Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cracking noise

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 51,465
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have noticed that whenever I move my neck,head, there is grinding sound and sometimes my really loud cracking sound. Most times I turn my neck to crack it to relieve tightness. Is this something I should not be doing?
My other question is, when I left other arms over my head and and my head is bent backward, this causes total collapse of my legs. This has happened several times. No doctor seems to say that its is caused by my herniated cervical disc.
I do have herniation of the c-5, c-6 and bulging of c6-c7.
I have increase tightness of my neck and seems like there are huge bumps along my neck spine.
I still have shoulder pain and now electric type pain along my ribs when I swipe or rake.
I also have increased dizziness, but Ent said it was not my ears but something about my occipital motor related to the CNS. Don't know what that means either.

I know this is a lot, but I would really appreciate any response. I am so tired of going to different doctors all saying that it is not my herniated disc, but then not telling me what is going on. Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• I have cracking grinding in my spine and I have DDD and L5-S1 herniation. My spine feels very unstable with the grinding. I'm quite concerned you have leg weakness. Are you seeing a Neurologist? I had leg weakness but not to that extent. Hope you find some answers. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My neck makes the same sounds. My physica therapist said it was the bulging disc making those sounds.

Bulges from c5-c6, c6-7, c7-t1
  • My PT said my cracking noises and feeling of neck "hanging up" were from the osteophytes. Also told me it wasn't damaging anything. Not sure I believe that, sure is scary sometimes.
  • Yes i was told the same thing i had alot of grinding noises in my neck during therapy and was told that it was the arthritis in my neck. the dizziness i have as well,what he's telling you is that its caused by something to do with you spinal cord as mine is.Do you have cord compression or an injury to it?
  • Thank you all for your replies. I have not had a new MRI done since my last one almost a year ago. I was told at that time I may have DDD. At this point, I have seen a neurologist and a physical MD. Everytime I tell them some new symptoms, I am just told it is not my c-spine herniation. I am really rather not go to a neuro surgeon, since most seem to be too knife happy. I don't want to be in a worse shape than I am already.
  • My neck cracks when i lift anything heavy or turning in a certain direction????...Why???..It cracks whenever.
  • I have a herniation at c7-t1. Happened about 6 months ago in a car accident. I notice that every so often when I turn my head to the side it cracks once. THen of course it doesnt happen again right away. Seems to me that it is after I have been keeping my head straight for a while and then turn. I also have the ear ache and dizzyness. When I look up or around like when shopping I get very uncomfortable. Not quite pain but I don't feel well.

So far none of my pain or symptoms can relate to the herniation according to the doctors. On bad days I get very angry that they can charge so much and say to little. Everyday I pray for an answer so I know what I have to deal with the rest of my life.
  • 10 years ago, i had a spinal fusion of L5-S1. Recently, the area about it has started cracking, leg goes numb. Dr said my x-ray is normal, but neuro said there is permanant damage and nothing can be done. Should I see an Orthopedic dr also?
  • I have seen three Orthoropedic doctors and they say that its gas as well, after seeing a chiropractor at the age of 27 and seeing him for one year and the last three months seeing him twice a week, he finaly said that there is nothing left for him to do. Now im 38 and the problems have increased and getting the same answer from the doctors as i got 11 years ago, and working heavy construction for more than 15 years. Why havent Any of you doctors done more research on this topic. It's not gas, there's more to it. I heard it 11 years ago and im tired of that. Don't any of you research, other than what they write in a magazine. 11 years and it's in your head or gas????? HMMMM now i have partial loss of feeling in my right lower leg and i've told doctors and they have listened and heard the grind. Whats funny its gass but if it was in the knee or the ankle it's worn cartilage. I have theories for the doctors researching this for 11 years and non have listened. If there is a doctor that will reply to this with a private message i'll give you what i have. Maybe some one will smart'n up and look out side the box. LOL
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,587
    There are many doctors who specialize in diagnosis spinal problems. You do seem to be very negative regarding the medical field and research.

From your post, it is hard to tell exactly what diagnostic tests you have had, if you are on any type of medications, what your doctors have told you in terms of treatment.

Doctors do not just tell patients , No, there is nothing I can do. If a patient accepts that answer, then they are also to blame. We owe it to ourselves to question doctors and analysis. If it doesnt seem right, we should be going to have a second opinion.

If doctors and others have not done all the research, then spinal surgery would be as ancient
    as it was 30 years ago. So much new procedures have been introduced to make things easier for the patients
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have popping in my neck and it is clear on the imaging that a disc is herniated. It does sound like bone on bone. What type of test have they run, like MRI, Myelograms, discogram, x-rays? As far as the paralysis in the lower limb, have they done a emg study or any sensory testing? By any chance did they mention you have degenative disc disease? Keep in mind at your age everyone's spine is going to show issues, just the nature of how it works. Try looking at a dermatone map and see if any of your leg issues match the where you are hearing the noise.

This is a forum for patients. Not to many doctors actually will blog on here. I agree with Ron being you need to be your own advocate and find some answers. There isn't much in your post that a doctor could answer if they were responding to post. Someone just saying they have noise in the spine, wouldn't lead them to any conclusions at all. I would keep looking for a doctor whom can help you. Possible see a neurologist they may have some insights as to your issues and can refer you out from there. It is possible the paralysis in the leg is unrelated to the issues you are having in your spine. Take care.
  • I appologize for the negativity But 11 years ago i started feeling an unusual pain in my back along with grinding where the pain existed. My doctor did xrays and found nothing,so i was told to goto a chiropractor. after a year starting once a month and ending in three days a week, the ciropractor told me my back, could not be corrected in those means.Surgery would be the only alturnative for me but my doctor dissagreed. That was 11 years ago. After five opinions I gave up, and delbt with the disconfort and pain.untill two years ago i started having extreme pain in my legs and arms and after poping my back the pain subsided.After two - three hrs of movement back to the same situation. i started seeing another ortheropedic that found a couple minor degenerative discs and an blocked nerve in my l5 area that was causing my groinal pain but not telling me.another ortheropedic told me on a second op.and still they still tell me that my back is not that bad from the catscan. Now i have pains going to my stomache, kidneys, and chest. After self treatment they subside. but the grinding areas still cause me great pain. i have had nerve tests, physical theropy for three months making it worse and the PTP said it wasn't working just posibly doing more damage in those areas. And medications I told my doctor no narcotics if possible unless absolutly nessesary.Well trial and ERROR,has been the case, meds were neurotin, cimbulta, lyrica, two epidurals the second damaged another nerve that constantly hurts as well now.And an antiflamitory by injection, i can't take ibuprofin, or asprin. After doing some studying my scan and finding a few other things thatmight be causes, fracture lines in four vertibres, and no one is looking at those. the worst part is i get the same answers, it doesn't look bad and nothing else can be done at this time. i have tried to work and was let go due to incompletion of duties due to the pain. walking and standing hurts, sitting for long periods hurt. Now ive been known to work with broken bones,pulled mucscles, even with a 6"torn abdomonBut this is too much. I have a family i need to support and have no income and have been out of work for a 1.5 years living on state assistance. I have no support by any doctors in fixing this or temporary disability to help out. 11 years ago i heard nothing can be done at this time, Now three thousand forums with the same issues and the same medical responses. 11 years of complaints of gringing poping no from gas but bone pulling bone. if it was gass there would a coushin and not grinding.
    As for what hasn't been done in 11 years in the medical field i've done on a personal level, and have possibilities but only docs know best????
    I need some one to say i have an answer.
  • Read the reply to ron as far as a neurologist goes thats next. but as for alll of the tests you mentioned, well all ahve been done, i was just clearly stating that my back pain has been going on for 11 years, and most of the pain is where the grinding happens. After 9 years of grinding now these other symptoms are occuring, and to see others going through the same thing and people are being told its gas in the joints well some i can say yes but not all, and more should be looked into other theories. For many years a few people complained that their body hurt all of time, diagnosis:vibral mialga, a lump in the breast 40 years ago was just a cyst. The medical field is working on better diagnostics but if they don't have a clear picture then, solving the problems. I was dianosed with DDD, but three doctors say it's not bad enough to cause the symptoms, so what is it then? And how many people out there are suffering from this that are misdiagnosed, or undiagnosed. Im just giving my voice and if there is any one out there that has had a doctor that had an answer maybe they could give me some thing or some one to turn to with a solution. And hope that i don't go crippled waiting for the solution and others as well.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,301
    aldo berardi said:
    I have theories for the doctors researching this for 11 years and non have listened. If there is a doctor that will reply to this with a private message i'll give you what i have.LOL
    Aldo,

In this and another thread - you imply that you have the answers to these and other conditions.

Would you please share with us what your research has revealed? I am sure that even though we are not doctors - we would benefit from your findings assuming they are sound and substaintiated.

Why the request for PM's - share your secrets with the spiney world! (Please)

D
  • That's the truth. For everyone here with a clear diagnosis there are 10 who struggle to find the true source of their problem. The body is an incredibly complex thing. We also have doctors who are educated in one specific area and often will not look outside that box.

I had an MRI that showed my herniation yet an orthosurgeon said it didn't match my pain so it wasn;t the problem. The neurologist said the same and treated me for months. It wasn't until I went back to the first doctor and demanded they look again that they showed me the report. Even then I had another surgeon who said it couldn't be and even if it was it wasn't bad enough to operate.

Well 2 months later the original pain is gone. Pain that couldn't be caused by that herniation.

The moral of the story is don't give up. Find a new doctor and have them take a fresh look. Keep researching and keep asking questions. Keeping accurate notes is also critical. You need to know which doc said what and when you move one way what happens. Memory is faulty at best and when you are in pain it is completely unreliable.
  • My 3rd PM Dr. said "interesting that the MRI shows no disc herniation and annular tear that you had last year but experience the same symptoms as if you still had the herniation at L5-S1". I had facet injections and S1 and an epidural. Now the cracking shifting noise is gone mainly and I thought it was an unstable spine! Keep looking for someone to help with the pain. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement