Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal decompression?

eajosepheeajoseph Posts: 315
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Management
I'm looking at what options might be of use to me. Thus far, cortisone injections haven't done anything but increased the pain and caused some new pain. I'm still hoping that I will feel some relief in another day or two but......

While I was at the PM's office somebody came in and mentioned using a Tens or Muscle stimulator. Am not sure these will help the problems I'm having but will definitely talk to the PM about them. Anything you guys could share on them would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I was doing some research and came across spinal decompression. I'm seeing lots of mixed reviews (I know that not everything works for everyone) but I'm wondering if anyone with similar situations (my list is below) to mine have gotten relief from this type of therapy.

I know that you can't give medical advice but I sure would love to know what others have experienced first hand. Thanks in advance!
advertisement

Comments

• I have never experienced this.
    But my brothers girlfriend went to get a consultation on this.
    She was not a canadite due to the size of the herniation/bulge not sure which one she had.

So its going to depend on whether they think you will benefit from it or not.

Its usually for mild herniations/bulges that are not compremising anything else around it from what she told me.

Tens is ok for the time your using it. Its mainly for muscles. I don't know what relief it would give for a bulging disk.

I know stenosis can be very painful for some patients. Just from over hearing in my ortho's office.
    Of course DDD is a normal part of the aging process of the spine. Which also can be painful depending on the degree.

When I had cortizone for my hips it took about 4 days for me to notice a difference in pain. So hopefully it works for you this time.

Anyways for all the other things just discuss them with your dr and see what they think and if you would benefit from any of those treatments.

Good luck
    Terri O:) O:) O:)

• I had decompression therapy with my chiropractor prior to my surgery as a way to alleviate my pain while waiting for surgery (I postponed it 4 months due to work/personal conflicts). I went once a week for three months.

Prior to the decompression therapy, I had been on steroids, NSAIDS, muscle relaxers, wearing a neck brace and nothing really helped. I asked about cortisone injections, but my spinal column and neural foramen were so narrowed the NS didn't think there was even enough epidural space to give an injection!

Seriously, before surgery this was the best pain reliever I found. I almost canceled my surgery because all of my numbness and tingling disappeared and I was nearly pain-free. But decompression is not a cure....the spinal stenosis, bone spurs and narrowed neural foramen were not going to magically go away, and even my chiropractor urged me to go through with the surgery.

My problems were in my neck, while yours are in your lower back, so I don't know if you would have similar reaction to decompression. However, I did feel pulling in my lower back during the treatments, so I'm sure it wasn't just isolated to decompressing only my cervical vertebrae.
  • I had the consultation with a local Chiro that specializes in Spinal Decompression. After being told that I would need to pay $5,000 for the treatment, I began researching the cited journal articles. In my investigating of the cited journal articles I found:

1. No evidence supporting any actual disk decompression resulted from SDT (Spinal Decompression Therapy).

2. No evidence dispelling any actual decompression resulted from SDT.

3. All results used to gauge the SDT were in the form of a pain questionnaire. No x-rays, MRI's, or any other form of spectroscopy were used to gauge SDT's results.

4. No placebo group was a part of any SDT study. Some clinical trial participants will report an improvement if they go through some sort of 'sugar pill' therapy.

5. Only descriptive statistics were used to analyze the results. This means that height, weight, and age (etc) were the only factors used in analyzing the results.

6. Only preliminary studies have been performed on SDT. A more comprehensive study is needed to gauge the actual efficacy on the targeted and adjacent disks.

7. All cited journal articles were in the 'Pain Management' field.

8. No top tier medical journals (i.e. New England Journal of Medicine) have SDT articles as of 8 May 2009.