Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion 7/24/08 worked out well

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi guys , I'm back to work and wanted to thank everyone for putting out info that helped thru this. I had a fusion on 7/24/08 Plif with two bars and screws bmi (protein stuff)and cadaver bone . I've tried to write as things have changed so someone else could benifit . I'm one of the lucky ones as i have no more pain down the leg and seem to be on my way back to normal . To update; From day one to day five from surgery I woke ,took drugs and slept . After that i stopped the drugs and began walking ( seems to be the best thing for recovery) Used a walker at first (about 3 to 5 days )got a thing for the toliet for a month and I have grabbers in every room (I' keeping them forever ) . Then a walking stick for steping up steps and curbs for a few weeks . Got up to 3 to 5 mi a day by the end of first mth. Went to the local mall and walked up and down the steps once or twice a week . I had a problem with infection on the 3rd week and had to go to the doc every day for 2 weeks to get it cleaned out . So keep an eye on the incision even after some time .I had to change my mattress as it began to bother me at one point . Using info from here and sleep like the dead site I bought a firm bed and used a 2in cool memory foam topper which has worked well for me . The only pt i was allowed up to returning to work was walking .No lifting more than 10 lbs no BLt . I've lost some strenght and after working all week I'm beat up a bit . But no pain so I feel great about that . I work as a engineer mechanic (inside building work) so I'm on my feet all day climbing and and work with heavy tools and equip . I'm back at full duty as of 10/20 . I know I have some way to go to regain full strenght so I'm trying to be carefull .After a month of working the doc says I can go back to my second job and also return to the gym . So for me the surgery gave my life back and i feel great . It seems it isn't for everyone , and feel for those who can't rid themselfs of pain. I used a nerosurgen that was highly recomended and went to a small local Hosp. The surgery did take the wind out of my sails and I got some new grey hairs .I'm 53 (male)and was in decent shape before surgery I used akins to stay light before surgery and (started gaining due to inactivity from back pain) continue adkins now .my work requires a lot walking and steps so it was easy for me to walk for recovery .So if you are in pain and considering surgery maybe this will show that there is hope for you . Find the best Doc that you can and walk your tail off and Good luck Seamoose
advertisement

Comments

• Thanks for sharing your story and always great to hear about success! I am looking to do fusion surgery as well, having tried conservative treatment, I feel that I spend my life managing pain and I am so restricted from activities, I can't live like this anymore. Anyhow, you give me hope!

Exactly how long were you out from work? You say back at full duty 10/20, did you do a part time schedule for awhile? I have a desk job, and would love to be out for as little time as possible. My doc thinks 8 weeks is normal to expect & return with same restrictions as you (no lifting, and of course no blt). Just curious, I know everyone is different though.
    -Melissa
  • Yeah baby!!
    So glad things are going well for you.
    It's stories like yours that need to be posted.
    To show people it does happen and not all back surgery is "negative".
    I also consider last years surgery a total sucess story. except for the fact of not fusing. Hey it happens and well WE FINALLY FOUND OUT WHY this week!!!
    I have to go in for major surgery AGAIN, but hey when its done I can walk walk walk, dance dance dance and FUSE FUSE FUSE.
    There was no hardly any blood flow going to the area of fusion SOOOOOOOOOOOOO I did not fuse.

But enough about me. I wish you continued sucess and a awesome recovery.
    Please keep updating us on how things are going, the bad, good and ugly :D :D :D :D :D

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
  • Yippee! So good to hear of your success. I will be returning to work soon as well to a physical job, RN. You give me hope that it can be done. Thanks for coming back to post your success, it helps the rest of us trying to get through this. Take care, >:D< Sue
  • a success story! I know that there are many out there, but this one just now, encourages me more that all will work out!
    The problem for me is that I can barely walk! I have a pinch which makes my legs "give out", but oh well. It will all get better with time. (I'm 4 weeks out of ALIF)
    I'm just glad to hear you are off and better and getting back to work! Good for you!
    Take care!
    Kim >:D<
  • Nice to see a success story. Hopefully everything goes well with mine. I'm also in a heavy labor job.
advertisement