Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posterior cervical discectomy recovery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Management
It has been 10 months since my surgery and I am still coping with problems. Has anyone out there had this surgery? I do my exercises fairly religously...4-6 times a week. I am still having problems.
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to spine health. We are here to offer our own personal experiences but not medical advice.

Iv had a cervical fusion so I cannot relate.
    Have you had another MRI to see if you have a re -herniation the disk??
    Or if there is other disks causing problems??
    What type of issues are you still having????
    How many levels did you have done??
    What has your dr said about it??

Sorry for all the questions but it will help us understand your situation better.

Personally my own opinion you should be feeling better by now.

I wish I had some more answers for you.
    Please check out our back/neck surgery fourm. There are alot of recovery stories posted.

Plus you may get more reponses from that thread then the pain managment fourm.

Hang in there
    Terri O:)
  • a lumbar discectomy and my recovery was rough and took a long time. As a matter of fact, I am 10 months out and have not recovered yet. Of course my surgery was failed so this may be as good as it is going to get. Sorry that you are experiencing this.
  • Just curious as to what your problems may be. Are they myelopathy problems? I had a posterior cervical Laminectomy 7 months ago and am still dealing with muscle spasms and some head aches if I over do things. In my case they did ACDF surgery first and then did the laminectomy,they removed the lamina from c5,c6,c7. I have noticed a increase of weight at PT over the last 4 months, but not where I think I should be. This recovery (posterior) has been much harder than my ACDF's were. Hope that things get better for you.

mark
  • That my problems are coming from the arthritis in my facet joints and my DDD. But, I have had much worse pain since the surgery. I still get the sciatica if I sit or stand too long. I can not walk any distance without my back locking up on me and some days I can not even get out of bed due to the pain. Before surgery I was having rhizotomy (nerve burn) done and it helped with about 80% of my pain. I had to have them yearly so my doc recommended discogram and then surgery saying that I probably would not need yearly rhizotomy. Of course I jumped at the chance. For the first 4-5 months I could not even raise my right leg, sit in upright position, walk or drive. Now I still have days when I still can't do these things. I am on long term opiates which do help. My discectomy was radical (removed most of the disc at L3/L4). I think that this has caused my back to become unstable. On the days that I wear a brace I can tell a big improvement. Yes, I do continue to have major muscle spasms.
advertisement