS COS THIS IS SCARING ME.

MANY THNX
advertisement

Comments

• I want to welcome you to spine health.

I seriously do not know if they do or not on the neck I would imagine yes. But of course I am not a medical professional and cannot tell you for sure.

Fusions of course are more in depth and more painful then lami's or disectomys. With those your just shaving and shaping the disk itself not removing it.
    With a fusion your getting hardware and grafts to fill in the disk space. The disk is totally removed.Plus there are more restrictions. Longer healing time. As the bone needs to fuse together.

This is somthing your going to have to talk to your surgeon about. They may not even want to do surgery. So don't get to ahead of yourself on that.
    They may want to try other treatments first. As you know surgery is always a last resort.
    Also depends on the size of the bulge if it compressing nerves etc. Causing numbness/tingling/ difference in your gait (walking) etc.

I'm glad your other surgeries went well, without much pain.

So hang in there and wait to talk to your surgeon on what is the best course of treatment for your neck.

Terri O:)
  • O:) Bumping this up for you.
    I see you posted here then under neck to.

Sometimes it takes awhile for responses. Especially since our site was down for maintence for 2 days.

Hang in there more people will come around...

Terri O:)
  • IT SEEMS TO ME YOUR THE ONLY PERSON WHOSE BOTHERED TO REPLY AND THNX FOR BUMPING THIS THREAD FOR ME BUT REALLY I DONT SEE ANY POINT AS MOST PEOPLE ON HERE ARE IGNORENT AND CANT BE BOTHERED TO GIVE ADVISE.

IM SURE THERE ARE HUNDREDS OUT THERE WITH MY PROBLEM BUT THEY ARE JUST IGNORENT FORGET IT I DONT NEED THERE HELP.

BYE
  • I'm sorry you're having such a rough time! I haven't had neck problems in a lot of years, so I can't relate to what you are having. Please know that the people here do care...maybe they just don't have any experience with what you are having trouble with. Hang in there...
  • Hi,
    I am glad I was some help.
    But you have to remember not all people on here are going through what your asking.

Spine surgery is spine surgery whether it be the neck or the lower part of the spine.
    Its to hard to give a answer on if its easier or not.
    My recovery time was less with my neck but that was with 1 level.
    There are many people who have had multi level fusions of the neck and their recovery has taken longer.
    But like I said before don't jump ahead of yourself in worrying about surgery till you find out from a surgeon the degree of the the disk bulge.

There are alot of knowlegdable and caring people around here.
    Alot of postings do get skipped over if they have no advice for a certain question.

Plus like I said our site was down for 2 days. It was for read purposes only.
    Another issue is you may see people logged on, but they may just be reading and are not huge posters.
    Or for like myself if I am in pain. I will read forever but not answer anyone. So please do not take this as a personal attack against you.
    I can say I have been here for over a year. And its the best place I have came to.
    People are not ignorant. I have been on several support groups and I can say this is the best so far for information etc.
    Somtimes it can take a week or more to get a response for someone you can relate to your problem.

Also you can read the post and put your experenince into someone else's post. Build a bond through that.

People tend to skip posts they know nothing about. There are not hundreds of people that have gone through what your going through now.
    Each person is unique in their situation.
    There are so many posts I do not answer because I have not gone through that situation before. So there is no need for me to even try to answer.
    You need to do alot of reading in the back/neck surgery fourm. There is a TON of information on different types of surgeries.
    Treatment fourm tons of treatment options etc. Pain managment fourm, Chronic pain fourm.
    There are so many listed here.

Also if you wouldn't mind not typing in CAPS. I mean if its easier for you to see while reading that is fine.

Mabye rephrasing your post a little you mabye get some more responses.

Also if giving more information into your situation. As in what symptoms are you having with your neck problems.

Is it just neck pain???
    Is it holding you back from doing other things in your life at the time.
    What types of drs or treatments have you tried for this issue???
    What treatments are you using now for your lower back??

Just hang in there. Give it time. This is a support group. To get you through your pain. We are not allowed to give out any medical diagnosis.

The search bar is also a very useful tool on top.

O:) O:) O:)

If you need anything else just ask.
  • I've had multi-level fusion surgery on my neck. C4-C7 and it went quite well. I went home the next day. Spent 3 weeks on STD and was back at work the 4th week. No PT as I was in good health. My restrictions were no lifting for the first 6 weeks. I still have numbness in 2 fingers on my left hand and the Neurologist said it would always stay numb. I herniated c3-c4 last year, simply by riding a tractor. I also ride a motorcycle. But alas, I'm probably going to have to sell it due to L4-S1 surgery coming up. Basically, I thought the neck surgery was a cake walk. But I had plenty of muscle mass to support and protect the bones. I was an amateur bodybuilder prior to all this.
    Brian
advertisement