Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie Introduction

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
Welcome Everyone,

My name is Susieq2u,

I am very new to all this. I am so very happy to have found such a wonderful positive site, with nice people.

Just a bit about myself, I am a mom of a great 13 year old daughter. She and my husband have really been through a lot with me not being able to do all the things in life I love to do.

January this year, I moved a few large pieces of furniture. I usually do..... I was hurt 3 weeks later with lower back pain. I have gone thru all the steps offered by my medical group

physical therapy (almost killed me)
epidural injections did work when I first came out for about after the pain went away from the shot. I thought it would work but lasted only for a day or two.
then meds started really increasing as doc provided. (I would not take much because of fear though)
I was told to go total bed rest for 1 to 3 months to see if the disc would stay where it was suppose to (never really getting a strong feeling of what was wrong)
then I was told to try acupuncture(was a BIG mistake for me)
Now this week I saw the surgeon
My systems are the last disc is moving in and out when I am up (sitting or standing) I can't feel my three toes on either foot or the top half of either foot, I have pain running down the upper part of the back of both legs and severe lower back pain all the time.
The surgeon has ordered what he calls a 2hour MRI, a Facet Block to rule out any arthritis, and a EMG to see how bad my nerves are.

Any and all advice on the Facet Block I am open too. I am scared. He also said I have bone density problems which could be a large problem and a big part in what surgery will come. He didn't want to scare me because I am, but he did want to let me know, but he said the MRI will show just what he needs and he has a previous one he will compare to at next appointment which he didn't look at yet.

Thanks for reading.

Susieq2u
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you are on the steady course of finding an accurate diagnosis. :? that is really a first step to deciding how to treat you. the other tests will help as well. don't worry about the block. it is uncomfortable but i am sure the doctor will make it as pain free as possible. it only takes a few moments and then you will probably be sore for a day or two. check out the top of the forum under "Treatments" and you will get a good idea of what to expect. please make yourself at home here. good luck as your pursue treatment. and please consider getting a second opinion if surgery is suggested. there are many people here who can attest at to the importance of it!! Jenny :)
  • Once you get the MRI and other tests then the Dr. will let you know what needs to be done. We're here for support when you need it. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I love your screen name and your motto! I try and live my life exactly the same. treat everyone the way that you would like to be treated. Wouldn't it be great if everyone practiced this? I have arthritis in my facet joints and have gone through all of the injections. They are very useful diagnostic tools. Do not be afraid of them. It may be painful but they will numb the area and it will not be unbearable. And you may actually get some pain relief from it. I totally understand your fear because I once was where you are. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask and I will be glad to answer anything that I can. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • It took me abit to figure out that I got replies from this am. Thank you for your kind words. I have my injections within the next 2 weeks. I really can't wait to just get all this done to see what will work. I am trying to stay positive. Thanks again
advertisement