Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Foot numbness and Pain - saw Podiatrist

juliejjulie Posts: 213
Hi,
After 4 back surgeries and for almost 2 years suffering with a very numb and painful foot (9 months since last surgery), I kept insisting something was wrong with my ankle and foot. My surgeon ordered an MRI, EMG and nerve conduction test. Then he sent me to the Podiatrist/surgeon. I found out that sometime in my life I tore all my ligaments on the outside of the ankle, I have Tarsal tunnel, veins that are inflamed and pressing on nerves and muscles that aren't working. He wanted to change medication around and I think is going to make a brace and see what happens. Well one of the medications is a Sulfa Drug which I had noted on their paperwork I was allergic to.
I have spent 2 days calling them and waiting to see what the doctor wanted to do only to finally get them to tell me that the doctor is in surgery on Thursday's and Friday's so they have no way of getting ahold of him and I should just not take it and show up for follow-up on Wednesday. I told them that was incredible and disappointing.
I plan on telling the doctor all this and if this is the way he runs his office I will go elsewhere. What I worry about is what if I had taken it and had an allergic reaction? They would have been of no help. That isn't the way it should be.
I continue to push for a solution to this unfortunate result from my surgeries. I hope this conservative treatment works. He said surgery would solve some of the problems but he would rather not have to do surgery. I am willing to be patient and glad he is too. I am just not impressed with his staff at the moment.
julie
advertisement

Comments

• I would be mad too Julie. They should be taking care of their patients. As always, you are in my thoughts and I hope for the best.

Love ya.

Yvonne
  • for responding. I was worried no one would respond. You are in my thoughts too and you have been a great supporting friend. That is one thing that has been so neat is that my most supportive friends have come from SH. That is cause we get it and then can support one another.
    Today I got worried when my legs and feet wouldn't support me while I waited in line to vote early. I seemed to have two feet wanting to go in different directions. And forget walking up and down stairs. My right leg is horrible for some reason. Called my local doc but I guess he was gone this weekend. Something is wrong and I don't know what, but it is getting worse.
    julie
  • Hi Julie
    I was also diagnosed with an EMG of having tarsal tunnel in both of my feet 10 months ago by the neurologist. Initally I went to my podiatrist for the enourmous foot/ankle/leg pain, tingling and numbness. I also have plantar faciatis in both feet, and a bone spur on one foot. I also had torn my ligaments several years back in the foot that hurts the worse. All my doctors, including my podiatrist, say that the tarsal tunnel is very rare to have in BOTH feet so that is when I was referred for spine surgery (I have degenerative discs at L4-S1, degenerative facet joints, and an old disc tear at L5-S1). I just had transforaminal steroid injections at L5-S1 and the burning, tingling and some of the heel pain was gone (only for 3 weeks). Therapy I have tried is wearing night splints, iontophoresis, PT, electrical muscle stimulator, none of which have worked or worked for a few days..
    I have been concerned that I have not had an MRI as I have read, just as in your case, that there could be veins causing the tarsal tunnel as well. My podiatrist said that if I have a fusion, that it will treat the tarsal tunnel, so he has not mentioned any other treatments for it. Then one of the surgeons I went to in the summer regarding having a fusion said that tarsal tunnel is SOOO rare, 1 in 20,000, that it is almost always coming from the back. I was curious if both of your feet are affected, and if there any other treatments you have been told by your doctor that I have not mentioned. I am walking on a thin sheet of ice and about to loose it. I am not ready for spine surgery for various reasons, but can not believe that my feet hurt as bad as they do and that there is NOTHING else to do but have surgery. This is keeping me from working, walking very long, sitting too long, etc. None of my shoes fit anymore because they get so swollen and hurt my feet. All I wear are my tennis shoes with the orthotics that my podiatrist made for me, and they don't help much.

Sorry to hear about your doctors office. Hopefully they straighten things up. These days, you have to be careful and watch out for yourself, especially with drug allergies.
    Take care,
    Kris
  • all too well. Wow, thanks so much for taking the time to write. My foot issue came after my surgeries in my back. I finally asked my surgeon to check out my ankle and low and behold all of what I wrote before happened. You asked if it is in both ankles and I don't know. My right leg is losing coordination and strength and control daily. The EMG showed problems in both legs and next week I will have an MRI for my back and head. They want to check for a reason for all of this.
    I saw the podiatrist today and this time things went very well. He changed my medications and is hoping to control the neuropathy pain. He told me to go and buy high top sneakers to get support in my left ankle. He may make a brace for me if these sneakers help. I found some that worked but fashionable they aren't. LOL.
    Kris, my doctors have not yet determined if my foot or my back is causing this. I know I have compression on both ends of the L5 and S1 nerve roots now so they can't heal until one end is uncompressed. I do understand your fear of surgeries. Mine helped stabilize my back and I do not have any back or hip pain. This foot pain is controlling my life as you described. I also have my bladder being controlled by this numbing. So L4 is involved too.
    I started acupuncture months ago and that helped my foot get back to a normal color. He hasn't been able to reduce my pain in it. Nothing I have done seems to reduce the pain. If you want to chat please PM me so we can support each other. Maybe by putting our heads together we can figure this out. I think it is worth a try. Hang on and keep hope.
    Hugs and hope to talk with you soon,
    Julie
advertisement